maybe 'obsessively' wasnt the right word
in fact it wasnt that was my bad..

ziggy stardust
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-04-2009, 01:49 AM

im doing kanji too.. same method but ive only put about an hours study into it.. been busy with uni work.. hows that going for you?

what are you learning from? i took MMM's advice and bought Basic Kanji book 1. its REALLY useful!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Britaniya (Offline)
kidtested & mom approved!

01-04-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
im doing kanji too.. same method but ive only put about an hours study into it.. been busy with uni work.. hows that going for you?

what are you learning from? i took MMM's advice and bought Basic Kanji book 1. its REALLY useful!
its going slowly but steadily
i havent been able to find any books with kanji in them(other than a Japanese dictionary) around where i live
so im forced to rely on the internet The set of kanji learned in elementary school(1) im still looking for other websites that may be better though..

ziggy stardust
(#14 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
im doing kanji too.. same method but ive only put about an hours study into it..
SHAD0W, I assume you've heard me spamming Remembering the Kanji, right?

I just started the book from the beginning after a long hiatus about a week or two ago, and I'd say I've solidly learned 300+ kanji in that time. No readings yet, but it's not hard to connect vocabulary words you know with kanji after you've been through Heisig's method.

CaptainThunder's Japanese Starter Pak:
AJATT: Learn Japanese through immersion anytime, anywhere.
Reviewing the Kanji: Track your progress through Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.
Guide to Japanese: Explanations of all basic and intermediate Japanese grammar points.
Rikaichan: Pop-up Japanese dictionary plugin for Firefox.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
01-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I spent about 70€ with Genki I and the workbook. This one costs 22€ and by what I've read it seems really useful. I'm gonna wait until Genki arrives (between 5-9 january) and then I shall buy this one.
Oh, my dear savings.
I have a book called "Easy Kanji", but I don't like it very much.

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。
(#16 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
かなをできますか?

How did you learn?
出来る supports が not the direct object.

But I agree with you that learning kanji is useful even tho time consuming. I have just added 10 extra flashcards so I got to 140 kanji learnt now. Many people think learning kanji individually is a waste of time, better learning them when met in phrases or in compound words...but I personally do not agree. Yes when you meet a compound word you will learn those kanji with 1 reading anyway, but thinking that will be enough is, in my opinion, not enough. Like digging out a little pebble of gold out of a mine and call yourself satisfied.
The satisfaction I have when I look up for a word and see the examples and I can read those kanji in the examples or I can look up for a compound kanji by its reading only coz I know the individual kanji is huge.
For example I had always met the verb "eat" and I had always ignored the existence of other readings (such as はむ、くう、くらう). The one you find most is taberu and you live happily with it. The first time I met 朝食 even tho I didn't know what it was (well, guessed it knowing individual kanji), took me like 10 seconds to grab my dictionary and look up for the exact reading.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Karanos (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2009, 07:18 PM

What is the difference between:
じ and ぢ?
ず and づ?

Used for zu/ji at different times I suppose?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanos View Post
What is the difference between:
じ and ぢ?
ず and づ?

Used for zu/ji at different times I suppose?
in general the first 2 of each is used.

You see ぢ in cases like 鼻血 はなぢ bloody nose.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
in general the first 2 of each is used.

You see ぢ in cases like 鼻血 はなぢ bloody nose.
I think it should also be noted that づ represents a "dzu" sound which is distinct from the "zu" sound, as in 気づく (kidzuku, to notice).

CaptainThunder's Japanese Starter Pak:
AJATT: Learn Japanese through immersion anytime, anywhere.
Reviewing the Kanji: Track your progress through Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.
Guide to Japanese: Explanations of all basic and intermediate Japanese grammar points.
Rikaichan: Pop-up Japanese dictionary plugin for Firefox.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThunder View Post
SHAD0W, I assume you've heard me spamming Remembering the Kanji, right?
Sold!

its hard sometimes when your trying to decide where to go next in studies.. i hit "the wall" a while back, but when you wanna be fluent, you gotta go on no matter what!

AJATT is a good resource for learning but getting around that website is like trying to navigate around spaghetti.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me