LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
zed (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4x30000 View Post
personally I found Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar ridiculously helpful (I use it as a reference, I take classes at uni), and it is also traduced in lots of other languages than english-- useful for people like me who speaks french
thank you, I just went there and looks like a good place to get started, looks like it's going to be alot harder than learning english, but I don't mind the hard work.

and ronin and greg, thank you for your advice, I know it is essential to learn by contact with the people that actualy speek the language, it's one of the reasons I came to the US it's just that I want to go and get a bit prepared before going into the course.

HI JF I AM BACK!!!
Original language: spanish learning to write in english......so be patient.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
GregFromScotland (Offline)
I love you.

Send a message via MSN to GregFromScotland Send a message via Skype™ to GregFromScotland
01-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
thank you, I just went there and looks like a good place to get started, looks like it's going to be alot harder than learning english, but I don't mind the hard work.

and ronin and greg, thank you for your advice, I know it is essential to learn by contact with the people that actualy speek the language, it's one of the reasons I came to the US it's just that I want to go and get a bit prepared before going into the course.
Nah, I used Tai kim's guide at first, at first he doesn't explain it all too well. I took me about a week to manage to get through 15 characters in hiragana.

I went on edufire and I managed to memorize most of the characters in less than a week. If you know nothing thats ok, the tutor caters to your needs and optimizes your learning.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SwapSwap (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to SwapSwap
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM

forgot about the internet , find a native speaker in your country. Doesn't have to be an actual tutor i did some searching on a local tutor site and found a uni student from japan who was happy to teach me for free. The catch was her English wasn't perfect but once i got the hang of talking that was put out of the way.

Even if there is but one footprint left
This life's journey isn't over yet and so i go on
L'arc~en~ciel
(#14 (permalink))
Old
zed (Offline)
JF Regular

01-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregFromScotland View Post
Nah, I used Tai kim's guide at first, at first he doesn't explain it all too well. I took me about a week to manage to get through 15 characters in hiragana.

I went on edufire and I managed to memorize most of the characters in less than a week. If you know nothing thats ok, the tutor caters to your needs and optimizes your learning.
thanks I'm going to take that in consideration, also I may enter a comunity college for economic reasons, but I don't have enough time in mi hands rigth now, however I have started with a book, hope it works, for now.

HI JF I AM BACK!!!
Original language: spanish learning to write in english......so be patient.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
eako (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 01:37 PM

I tried the trial of rossetta Stone and it was a nightmare T.T

I use... JapanPod101.com for listening to the eps, but they give you a /lot/ of emails. I find it good and easy, as the presenters have fun at the same time. Negative: only for speaking Japanese, as its audio based unless you go to the website and download the Character breakdown for that lesson >.<

Positive: It gives you many different scenarios, with different accents to the speakers. One guy is italian, speaking Japanese... so naturally that is different from some of the native Japanese speakers. Other situations reflect the company, From a couple on Holiday at Christmas, to a group of co-workers in the office. Obviously I haven't heard all of the episodes, but on a 2 part ep, it has 2 Eels speaking with one another about Japan. Very silly Eels if you hear the convo yourself, but Eels non the less.

I use Byki for the Characters too, But I find it's a little confusing at times, so I open up a Text documents and wright out what I hear and see in Romaji using Hiragana? (don't know if that makes sense, my language is sucky poo at the moment T.T) >.<

I hope this helps I really do.

One other thing I did, was print the characters, the romaji and the translation in lines, and stick it on the wall in front of the toilet. It makes learning Japanese a lot easier, and faster, and helped me retain some of the chars i know, as I'm still a noob T.T

Wow... long post X3

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination