JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kawaiitori (Offline)
JF Regular

hiragana, katakana or kanji? - 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM

I am just starting to learn japanese and know a bit of hiragana and I was wondering if I should carry on with that or go to katakana or kanji instead?

which is most commonly used?

please help if you can ^_^

kawaii tori

^_^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-31-2008, 11:58 AM

First learn both hiragana and katakana, as you can learn them pretty fast and they're not that hard. Then sink your teeth into Kanji...

Learning kanji without knowing hiragana is both weird and kinda unrealistic.

なんでやねん!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hackimoto (Offline)
Fighting the blues

07-31-2008, 01:51 PM

I started by learning the Katakana because I knew it was the first thing they learn is school. Then I moved on to the Hirigana which is just slighty harder I think. So If you already know them then Katakana should be easy. It may feel redundant but it's worth it to know even though it's not used as commonly. In fact I sometimes almost forget a few of them because I see them a lot less often. Kanji is a continuous struggle, and as I've said to others before the best thing to do is learn the radicals which are the most basic word forms which are combine together to make bigger words. sort of like english words such as 'circumnavigation'. It's a big word made up of little words.
Here are some sites which may help you. I wish you good fortune in your studies.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\learning\Kanji Radicals.mht
C:\Users\Public\Documents\learning\Kanji by Grade.mht

(#4 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackimoto View Post
C:\Users\Public\Documents\learning\Kanji Radicals.mht
C:\Users\Public\Documents\learning\Kanji by Grade.mht
Those are addresses for files on your computer. They don't work on the internet.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-31-2008, 02:17 PM

A lot of literature will have hiragana above the Kanji to show its pronounciation, so you do need to master Hiragana. Katakana are used to "translate" a lot of borrowed English words, names and places, so you will have to know that too, otherwise you won't know where you are going or location and such
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Personally, I feel that katakana is more difficult to get than hiragana, but as it was mentioned, you should definitely learn these first before trying kanji.

Oh,and a good way of getting both, is to constantly write them out, something I need to do myself. It's sad that I still have trouble with remembering katakana characters.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kiyuge (Offline)
o(≧ω≦)o

Send a message via AIM to Kiyuge Send a message via MSN to Kiyuge Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyuge
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM

I think you should stick with learning Hirigana first then move on to Katakana after that and save Kanji for last.

Family:
Husband: Aota
Wife: Kiyuga
Master: Kiyuga, IonFortuna
Sisters: Nekozawa, HinataUchiha
Borhters: Sutiiven.
Silly Side-kick: Slykaz1
Secret Lover: SonozakiSotaro

I own:
Mitsu & Hachi- Dolly
Yasu - Acid Black Cherry
Furukawa - Nookicky
KAZ - Oblivian Dust

¬_¬
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jml5083 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2008, 03:51 PM

I learned Hiragana first, then Katakana. Either way, get one or the other down before you do the other. I think of it as Capital and Lower Case although I know that's not how they function. But it's two ways to write the same syllable.

Once you have both of those down, then focus on Kanji. But I personally never put much effort into that... probably because of the sheer number of them and because I was told not even most Japanese remember ALL the kanji -- hence hiragana written over kanji, I suppose.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml5083 View Post
I learned Hiragana first, then Katakana. Either way, get one or the other down before you do the other. I think of it as Capital and Lower Case although I know that's not how they function. But it's two ways to write the same syllable.

Once you have both of those down, then focus on Kanji. But I personally never put much effort into that... probably because of the sheer number of them and because I was told not even most Japanese remember ALL the kanji -- hence hiragana written over kanji, I suppose.
no one knows ALL the kanji (unless god exists) but most japanese people can at least recognise the 1945 joyo kanji at least

「人は生れながら自由で 、しかもいたるところで鎖に縛られている」
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sutocorporation (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I think it is right