JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Oh Just Spotted My Mistake:
Take Your Time. After All Learning Another Language Takes Time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Save your energy. If this person wanted to learn so bad they would have started on their own. They want help with alphabet? if there calling it an alphabet then they truely are a begginer. Stay behind a year? sounds like bullcrap to me. its all lies IMO.
Ya, You Just Gotta Work For What You Want, Can't Just Sit and Expect Things To Happen.

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#12 (permalink))
Old
LadyRowena (Offline)
New to JF

12-12-2008, 05:54 AM

Try Hiragana and Katakana Practice - Real Kana for learning your Kana, I've found them fabulous, flashcards are how I learned to read as a small child. So, you can go into the katakana/hiragana section and tell them the kana that you want to learn, what sort of fonts you want (trust me, kana fonts can make the character look nothing like the original, not too unlike English cursive ) I've been told by linguists that the most basic way to learn a language is
Alphabet
Grammar
Words
Read/listen to language in books, tv, news papers, etc. (Note: Do NOT try and learn japanese through music, that's like trying to learn English through rap or pop, you'll sound really weird and rude)
So, if you start by learning the alphabet (a big help), then go to the grammar, learn basic word structure, the particles, the tenses, and then start learning the words and their kanji (many of which you'll have picked up in grammar), you'll be off to a great start. For grammar, the best one I've found is "Japanese Grammar" by Carol and Nobuo Akiyama, I've gotten a lot of Japanese books but this one put it in the simplest, best way I've seen, and they even use Romaji. For general usage, I recommend Genki (they're a bit hard to do at first, they start off immediately using Kana and Kanji, but that's cool in its own way), even if it is expensive as hell. But, if you're willing to risk it, I think there are torrent versions of it out there. Also, Instant Immersion Japanese is good. By the way, your teacher should be shot for calling you stupid. That crosses the line of basic human decency, much less professionalism.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

12-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRowena View Post
(Note: Do NOT try and learn japanese through music, that's like trying to learn English through rap or pop, you'll sound really weird and rude)
hehe, this was a mistake I made just after my A-Level Japanese in England. To practice my Japanese, I'd translate songs. It was the most stupid idea ever.

Ever heard an R.E.M. song? Notice how in the majority of cases, the song makes no sense (that's not out of disrespect, I really love that band).

My Japanese would be much better right now if I'd done something like translating news etc. Still, it was fun, but LadyRowena brings up a good (and for my part, nostalgic) point

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#14 (permalink))
Old
mangafreak (Offline)
EAT THE CAKE!

tutor - 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Your tutor actually just called you stupid? What a freaking loser! That makes me really angry when people are that inconsiderate. Try buying a language kit from a bookstore, with CD's you can listen to. Good Luck.

"Why waste good technology on science and medicine? Play video games instead."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
aiyumecool559 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-20-2008, 05:33 AM

All O.K.!~ Maybe difficult for you. First, hiragana.Then, book. Easy book is good. Then, katakana and kanji. Chat many, many more, and become easy. If, you can chat to me~