masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
Ah, here is part of the lyrics I got through google :
Yeah, that would mean "Don't let this end a dream."

Quote:
I also would like to ask about the meaning of the last line. That one is quite difficult to understand for me.
That means that the image of the girl in the narrator's mind is blurry because he is crying, and the image is overflowing his mind.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
That means that the image of the girl in the narrator's mind is blurry because he is crying, and the image is overflowing his mind.
Hmm, it seems I must reconsider what comes before it. So 滲む君が溢れてく happens because of 華やかにただ 揺らめくまま, doesn't it? As for the meaning of this part, my guess is that her image keeps flickering in his mind because it is too gorgeous for him (well, this doesn't seem correct either, but I can only guess that much).
Old
GLL99 (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2011, 05:40 AM

Hey, guys, I have a few more questions today than usual that are really confusing me, if no one's busy. See, I'm translating another episode of that card game show, but this one's loaded with some cultural references (specifically stuff related to Kabuki) that are flying over my head, lol. Most of them I've got down thanks to some notes made by another translator a few years back when it premiered, but I'm not really sure how to go about these:

*Note: The character involved with most of these (named Kabukid) seems to be a callback to Ishikawa Goemon and others, going from a blog post.

1) カブキッド: 「絶景なり~♪デュエル・アカデミア!浜の真砂は尽き るとも世にデュエルの種は尽きまじ。舞台に不足はなか りけり, お客様は神様なり。デュエルは見せてなんぼの世界 シロウトさんには負けられぬ。いざ、尋常に勝負勝負~♪」

What mostly confuses me here is how なんぼ is used. After looking it up and seeing that it's Kansai-ben for いくら, I gave this a shot: "As we display our dueling, we shall not be defeated by amateurs in any world!"

2) 翔:「何とかと煙は高いところっていうっすよね」
(Video) [This line's at 0:26]

They're walking around because the guy in red's looking for a good challenge, so the blue-hair says this in response to "Why so high up?". I was going to use "Well, they say smoke usually goes for high places..." or "Well, you know what they say about smoke and high places...", but I wanted to make sure I was getting it right, since guy-in-red takes it to mean that he'll take him on, so I wanted to ask about what other meanings this phrase usually has.

3) Two quick "I can't make it out" questions:
--a) Video (the line in question's at 0:04)

Sounds like とうはてドン or どうはでドン, but I'm not getting any dictionary matches for those. Unless it's actually 道破...

--b) Video (line's at 0:10 from yellow-hair guy)

Sounded like よくろっちゃ, and I took a guess translating it as "Well-done!", but I wanted to be sure I wasn't that off on it.

4) Video for these
--a) At 0:14: 「いざ、ヨシ・ツネ!しらくのを出ました!」 Sounds like that to me (translated it as "They await your bloodletting!"), but while trying to figure it out, I ran into 入洛, and since the Yoshi Tsune card he's using is referencing the story of Yoshitsune, I thought it might also be a possibility.

--b) At 0:26: 「だいとうりょうでアール!」 I'm not too sure about this one, but I guessed he was talking about Yoshi Tsune's sword, so I went with, "That is quite the long sword!"

--c) After that, yellow-hair says 「こたてばた素晴らしいノーネ」, but I'm not getting any results for the red, so I'm not sure what that really it.

5) Another "can't make it out" one (at 0:23)

「これより本番きりりとまいる」 I know he's talking about his performance, but I'm not sure I'm hearing the red right. And if that is what he says, I can't think of how to translate it in this context.

6) Video

おとりに上級モンスターを舞台に立たせて。。。逆転をねらうな んぞ!」

Translated as "Making a high-level monster rise onto the stage against a phoenix means you're aiming for a reversal, I take it?", but I can't tell if おおとり is referring to his giant yellow dragon (whose name references Genghis Khan), or if he's just saying おとり and the slightly-long sound on the お is tricking me.

