JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   What is the best way to learn Japanese? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/23604-what-best-way-learn-japanese.html)

AnimeBaby112 03-07-2009 04:55 PM

What is the best way to learn Japanese?

I have been learning Hiragana and Katakana first. So I can just read them and figure out what the words sound like...But I would like to know how you guys learned, if there's a really good way to learn.

lucagalbu 03-07-2009 05:15 PM

I'm still a beginner in Japanese... but I've started learning hiragana and katakana, than I studied some basic grammar and now I'm learning kanjis by grades, i.e. kanjis are divided into 6 grades that Japanese schoolchildren should learn for each year of elementary school. I started studying (and I'm still studying) the first level, then I will study the second etc.
I also look for movies with subtitles to learn the vocabulary (e.g. Final Fantasy advent children has both the audio and the subtitles in Japanese)

SHAD0W 03-07-2009 09:17 PM

My god.. how many times!

Subtitles help do not! words mixed up are!!!!

And most of the time, they LIE.

Starairi 03-07-2009 09:29 PM

Really? The language spoken and the subtitles in the same language would usually be the same? At least that's what I thought.
If I where going to sub something norwegain in norwegain, I'd use the same words as spoken...

That's what lucagalbu meant, right?

SHAD0W 03-07-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starairi (Post 681974)
Really? The language spoken and the subtitles in the same language would usually be the same? At least that's what I thought.
If I where going to sub something norwegain in norwegain, I'd use the same words as spoken..

You'd think so, right? but alot of the time they change it. You wouldnt be able to pick up on it though unless you already had a grasp of the language.

They do lie sometimes and japanese words are in a very different order to english so you wouldnt know what word meant what, if that makes sense?

Someone please back me up on this?

Starairi 03-07-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 681989)
You'd think so, right? but alot of the time they change it. You wouldnt be able to pick up on it though unless you already had a grasp of the language.

They do lie sometimes and japanese words are in a very different order to english so you wouldnt know what word meant what, if that makes sense?

Someone please back me up on this?

Well... I don't know which one of us has misunderstood, but as I understand it we're talking about japanese movies with japanese subtitles, not english. So the words shouldn't be in any different order?

I might be the one wrong though o_O

SHAD0W 03-07-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starairi (Post 681995)
Well... I don't know which one of us has misunderstood, but as I understand it we're talking about japanese movies with japanese subtitles, not english. So the words shouldn't be in any different order?

I might be the one wrong though o_O

ahh, that would be my bad.. sorry

Im sure the 2nd poster ment japanese audio with eng subs?

AnimeBaby112 03-08-2009 04:26 AM

Hey, hey! No arguing!..please. I just want my question answered.
What worked for you guys?:confused:

lucagalbu 03-08-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 681996)
ahh, that would be my bad.. sorry

Im sure the 2nd poster ment japanese audio with eng subs?

No, I meant japanese audio with japan subs

Starairi 03-08-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeBaby112 (Post 682097)
Hey, hey! No arguing!..please. I just want my question answered.
What worked for you guys?:confused:

Sorry. We're a bit arugmentative on this forum... :3

Anyway, what I would do (I'm also in the process of learning japanese) would be to get the book called Genki 1 Text, and perhaps the Workbook as well. I've hear thousands of times that these books are the absolute best for learning japanese.
I'm going to get them myself soon ^^