LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-31-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

My husband`s family speaks what is supposedly one of the oldest dialects in Japan...
Is your husband's family from Nagoya?

Cheers - Oz
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Is your husband's family from Nagoya?
No, they are not. Why exactly do you ask?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
andylaurel (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
what i am missing is a level between 1 and 2, like 英検準1級. that could be useful to prove a certain proficiency.

my very limited experience of JLPT is that you can pass level 2 without studying but for level 1 you do need to study.

now this wasn't really what the OP asked for so i will just have to blame myself for wanting to try my new netbook

Wow, you can pass level 2 without studying?
Do the Kanji just magically make their way into your head?
LOL

ジャンボカット
(#14 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-31-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurel View Post
Wow, you can pass level 2 without studying?
Do the Kanji just magically make their way into your head?
LOL
since it did that for me and i am in no way a very smart person i am certain it is possible for others too. but i reckon i should have written "without studying too much" to be on the safe side.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Maybe my household is just weird, but んがために and んばかりに are everyday terms - and 禁じえない likes to rear it`s head when discussions get passionate. At the very least they aren`t that uncommon, especially if you read more than manga. Maybe they`re used more in different regions? My husband`s family speaks what is supposedly one of the oldest dialects in Japan...
You must be married to a family of poets (yes your household must be weird). Most of my Japanese friends have no idea what んがために means and I never seen it in the countless novels or newspaper articles I've seen. A Japanese teacher friend of mine has never heard of 禁じ得ない until she started working, only because one of her co-workers has a habit of using the word (she had look the word up in the dictionary).

Nyororin, sometimes you just like to put words into people's mouth to make yourself look smart. I mean what the hell do you think sweetspot means? Read the original 1st post!! The guy is looking for fluency, but with no intentions of going to a university. So in that context sweetspot means you possess enough knowledge so to express yourself naturally however you wanted where you only worry about what you are going to say instead of how you going to join the words together. JLPT3 is enough for fluency? What are you smoking woman?!

More than half of all the grammar in JLPT are either formal or written Japanese only. They should go light on those things and focus more on the everyday since it is really designed for Japanese learners.

-----
JLPT is rubbish at the end of the day, it only tests Listening and Reading, no Writing or Speaking. You can be JLPT1 and still stuck.

JLPT will only tell you what you NEED to know, but how well you can use that body of knowledge is purely up to you through lots of practice. Just doing JLPT exercises will help you achieve fluency but that by itself is nowhere near enough. As stated, it is missing 2 major components, writing and speaking, so you need to make the extra effort to plug those significant oversights by the system.

Last edited by kirakira : 05-31-2009 at 03:44 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 03:40 PM

<Mark for deletion>

Last edited by kirakira : 05-31-2009 at 04:19 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
You know what he is talking about. Get that pole out of you rear, we all want to know whats this supposed oldest dialect of Japan is.
Why the hostility kirakira?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why the hostility kirakira?
<Mark for Deletion>

Last edited by kirakira : 05-31-2009 at 04:20 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
She can be really stuck up at times and not very helpful at all. The guy asked a simple question (obviously he wants to know what this old dialect is), look at the answer she's given.
I think you are reading too much into her answer. He asked a private question and she answered it. Maybe she doesn't feel like giving out personal information without knowing why he is asking.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 03:55 PM

<Mark for Deletion>

Last edited by kirakira : 05-31-2009 at 04:20 PM.