7) カブキッド: 「デュエル続けてはや日も西に果て麗らかな眺めじゃな ~」
(Video, at 0:11)

According to that blog, this is another Goemon reference; I'm just having trouble coming up with a good way of translating it. So far, I have "As you continue dueling, is it not quite the sight to see the sunlight vanish to the west?" (If this is a good way to do it, I'll reword it so it's a bit more poetic.)

Phew...I hope this isn't all too much, lol. I spent a while over the last week or so looking these up (to no avail, for most) and reading up on Goemon/Yoshitsune/Kabuki a bit with Google as I translated the rest, and I just want to get these all finally settled, haha. As always, thanks in advance.
Old
KellyMD (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2011, 06:57 AM

Hello, I'm sorry to be a bother once again, but I need help with understanding another little something from a manga.

In the manga, some characters go to a restaurant in Indonesia (or at least I assume that's where they are) and the server comes with their order and says: はいよーエスジュルツにカラパをごろごろ!サテの盛り 合わせとナンチャンプル各種ね!!

The part I'm having difficulty understanding is the "エスジュルツにカラパをごろごろ" part. I found out that エスジュルツ means orange juice in indonesian, but the rest of it I have absolutely no clue on what it means. What exactly is this server saying?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Hi, I would like to know which of these sentences is correct when referring to "Tanaka is getting old."?

1. 田中さんは年を取ってる。

2. 田中さんは年を取る。

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Hi, I have another question. I would like to know if "出る" is consider as intransitive verb for the following phrases?

1. 高島屋に行くバスが出た。

2. 愛子の小説が出た。

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, I have another question. I would like to know if "出る" is consider as intransitive verb for the following phrases?

1. 高島屋に行くバスが出た。

2. 愛子の小説が出た。
Yes to both. There is no direct object in either sentence in Japanese. Not even in an English translation.
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMD View Post
Hello, I'm sorry to be a bother once again, but I need help with understanding another little something from a manga.

In the manga, some characters go to a restaurant in Indonesia (or at least I assume that's where they are) and the server comes with their order and says: はいよーエスジュルツにカラパをごろごろ!サテの盛り 合わせとナンチャンプル各種ね!!

The part I'm having difficulty understanding is the "エスジュルツにカラパをごろごろ" part. I found out that エスジュルツ means orange juice in indonesian, but the rest of it I have absolutely no clue on what it means. What exactly is this server saying?
As much as I would like to be of help, this is more an Indonesian question than a Japanese one. All I can say with confidence is that 「エスジュルツにカラパをごろごろ」 means "there are big chunks of カラパ in the エスジュルツ."

EDIT: Miraculously, I got to talk to an Indonesian person today! She said "kelapa" meant coconut and it is sometimes put in fruit juices.

Last edited by masaegu : 07-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLL99 View Post
Hey, guys, I have a few more questions today than usual that are really confusing me, if no one's busy. See, I'm translating another episode of that card game show, but this one's loaded with some cultural references (specifically stuff related to Kabuki) that are flying over my head, lol. Most of them I've got down thanks to some notes made by another translator a few years back when it premiered, but I'm not really sure how to go about these:

*Note: The character involved with most of these (named Kabukid) seems to be a callback to Ishikawa Goemon and others, going from a blog post.

1) カブキッド: 「絶景なり~♪デュエル・アカデミア!浜の真砂は尽き るとも世にデュエルの種は尽きまじ。舞台に不足はなか りけり, お客様は神様なり。デュエルは見せてなんぼの世界 シロウトさんには負けられぬ。いざ、尋常に勝負勝負~♪」

What mostly confuses me here is how なんぼ is used. After looking it up and seeing that it's Kansai-ben for いくら, I gave this a shot: "As we display our dueling, we shall not be defeated by amateurs in any world!"

