JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
untitled (Offline)
New to JF

12-01-2008, 01:12 AM

Thank you everybody!!~~ And a ton of thanks to you, Shuka. You've cleared up quite a lot of stuff.
Sorry about not posting for a while..trying to cram everything for school in during Thanksgiving break. I still have quite a load I plan to finish, so I had better get going..I do have more questions that I remember now, though, I'll post it here, just for the sake of not over-stretching the questions thread.

1/ What is "kedo"? I think I remember hearing "desu-kedo" on TV but maybe my ears we playing tricks on me because I use them too much. If there is such thing as "desukedo" then the other form would be "dakedo"? And "dakedo" also means "but/however", along with "shikashi", and "tadashi", right?

2/Is there a past tense for "~iru" and "~aru"? I think the ~masu form is "imashita" and "shimashita"..I think. And is there a ~te form for it too?

3/On the computer, I have a hard time typing づ. I can't "type" it. I have to draw it on the IME thing. Is there a way to type it so it's faster? I'm fine with drawing if there isn't, though. Along with っ and ぢ.

4/How do you use "sorekara", "korekara"? I have a hard time with "kara", I'm sorry.

5/ Is the verb "make" and "give" 作る and 与える? I don't really trust the online translators that much, but that's what it gave me.

6/What is the difference between "iu" and "hanasu"? They both mean "speak", right? Which is more common and when to use which?

7/"~no tame ni" is "for" right? But I have a feeling when I say "okurimono no tame ni arigatou gozaimasu"...that it's wrong. The online translators say "okurimono arigatougozaimasu", and I think that's correct. Then how do I use "~no tame ni"?..Would the "for" in these two sentences be different? :"This game is for him." and "This game is for the Playstation."?

8/ How do you say "also" as sort of like a conjunction? Like "Also, please give the letter to her". Is it "to"? Or "ya"?...

9/What is the difference between "jikan" and "toki"?

10/ "dewa" is a little confusing to me. I thought "dewa" was like "well then,". But when I remembered "don't like" was "suki dewa nai" then, I was confused. There is no connection on the use of "dewa" there right? It's just two, separate, different things?... And how come this verb has "dewa-nai" instead of a negative like "hanasanai" which is all like one word, but this one is "suki-dewa-nai"?

11/"Desu" is sort of like a verb, right? So "da" is the casual from, "datta" is the past of the casual form..is "datte" the ~te form? Is there even a ~te form?..

Sorry for asking so much! I probably ask the most annoying questions, sumimasen. みんなさん、どうもありがとうございました!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-01-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled View Post
Thank you everybody!!~~ And a ton of thanks to you, Shuka. You've cleared up quite a lot of stuff.
Sorry about not posting for a while..trying to cram everything for school in during Thanksgiving break. I still have quite a load I plan to finish, so I had better get going..I do have more questions that I remember now, though, I'll post it here, just for the sake of not over-stretching the questions thread.

1/ What is "kedo"? I think I remember hearing "desu-kedo" on TV but maybe my ears we playing tricks on me because I use them too much. If there is such thing as "desukedo" then the other form would be "dakedo"? And "dakedo" also means "but/however", along with "shikashi", and "tadashi", right?

2/Is there a past tense for "~iru" and "~aru"? I think the ~masu form is "imashita" and "shimashita"..I think. And is there a ~te form for it too?

3/On the computer, I have a hard time typing づ. I can't "type" it. I have to draw it on the IME thing. Is there a way to type it so it's faster? I'm fine with drawing if there isn't, though. Along with っ and ぢ.

4/How do you use "sorekara", "korekara"? I have a hard time with "kara", I'm sorry.

5/ Is the verb "make" and "give" 作る and 与える? I don't really trust the online translators that much, but that's what it gave me.

6/What is the difference between "iu" and "hanasu"? They both mean "speak", right? Which is more common and when to use which?

7/"~no tame ni" is "for" right? But I have a feeling when I say "okurimono no tame ni arigatou gozaimasu"...that it's wrong. The online translators say "okurimono arigatougozaimasu", and I think that's correct. Then how do I use "~no tame ni"?..Would the "for" in these two sentences be different? :"This game is for him." and "This game is for the Playstation."?

8/ How do you say "also" as sort of like a conjunction? Like "Also, please give the letter to her". Is it "to"? Or "ya"?...

9/What is the difference between "jikan" and "toki"?

10/ "dewa" is a little confusing to me. I thought "dewa" was like "well then,". But when I remembered "don't like" was "suki dewa nai" then, I was confused. There is no connection on the use of "dewa" there right? It's just two, separate, different things?... And how come this verb has "dewa-nai" instead of a negative like "hanasanai" which is all like one word, but this one is "suki-dewa-nai"?

11/"Desu" is sort of like a verb, right? So "da" is the casual from, "datta" is the past of the casual form..is "datte" the ~te form? Is there even a ~te form?..

Sorry for asking so much! I probably ask the most annoying questions, sumimasen. みんなさん、どうもありがとうございました!
1.) Kedo just means "even though", so "desu kedo" would be a fragment in a larger sentence meaning "Even though it's..."

"Dakedo" is more like "however", "shikashi" is more like "but".

2.) Imashita is the past polite form for iru, but shimashita is the past polite for suru, not aru

What you're looking for is "arimashita".

There are -te forms for iru and aru as well, those being "ite" and "atte" respectively.

3.) Type "zu" for the dakuten-tsu, double the following consonant for the small-tsu, and type "di" for the dakuten-chi (sorry, this computer doesn't have Japanese typing enabled).

4.) Kara just means "because", but "sorekara" means "after that", and "korekara" means "after this".

5.) Yep.

6.) "Iu" is more along the lines of "say", while "hanasu" is more "speak". If you ever have a particular context where you're not sure which is best, you can always ask about it.

7.) "Tame(ni)" on its own is used for expressing purpose in a sentence, while "no tame(ni)" is something along the lines of "for the sake of". For example, "Anata no tame da" -> "It's for your own good".

The "for" in your last two English sentences would be different, but you'll have to ask someone more experienced as to how to say it

8.) "Soushite" is the first thing that came to mind, but there might be something better.

9.) Gee, you've got me stumped there. "Jikan" is probably the word you'd use to refer to time in the most general sense (e.g., "I've got no time", "Time's going quick", etc.) but I'll let someone else give a more detailed explanation.

10.) I'm unfamiliar with "dewa nai"; you probably meant "jya nai" there. That's the plain negative copula, "dewa arimasen" is the polite negative copula.

11.) Yep, except that "de" is the -te form, "datte" is one of those general-purpose conjunctions meaning "but", "however", "yet", "even though", or whatever else you want it to mean.

Whew. Hope that helps. Please take my answers with a grain of salt until Nagoyankee comes along and corrects them
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Since a lot of your questions seem to be mainly in the grammar area if you haven't already i would suggest looking through Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar guide (Since it is also free) here: Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar

Perhaps it will help you understand different forms etc.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
untitled (Offline)
New to JF

12-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Thank you so much!! Your explanations are great. I'm going to write this down, and then let it all sink in to me. I'm really, really, hoping that I don't have much work to do during the winter break, so I can focus more on learning Japanese. But for now, after finish writing this down, I have to work on a couple of things, so I'll have to go. Again, thank you!

Thanks, I'll check out that site too!~

Thank you everyone so much!!