JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Pop Quiz (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/25724-pop-quiz.html)

Nagoyankee 06-07-2009 03:05 PM

Pop Quiz

There was a free rock concert in town yesterday. Today, Karate Master Nagoyankee III asked eleven (11) of his students if they went to the concert.
They answered as follows:

A: 行かなかった
B: 行けばよかった
C: 行けなかった
D: 行くべきだった
E: 行ってよかった
F: 行きました
G: 行きたかったけど・・・
H. 行った
I: 行かなければよかった
J: 行くつもりだったけど・・・
K: 行っとけばよかった

Question 1: Who went and who didn't go?

Question 2: Who went but clearly didn't like the concert?

Please don't be shy to post your answers. I will give the answers in a few days. Thanks. :vsign:

Kai13 06-07-2009 04:40 PM

I still haven't learned all of those verb forms, but I'd say that A, C, I and J didn't went to the concert. (I'm not sure about all the answers I gave though...)

F, G, H went there.

To question 2 I have no answer whatsoever because I don't know ;_;

This is such a nice way to practise!

MMM 06-07-2009 04:48 PM

Great questions...it's good to be reminded how many different ways we can answer one simple question.

chryuop 06-07-2009 05:25 PM

Cool. I like this Pop Quiz. For once I can try and answer without people telling me "if you don't know it just shut up" LOL
Well, let's see...

1_ E; F; H; I
2_ I

E=I did the right ting to go; F=H= I went; I=hadn't I gone it would have been better.

I think A=didn't go; B=If I had gone I would have done the right thing; C=I didn't go!(isn't this past negative of imperative? my head doesn't really clicks on this one); D=I should have gone (as in I missed the chance to it); G=I wanted to go, but...; J=I should have gone, but (as in I had planned to go but); K=can't recognize that form.

??? Well, let's see the score :)

P.S. Oops just thought about it. If someone else wants to answer go ahead. Don't think my answers are correct, coz great chances are out there that they are not LOL.

duo797 06-07-2009 05:56 PM

I got the same answers:
E,F,H and I were the only ones to go to the concert, but 'I' didn't really enjoy the concert.

Chryuop: C is the past, potential, negative. C is saying 'I couldn't go'.

I'm gonna take a guess at the last person and say it is 行っておければよかった
If that is what the last person is saying, I'm not sure what the ておく form is supposed to mean here.

darksyndrem 06-07-2009 06:47 PM

I would suggest putting your answers in spoilers....does JF have spoilers??

duo797 06-07-2009 07:11 PM

Doesn't look like it, I just tried the usual spoiler tag and nothing happened.

chryuop 06-07-2009 07:39 PM

Duh...potential form, how stupid not to think about it.

The form ーておく as far as I know means doing something in preparation for a future happening. An example that comes to my mind now can be 親を電話しておいた. If for example we are talking about going a pay a visit to my parents I can use that phrase to say I already called them, a phone call made to get ready things for our future trip. I guess in this case it has the meaning of missing an important personal experience....we will have to wait for the answers LOL
I really don't think it has a real translation in English.

KyleGoetz 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
Quote:

A: 行かなかった no
B: 行けばよかった no
C: 行けなかった no
D: 行くべきだった no [much thanks for putting this one in, Nagoyankee, I forgot about this form in my daily usage, but was able to read it still...odd how language works]
E: 行ってよかった yes
F: 行きました yes
G: 行きたかったけど・・・no
H. 行った yes
I: 行かなければよかった yes, but clearly didn't like it
J: 行くつもりだったけど・・・no
K: 行っとけばよかった no
And yes, 行っとけば is a conjunction for 行っておけば.
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Nagoyankee 06-08-2009 02:56 PM

Answer time!
Thank you all for your participation!

Question 1: Who went and who didn't go?

Did go: E, F, H and I,

Didn't go: A, B, C, D, G, J and K.

Question 2: Who went but clearly didn't like the concert?

Student I

A: 行かなかった = I didn't go.
B: 行けばよかった = It would have been nice if I had gone.
C: 行けなかった = I wasn't able to go.
D: 行くべきだった = I should have gone.
E: 行ってよかった = It was great that I went.
F: 行きました = I went.
G: 行きたかったけど・・・ = I wanted to but...
H. 行った = I went.
I: 行かなければよかった = I should have never gone.
J: 行くつもりだったけど・・・ = I was planning to go but...
K: 行っとけばよかった = I should have gone. (with the connotation that s/he could have left in the middle in case s/he didn't like it.)