2) 翔:「何とかと煙は高いところっていうっすよね」
(Video) [This line's at 0:26]

They're walking around because the guy in red's looking for a good challenge, so the blue-hair says this in response to "Why so high up?". I was going to use "Well, they say smoke usually goes for high places..." or "Well, you know what they say about smoke and high places...", but I wanted to make sure I was getting it right, since guy-in-red takes it to mean that he'll take him on, so I wanted to ask about what other meanings this phrase usually has.

3) Two quick "I can't make it out" questions:
--a) Video (the line in question's at 0:04)

Sounds like とうはてドン or どうはでドン, but I'm not getting any dictionary matches for those. Unless it's actually 道破...

--b) Video (line's at 0:10 from yellow-hair guy)

Sounded like よくろっちゃ, and I took a guess translating it as "Well-done!", but I wanted to be sure I wasn't that off on it.

4) Video for these
--a) At 0:14: 「いざ、ヨシ・ツネ!しらくのを出ました!」 Sounds like that to me (translated it as "They await your bloodletting!"), but while trying to figure it out, I ran into 入洛, and since the Yoshi Tsune card he's using is referencing the story of Yoshitsune, I thought it might also be a possibility.

--b) At 0:26: 「だいとうりょうでアール!」 I'm not too sure about this one, but I guessed he was talking about Yoshi Tsune's sword, so I went with, "That is quite the long sword!"

--c) After that, yellow-hair says 「こたてばた素晴らしいノーネ」, but I'm not getting any results for the red, so I'm not sure what that really it.

5) Another "can't make it out" one (at 0:23)

「これより本番きりりとまいる」 I know he's talking about his performance, but I'm not sure I'm hearing the red right. And if that is what he says, I can't think of how to translate it in this context.

6) Video

おとりに上級モンスターを舞台に立たせて。。。逆転をねらうな んぞ!」

Translated as "Making a high-level monster rise onto the stage against a phoenix means you're aiming for a reversal, I take it?", but I can't tell if おおとり is referring to his giant yellow dragon (whose name references Genghis Khan), or if he's just saying おとり and the slightly-long sound on the お is tricking me.

7) カブキッド: 「デュエル続けてはや日も西に果て麗らかな眺めじゃな ~」
(Video, at 0:11)

According to that blog, this is another Goemon reference; I'm just having trouble coming up with a good way of translating it. So far, I have "As you continue dueling, is it not quite the sight to see the sunlight vanish to the west?" (If this is a good way to do it, I'll reword it so it's a bit more poetic.)

Phew...I hope this isn't all too much, lol. I spent a while over the last week or so looking these up (to no avail, for most) and reading up on Goemon/Yoshitsune/Kabuki a bit with Google as I translated the rest, and I just want to get these all finally settled, haha. As always, thanks in advance.
Welcome to advanced Japanese!

1. 「~~してなんぼ」 means that the topic in question can only be worth something when the action ~~ has been performed. 「デュエルは見せてなんぼの世界」 means that the world of duels is only valuable when shown to the public. You put the word "world" in the wrong place in your TL.

BTW, despite its look, 「~~してなんぼ」 is used all over Japan.

2. You may be missing the point. That is NOT the original saying. The original is
「ばかと煙は高いところが好き(or 高いところにのぼ� ��)。」. The ばか-to-なんとか switch is for the euphemism.

3a. He says 「ド派手(はで)どん。 = Super-loud」. 「ド」 is the tough guy's "very" and I am sure you have seen it. I'm assuming どん is his signature sentence-ender?

3b. I am hearing 「よっ、グラッチェ!」. 「よっ」 is a shout often heard from Kabuki audience. 「グラッチェ!」 is "Thanks." in Italian.

4a. He says 「主役のお出ましだ~っ!」.

4b. 「大統領でアール」. The word 大統領 is very often used to praise someone who has just done a great job.

4c. I cannot catch it.

5. You are hearing correctly. "Here we go! (This is it "= the real pereformance"!) Let's do it!" きりり literally means "neat and tight" but I would not necessarily use those adjectives here for the TL.

