Old
starbright (Offline)
New to JF

have i translated these right? - 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Hey, any help would be much appreciated

1. 私のかぞくはぜんぶで五人です。
2. ちちは中学の先生で、せが高くてハンサムです。
3. はははスポーツが好きで、毎週月曜日と木曜日はテーブ ルテニスをしにちかくのスポーツセンターに行きます。
4. おとうとは大学生で、いまイギリスのマンチェスター大 学でべんきょうしています。きのうおとうとにでんわを しました。マンチェスターはさむいですが、とてもおも しろいと言っていました。
5. いもうとは中学生ですが、ちちとおなじ中学に行ってい ます。毎日ちちにあわなければならないから、あまりた のしくないとおもいます。
6. 私のかいしゃは、せかいでとてもゆうめいなコンピュー ターのかいしゃですが、とてもいそがしくて休みがあま りないから来年かいしゃをやめたいです。

1. In my family there are five of us.

2. My dad is a teacher at junior high school. He’s tall and handsome.

3. My mum likes sports, every Monday and Thursday she goes to play table tennis at the sports centre.

4. My younger brother is a student at Manchester University in England. He said although its cold its interesting.

5. My younger sister goes to the same junior high school as my dad. Every day my dad… STUCK!

6. I work in the office for a world famous computer company. Its very busy and I never get any days off, but I will next year.

Thankyou! xxx
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Your Japanese is actually good. It sounds fairly natural as well.

Just a few pointers. I wouldn't call them corrections.

先生 > 教師(きょうし) or 教員(きょういん) You can address your teachers 先生 all you want. But you won't use the term to refer to someone's profession unless you're a small child.

テーブ ルテニス > 卓球(たっきゅう)

ないから > ないので.  から makes it sound too conversational.

One could make more changes if one had to. But judging from your use of kanji and grammar, further "changes" will probably be useless at this stage. I'd say you've done bloody good.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright View Post
Hey, any help would be much appreciated

5. いもうとは中学生ですが、ちちとおなじ中学に行ってい ます。毎日ちちにあわなければならないから、あまりた のしくないとおもいます。

5. My younger sister goes to the same junior high school as my dad. Every day my dad… STUCK!
I think what you're looking for at the end 'She thinks it's not very fun because she has to see our dad every day.'

毎日父(ちち)に会わなければならないから、I forget what nuance 会う has with に, but I think it's 'to see' (which is different from 見る(みる) to see, which, as I understand it, is more like seeing a person and not interacting with them). 会う is 'to meet' and 会わなければならない as a whole means something like 'if one does not meet/see someone, it will not do', or in a bit more succinct english "one has to see someone". から means from, and in this case it's describing a reason for something: 'from the reason that'. So that phrase at the beginning of the paragraph is something like: Because everyday she has to see our father.

あまり楽しくない(たのしくない)と思います(おもい ます)。 あまり楽しくない - Not very fun
~と思います she thinks ~. So, 'She thinks it's not very fun'.

Put those two sentences parts together and you get, "Because she has to see our dad every day, she thinks it's not very fun'. I rearranged it based on my own style of writing for english, but you can feel free to leave it in the order it is.

I'm almost positive this is the correct translation, but since my experience with 'must do' or 'must not do' phrases isn't too great, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post

あまり楽しくない(たのしくない)と思います(おもい ます)。 あまり楽しくない - Not very fun
~と思います she thinks ~. So, 'She thinks it's not very fun'.

Put those two sentences parts together and you get, "Because she has to see our dad every day, she thinks it's not very fun'. I rearranged it based on my own style of writing for english, but you can feel free to leave it in the order it is.

I'm almost positive this is the correct translation, but since my experience with 'must do' or 'must not do' phrases isn't too great, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
First off, my apologies to you all for my first post. I was checking the Japanese sentences! No wonder it was good.

Now, regarding duo797's comment...

The (hidden) subject of that sentence is the speaker, not the girl.

About the ending of sentence #6, it should be "I'd like to quit (my company) next year."
(#5 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
05-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
First off, my apologies to you all for my first post. I was checking the Japanese sentences! No wonder it was good.

Now, regarding duo797's comment...

The (hidden) subject of that sentence is the speaker, not the girl.
So would "I think (school) isn't very enjoyable for her because she has to see our dad ever day." make sense? Does school come into play or is it the fact that she has to see her dad every day the thing that is あまり楽しくない?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
So would "I think (school) isn't very enjoyable for her because she has to see our dad ever day." make sense? Does school come into play or is it the fact that she has to see her dad every day the thing that is あまり楽しくない?
Letting "school" come into play would be too much reading between the lines in a writing like this, in my opinion. To take only what is actually said, I would translate 毎日ちちにあわなければならないから、あまりた のしくないとおもいます into something like "Because she has to see Daddy (at school) everyday, I don't think it's so much fun (for her)."
(#7 (permalink))
Old
starbright (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Thankyou very much xxx