JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Kanji related help. - 01-25-2009, 09:24 PM

I have a question about learning Kanji. Well, I'll start with some back story.

I have applied for Japanese Studies at 2 different universities. I already know Hiragana and Katakana and put that on my personal statement but I'm not sure if I should have a go at trying to learn as much Kanji as I can before the course starts... and that's if either of the universities accept me. I don't know much of the actual language yet I know about many basic common nouns, 11 colors, the months of the year, how to count up to 999 and a couple of more nouns, I also know about desu and it's past, negative and past negative forms. It's verbs that I stopped at for the moment. So would it be a good idea to just go to town with learning Kanji before I start the course (if I get accepted) be a good idea?

Now also... I've heard from some sources that learning all the Kanji first is a good idea and have seen many recommendations for Learning The Kanji. But would learning all the Kanji and just they're meaning be a good idea? I'm not so sure especially since I'd have to learn the readings for them all later anyways... would it not be easier to just kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Also since all the meanings are in english could this not hold me back for when I'm trying to use them while reading or writing the language? I don't want to do the translate from english to japanese while writing or translate japanese to english while reading thing... I want to understand it as I do with english.

Sorry if this post is too long and thanks for your time all those that read it but if you could give me your opinions it would really help me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2009, 10:26 PM

There is never anything wrong with starting your learning in advance. If you know hiragana and katakana, by all means start learning kanji.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Tangram
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM

First off, as long as you know the kana, it's never to early to start learning kanji.

How you learn kanji depends on how literate you aim to be. If you want to be able to pick up a book, read it with no problem, get puns and such, you need to learn each kanji from every direction. Meanings, readings, and get familiar with some of the more common compounds it appears in. Of course, you'll forget some of these with lack of use - even natural speakers do. However, give it your best effort. And it's not as hard as many make it out to be.

If you just want to get to the point of not being lost when browsing the web, then just learn the English meanings and common uses.

Kanji learning is a very personal thing. You need to do it at a pace that is comfortable for you and will take you where you need to be.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Well Japan is high up on my list of where I want to eventually live (I have already 100% decided to emmigrate when I have the necessary language abilities). So I would preferrably like to be able to speak and read it fluently including literature and other such things.

So would I be better not to go through Remembering the Kanji and learning the readings at the same time as the meanings? Stop me while I'm ahead because I've just went and learnt 34 of them :S.

Thanks for all help thus far.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Well Japan is high up on my list of where I want to eventually live (I have already 100% decided to emmigrate when I have the necessary language abilities). So I would preferrably like to be able to speak and read it fluently including literature and other such things.

So would I be better not to go through Remembering the Kanji and learning the readings at the same time as the meanings? Stop me while I'm ahead because I've just went and learnt 34 of them :S.

Thanks for all help thus far.
In my opinion, RtK is not the best way to go about becoming fully literate. I can easily get in four-five kanji a day with pretty darn good retention by just learning them. Every day, I review the past ten or so I've done, along with weekly reviews. Just find a few good sources and learn stroke order, meaning, and readings thoroughly.

Granted, simple learning doesn't work for everyone. Some people need tricks. But I stand by my belief that RtK is not a good way to become literate. If it does help you remember, then sure, use it. But along with every kanji you learn that way, learn everything else.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2009, 01:56 AM

Could I learn the readings if I don't the language properly yet?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
arky (Offline)
New to JF

Talking 漢字 kannji  かんじ - 01-26-2009, 03:00 AM

for Ex.

わたしは、きょう びょういんに いきました。

watasiha kyou byouinn ni ikimasita

byouinn 病院 or 美容院

私は 今日 病院に行きました
I went to Hospital.
私は 今日 美容院に行きました
I went to Beauty parlor.

わたしはいきます
watasiha ikimasu.

ikimasu 行きます or 生きます or 逝きます

私は行きます・・・I go.

私は生きます・・・I live.

私は逝きます・・・I die.

!!??

arky@osaka大阪人で~す I'm arky from osaka

もーかりまっか  ぼちぼちでんな~
how are you ? I'm fine !!

よろしゅーたのんます!! thank you!!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Could I learn the readings if I don't the language properly yet?
If you do it right. When I come across a kanji that represents a meaning for which I don't know the vocabulary, I just learn it along with the kanji, if that makes sense.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Hi, ok first befor all, I didn´t find any thread that fits more to my question, I want to know the kanji for love and for knowledge. If there is an other thread for asking for kanji, pls just tell me

Thanks for your help

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies. For the moment I'm going to wait to hear from the universities and if I get in might wait and learn them throughout the course. Or if I have to do in an interview ask.