JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
raasaa (Offline)
New to JF

Translations for various terms and sentences. - 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM

hi guys, i am starting a new alliance in a game called cybernations, based on the Naruto theme. I am having a little difficulty figuring out a few of the terms.....most of the terminology is taken from the anime itself, but i need a few more....and also need to clarify the ones i am using.

Densetsu no Yo-nin -- The Legendary four Ninja

Taisho --- General

Shosa --- major

Shotai --- Platoon / battalion

Dojo -- Training hall

Hall of Duels / Challenges --- ??

Iron Vault -- tetsu ??

Sage / Hermit Ninja -- Inja-nin or Sen-nin

Weapons Depot -- Buki ??

Streets of Konoha -- toori / michi no Konoha

Forest of Death -- Shi no Mori

Battle Training Zone -- ??

Ge-nin Housing Area -- Ge-nin no Juukyo ???

Assembly Hall -- ??

Hall of debates -- ??

more to come....will keep adding them into this topic.

Sorry for the loong list..and mistakes if any in the japanese words i am using. thanks for your patience in helping me.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-01-2009, 01:07 AM

Just to clarify, some of the things you've posted cannot be translated well without context. Is the "hall of duels" anything like the Shaolin final test?

Is "vault" in iron vault like the archway of a door or like a place you store things? Both make sense with the word "iron" in English, so I don't know which one you're asking for. And I can't tell from the context of the rest of your post.

When you chose sennin for sage ninja, did you mean "a legendary wizard"? Or did you have in mind just someone who is smart?

Streets of Konoha is "Konoha no michi." You got it reversed. "Konoha" describes "michi," so it comes first. You can also think of "no" as an apostrophe+"s." In that way, "Konoha no michi" = "Konoha's streets."

Here are what I consider correct
-Legendary four ninja ---- 四人の伝説の忍者 Yonin no densetu no ninja
-General -- it really depends on context. You could use Shôgun (I don't know how to type macrons on a Mac, only circumflexes). General MacArthur was called MacArthur-shôgun back during the occupation. Taishô also works because it can mean a full general or admiral in the military. I'm not familiar with the difference between the two, though. However, Wikipedia's "General officer" entry links to JA-Wikipedia's "Shôgun" entry. "Major" links to "shôsa"
-Do you want "platoon" ("shôtai") or "batallion" ("daitai"), because they mean different things.
-Dojo is correct. Maybe "kettouba" or "kettoukan" for "a place for duels"?

Someone else can pick up from there.

My real suggestion is that you stop doing stuff in a language you don't speak. You will inevitably make a fool of yourself. But to each his own, I suppose. I say this only because I look back at stuff I did in "Japanese" ten years ago, before I spoke the language well, and think about how much of a huge idiot I was.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
raasaa (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Just to clarify, some of the things you've posted cannot be translated well without context. Is the "hall of duels" anything like the Shaolin final test?
Nopes, not like a final test. This is a place where any ninja can challenge another for a duel with him.

Something like, one ninja starts topic "I am the strongest Ninja, wanna fight me" and someone else comes along and posts in the topic accepting his challenge.

Quote:
Is "vault" in iron vault like the archway of a door or like a place you store things? Both make sense with the word "iron" in English, so I don't know which one you're asking for. And I can't tell from the context of the rest of your post.
Vault - place where you store things.

Quote:
When you chose sennin for sage ninja, did you mean "a legendary wizard"? Or did you have in mind just someone who is smart?
I am under the impression that using -nin as a suffix refers to Ninja. So, by se-nin, i mean Sage Ninja or Hermit Ninja......if that is correct.

I am trying to refer to someone who is wise in the ways of Ninjutsu, but isnt an active Ninja.

Quote:
Streets of Konoha is "Konoha no michi." You got it reversed. "Konoha" describes "michi," so it comes first. You can also think of "no" as an apostrophe+"s." In that way, "Konoha no michi" = "Konoha's streets."
Aah...i was confused abt that...thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
Here are what I consider correct
-Legendary four ninja ---- 四人の伝説の忍者 Yonin no densetu no ninja
I thught the nin suffix already means Ninja. So Yo-nin, means 4 Ninja.....and Densetsu means Legendary.......

Densetsu no Sanin is used in the naruto anime to describe the Legendary three ninja, i replaced Sa-nin with Yo-nin cos i need 4 legendary ninja.....

Quote:
My real suggestion is that you stop doing stuff in a language you don't speak. You will inevitably make a fool of yourself. But to each his own, I suppose. I say this only because I look back at stuff I did in "Japanese" ten years ago, before I spoke the language well, and think about how much of a huge idiot I was.
I am not going to be typing stuff in japanese....just the names to suit the overall theme of the alliance. Even the names, will have the english version in brackets for the other non-japanese literate ppl.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raasaa View Post
I am under the impression that using -nin as a suffix refers to Ninja. So, by se-nin, i mean Sage Ninja or Hermit Ninja......if that is correct.
(sen) せん (仙) - Hermit/wizard
(nin) にん (人) - people/person
(sennin) せんにん (仙人) - I'm guessing this is what KyleGoetz was thinking of, which is infact "legendary wizard" or a "mountain man" ie. a hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raasaa View Post
I thught the nin suffix already means Ninja. So Yo-nin, means 4 Ninja.....and Densetsu means Legendary.......
(nin) にん (人) - people/person
(yon) よん (四) - 4, 四人 means 4 people
(densetsu) でんせつ (伝説) - Legend
(ninja) にんじゃ (忍者) - well obviously ninja means ninja
(#5 (permalink))
Old
raasaa (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2009, 09:47 AM

aah...okies..that makes more sense now.

Since the Naruto anime uses Genin, Chunin, Jonin, Hunter-nin as ninja ranks, i assumed that nin refers to Ninja.....my bad.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-15-2009, 08:37 AM

I've never read Naruto or watched more than one episode, so I don't know. I've never heard of 忍 as a counter for ninja or anything, but I'm not the final arbiter of that issue. However, my dictionary does not have that as a counter for ninja, and I can't imagine there being a counter for such a narrow class of terms. It's probably an abbreviation for ninja in Naruto, but since I've never seen it, I can't say for sure. I defer to someone else on this issue.