View Single Post
Old
GLL99 (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2011, 05:40 AM

Hey, guys, I have a few more questions today than usual that are really confusing me, if no one's busy. See, I'm translating another episode of that card game show, but this one's loaded with some cultural references (specifically stuff related to Kabuki) that are flying over my head, lol. Most of them I've got down thanks to some notes made by another translator a few years back when it premiered, but I'm not really sure how to go about these:

*Note: The character involved with most of these (named Kabukid) seems to be a callback to Ishikawa Goemon and others, going from a blog post.

1) カブキッド: 「絶景なり~♪デュエル・アカデミア!浜の真砂は尽き るとも世にデュエルの種は尽きまじ。舞台に不足はなか りけり, お客様は神様なり。デュエルは見せてなんぼの世界 シロウトさんには負けられぬ。いざ、尋常に勝負勝負~♪」

What mostly confuses me here is how なんぼ is used. After looking it up and seeing that it's Kansai-ben for いくら, I gave this a shot: "As we display our dueling, we shall not be defeated by amateurs in any world!"

2) 翔:「何とかと煙は高いところっていうっすよね」
(Video) [This line's at 0:26]

They're walking around because the guy in red's looking for a good challenge, so the blue-hair says this in response to "Why so high up?". I was going to use "Well, they say smoke usually goes for high places..." or "Well, you know what they say about smoke and high places...", but I wanted to make sure I was getting it right, since guy-in-red takes it to mean that he'll take him on, so I wanted to ask about what other meanings this phrase usually has.

3) Two quick "I can't make it out" questions:
--a) Video (the line in question's at 0:04)

Sounds like とうはてドン or どうはでドン, but I'm not getting any dictionary matches for those. Unless it's actually 道破...

--b) Video (line's at 0:10 from yellow-hair guy)

Sounded like よくろっちゃ, and I took a guess translating it as "Well-done!", but I wanted to be sure I wasn't that off on it.

4) Video for these
--a) At 0:14: 「いざ、ヨシ・ツネ!しらくのを出ました!」 Sounds like that to me (translated it as "They await your bloodletting!"), but while trying to figure it out, I ran into 入洛, and since the Yoshi Tsune card he's using is referencing the story of Yoshitsune, I thought it might also be a possibility.

--b) At 0:26: 「だいとうりょうでアール!」 I'm not too sure about this one, but I guessed he was talking about Yoshi Tsune's sword, so I went with, "That is quite the long sword!"

--c) After that, yellow-hair says 「こたてばた素晴らしいノーネ」, but I'm not getting any results for the red, so I'm not sure what that really it.

5) Another "can't make it out" one (at 0:23)

「これより本番きりりとまいる」 I know he's talking about his performance, but I'm not sure I'm hearing the red right. And if that is what he says, I can't think of how to translate it in this context.

6) Video

おとりに上級モンスターを舞台に立たせて。。。逆転をねらうな んぞ!」

Translated as "Making a high-level monster rise onto the stage against a phoenix means you're aiming for a reversal, I take it?", but I can't tell if おおとり is referring to his giant yellow dragon (whose name references Genghis Khan), or if he's just saying おとり and the slightly-long sound on the お is tricking me.

7) カブキッド: 「デュエル続けてはや日も西に果て麗らかな眺めじゃな ~」
(Video, at 0:11)

According to that blog, this is another Goemon reference; I'm just having trouble coming up with a good way of translating it. So far, I have "As you continue dueling, is it not quite the sight to see the sunlight vanish to the west?" (If this is a good way to do it, I'll reword it so it's a bit more poetic.)

Phew...I hope this isn't all too much, lol. I spent a while over the last week or so looking these up (to no avail, for most) and reading up on Goemon/Yoshitsune/Kabuki a bit with Google as I translated the rest, and I just want to get these all finally settled, haha. As always, thanks in advance.