6. The word is おおとり = 大取り. It is the last (and most popular) performer of a show. Treat it as おとり and you will end up destroying the whole sentence.

7. Not sure where the "not quite" part of your TL comes from.

My lousy TL would be "Duels continued well into the sunset and oh, what a beautiful sight!"

Old
GLL99 (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Welcome to advanced Japanese!
It's funny, I took Advanced Japanese 1 last year at my college, and it's definitely helped me with speaking and writing Japanese, but we didn't really touch on anything with Kabuki, lol (or someone might've done a presentation for it, and I conveniently forgot about it haha). I'm planning to take AJ2 next spring (since I took a break for other classes), so that should be fun.
Quote:
1. 「~~してなんぼ」 means that the topic in question can only be worth something when the action ~~ has been performed. 「デュエルは見せてなんぼの世界」 means that the world of duels is only valuable when shown to the public. You put the word "world" in the wrong place in your TL.

BTW, despite its look, 「~~してなんぼ」 is used all over Japan.
Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense. Well, for space reasons, I reworded it to "As [Because] dueling is only valuable when displayed to the public, losing to any novices is out of the question!" (There's a brief dramatic pause between "novices" and "is.") But it should still get the same meaning across.
Quote:
2. You may be missing the point. That is NOT the original saying. The original is
「ばかと煙は高いところが好き(or 高いところにのぼ� ��)。」. The ばか-to-なんとか switch is for the euphemism.
Ah, okay. I did find that after Googling, but I just didn't get the use of なんとか over ばか. What's the euphemism there, though? I'm not really getting why guy-in-red takes it to mean blue-hair'll take him on.
Quote:
3a. He says 「ド派手(はで)どん。 = Super-loud」. 「ド」 is the tough guy's "very" and I am sure you have seen it. I'm assuming どん is his signature sentence-ender?
...Oh. Nope, I think this is the first time I've heard him use 「ド」 as "very," lol. And yep, that's his sentence-ender.
Quote:
3b. I am hearing 「よっ、グラッチェ!」. 「よっ」 is a shout often heard from Kabuki audience. 「グラッチェ!」 is "Thanks." in Italian.
Wow, I'm surprised I didn't pick up on グラッチェ, haha. Thanks for the clear-up there.
Quote:
4a. He says 「主のお出ましだ~っ!」.
...I could swear that sounded like らく instead of やく every time I heard it. >_>;
Quote:
4b. 「大統領でアール」. The word 大統領 is very often used to praise someone who has just done a great job.
Oh, ok. Might've been 統領 meaning "chief/leader" that threw me off there.
Quote:
4c. I cannot catch it.
No prob, I'll improvise that one.
Quote:
5. You are hearing correctly. "Here we go! (This is it "= the real pereformance"!) Let's do it!" きりり literally means "neat and tight" but I would not necessarily use those adjectives here for the TL.
Okay. Hmm...well, he's summoning a "Heavenly Dancer", so I'm guessing he's going for a "big deal" vibe. I'll look up a synonym for "neat/tight" that gets the same across and see how it sounds. (EDIT: I went with "truly-exquisite performance," and I think it could work)
Quote:
6. The word is おおとり = 大取り. It is the last (and most popular) performer of a show. Treat it as おとり and you will end up destroying the whole sentence.
Heh, true. I should've looked at just とり and not the whole word.
Quote:
67. Not sure where the "not quite" part of your TL comes from.

My lousy TL would be "Duels continued well into the sunset and oh, what a beautiful sight!"
It's mostly a try to make it sound a bit poetic, lol. "Is it not a sight to see" = "isn't it a sight to see" there.

But "duels continued well into the sunset"...I didn't think of that one. So, would "Is it not quite the sight to see duels continuing well into the sunset?" work?

Last edited by GLL99 : 07-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Closed Thread