JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Japanese is a wierd and hard language!!! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/23930-japanese-wierd-hard-language.html)

Gamer4Life 03-23-2009 08:32 AM

Japanese is a wierd and hard language!!!

I took japanese for 1 year in college and im starting to feel sorry for the japanese kids when they have to learn this language. I dont understand why they need to have 3 alphabets(hiragana,katakana,and kanji). I think its kind of stupid to have katakana for foreingn words. And Kanji, i think its the worst to learn. Many kanji have the same name which makes them hard to learn.
They should just had stick with Hiragana.
This is just my opinion.

kirakira 03-23-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer4Life (Post 687405)
They should just had stick with Hiragana.

The classic うらにわにはにわ、にわにはにわにわとりがいる。has already proven why it is impossible to ditch Kanji. You just have to put up or shut up.

MMM 03-23-2009 08:38 AM

The classic first wall every student hits. Half of students never get past it.

Gamer4Life 03-23-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 687406)
The classic にわにはにわにわとりがいる has already proven why it is impossible to ditch Kanji. You just have to put up or shut up.

wow calm down. u dont have to cuss.

Nyororin 03-23-2009 08:43 AM

From someone who does read Japanese relatively fluently... You have NO idea how horrific it would be to try to read through a novel written in Hiragana alone. I think I`d be beating my head against the wall within minutes. My son`s kindergarten level books even frustrate me. (Written very very simply in Hiragana, with spaces added to help show where one word begins and another ends.)

kirakira 03-23-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 687413)
Written very very simply in Hiragana, with spaces added to help show where one word begins and another ends.)

Reminds me of Korean.

Gamer4Life 03-23-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 687413)
From someone who does read Japanese relatively fluently... You have NO idea how horrific it would be to try to read through a novel written in Hiragana alone. I think I`d be beating my head against the wall within minutes. My son`s kindergarten level books even frustrate me. (Written very very simply in Hiragana, with spaces added to help show where one word begins and another ends.)

really? well for me its really easy to read hiragana. i study so much that it's no problem. and with the spaces added is so much easier and thats suppose to help. i dont understand why its hard for u.

Nyororin 03-23-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 687414)
Reminds me of Korean.

I`ve never seen a Korean children`s book... How do they make it easier to read? I`ve always thought Korean was technically phonetic, with pieces combined to make individual "characters"... (Please correct me if I`m wrong.)

kirakira 03-23-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer4Life (Post 687415)
really? well for me its really easy to read hiragana. i study so much that it's no problem. and with the spaces added is so much easier and thats suppose to help. i dont understand why its hard for u.

You tell me which one is easier to read.
うらにわにはにわ、にわにはにわにわとりがいる。
裏庭には庭、庭には二羽鶏がいる

庭 - Garden
裏庭 - Backyard
羽 - Counter for Chicken
鶏 - Chicken

Gamer4Life 03-23-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 687414)
Reminds me of Korean.

thats for every for almost every asian language.