JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese and Chinese Trouble - 03-22-2009, 02:54 AM

I can tell the difference between Korean characters and Japan/China ones. I'm a little at a lost on how to tell apart Japan and China written system. I know that Japan and China do share an alphabet (Heragana?). Can you tell by just the symbols used, or does it have more to do with the sentence structure?

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-22-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
I can tell the difference between Korean characters and Japan/China ones. I'm a little at a lost on how to tell apart Japan and China written system. I know that Japan and China do share an alphabet (Heragana?). Can you tell by just the symbols used, or does it have more to do with the sentence structure?
Chinese looks like this: 他是愚蠢的。

Japanese looks like this: ばかだよ

Korean looks like this: 당신은 바보 예요.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-22-2009, 03:47 AM

Chinese people use over 50,000 of chinese characters (or Kanji/Hanji).
Recently, They use simplified Kanji in Main-land China while Original Kanji are used in Taiwan.

Korean people use Hangle Characters which they created. Total combination of Hangle could be over 10,000. And Original Kanji characters are still used in Korea.

Japanese people use around 50 of Hirakana, almost same number of Katakana and around 5,000 of Kanji which are not simplified.

Hirakara/Katanaka are actually simplefied Kanji to express Japanese sound in written form. There should have been many assignment set of Kanji to sound and only two sets servived.

Note that Chinese people have no sound oriented characters like as Hangle in Korea or Hirakana/katakana in Japan. Instead, they use alphabetical expression "Pinyin" to express sound.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-22-2009, 03:47 AM

That was extremely helpful, alanX, great job.

Japanese uses Hiragana and Katakana characters in addition to Kanji (borrowed Chinese characters.) Because the Kanji were taken directly from the Chinese language, if you just saw some Kanji you wouldn't really be able to tell if it was Japanese or Chinese unless you spoke one of the languages. Kanji in Japanese has the same pronunciation as the Chinese plus one or several more pronunciations from Japanese.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Sorry,

I should of stressed I don't really know much about the three languages. I was flipping through my language selection on my xbox ( I had to fix the time) and noticed the three and couldn't make out which one was Japanese or Chinese.

Anyways besides that, this was something I wanted to know but only brought it up (reasons above). It's always good to know about the background on a language that you might learn. Thanks.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-22-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Chinese people use over 50,000 of chinese characters (or Kanji/Hanji).
大漢和辞典 has 50,000 characters and that I swear is a Japanese dictionary.

This is a total misconception. The equiv to 常用漢字 is around 2600 for Chinese, only around 500 more than the Japanese but you can subtract 100 from that since there is no kana and most characters only has 1 reading.

Technically, Japanese has more characters than Chinese because the Japanese created some new ones of their own which is never used in Chinese like 畑、峠、躾 etc.

Also Japanese is probably the most complicated way to be introduced to Chinese characters thanks to the limitless Kun readings assigned to those things.

Last edited by kirakira : 03-22-2009 at 06:08 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Sorry,

I should of stressed I don't really know much about the three languages. I was flipping through my language selection on my xbox ( I had to fix the time) and noticed the three and couldn't make out which one was Japanese or Chinese.
If it is just a word, you might not able to tell whether it is Korean, Chinese or Japanese like 教育改革, it could be either of the 3 languages (even if you are native). But when you are trying to express an sentence, then

- the one that is still all chinese characters is Chinese
- the one that has hiragana and katakana in addition to Kanji is Japanese
- the one with Hangul and limited Chinese characters would be Korean
(#8 (permalink))
Old
AxBattler (Offline)
New to JF

03-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Also Japanese is probably the most complicated way to be introduced to Chinese characters thanks to the limitless Kun readings assigned to those things.
Someone should've told me that before I started studying Japanese lol.

I took Japanese for personal interest, but also thinking that it would help me pick up Chinese characters which I intended to learn in the future. I thought that since Japanese has a Kana system, and do not use Kanji for everything, that it would be easier than learning Chinese characters from taking Chinese classes.

How badly mistaken I was
(#9 (permalink))
Old
shooon (Offline)
New to JF

03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Only Japan uses Hiragana and Katakana.
So if there are Hiragana or Katakana letters, it must be Japanese.
Korea uses almost only Hangeul.
So if there are Hangeul letters(+ few Kanjis), it must be Korean.

But there is another way to know which lanuage is used.
It is to distinguish Kanji(Chinese character).

There are 3(4) types of Kanji in the world.
Kanji in China, Taiwan(and Hongkong), Japan(, and Korea).

At worst, one kanji is written in three different ways.
For example,

China:乐
Japan:楽
Taiwan:樂

At best, the three countries use the same letter.
教,育,改,and 革 are examples (as kirakiraさん said above.)

China invented new kanji style in 1960s.
In order to make writing kanji easier and faster.
On the other hand, Taiwan has been using the most traditional (and complicated) kanji.
Japan is halfway.Some kanjis were changed and others were not.
Korea usually doesn't use kanji today. But when used, their kanjis are similar to Japanese or Taiwanese kanjis.

Other examples:
China:对
Japan:対
Taiwan:對

China:卖
Japan:売
Taiwan:賣

So if you can(?) tell which kanji is used, you can tell which language is used.

Last edited by shooon : 03-23-2009 at 06:04 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-23-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
大漢和辞典 has 50,000 characters and that I swear is a Japanese dictionary.

This is a total misconception. The equiv to 常用漢字 is around 2600 for Chinese, only around 500 more than the Japanese but you can subtract 100 from that since there is no kana and most characters only has 1 reading.

Technically, Japanese has more characters than Chinese because the Japanese created some new ones of their own which is never used in Chinese like 畑、峠、躾 etc.

大漢和辞典 is for Japanese people to study ALL Kanji (including Chinese) characters. It does not mean Japanese people use 50,000 Kanji characters.

大漢和辞典 - Wikipedia

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.