JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
College - 06-22-2009, 03:19 AM

Ok for me college starts tomorrow and i got the wrong nihongo book called nakama version1 and the school just got the new version 2 i may not be getting the new book until this friday any ideas on how i can survive the week?

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 03:26 AM

In my experience there is going to be little difference between Edition 1 and Edition 2. There aren't going to be major changes. You should do fine.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
06-22-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuruneru View Post
Ok for me college starts tomorrow and i got the wrong nihongo book called nakama version1 and the school just got the new version 2 i may not be getting the new book until this friday any ideas on how i can survive the week?
go to your library, check out the book for an hour, find a copy machine, copy the pages required (granted your teacher provides you with a syllabus). which college do you go to? my class used the same book and were out of stock for the first 3 weeks. i had to resort to this method a ton of times. this book goes pretty slow, then at the end it goes really fast. main thing that almost killed me was learning all the vocab, so master them quickly!!! i brought my book with me to japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-22-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilesandsamurai View Post
In my experience there is going to be little difference between Edition 1 and Edition 2. There aren't going to be major changes. You should do fine.
i would be worried about the workbook that is provided with edition 2. i can't compare them side by side but i wouldn't risk turning in old edition 1 homework. can you get a refund?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
06-22-2009, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the help im going to diablo valley college and no i can't get a refund because i bought the book like months ago and was just told yesterday that they got new books. The textbook and the workbook come in a pack along with a few other items that i will need and all together its about 90$ witch is no problem and i know that they don't have version two at the library.

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-22-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help im going to diablo valley college and no i can't get a refund because i bought the book like months ago and was just told yesterday that they got new books. The textbook and the workbook come in a pack along with a few other items that i will need and all together its about 90$ witch is no problem and i know that they don't have version two at the library.
yikes, $90 can get you some nice stuff... first day of class probably wouldn't require you to have your books. just go to your teacher and explain the dilemma and ask her what she thinks of the old book. make friends in the class quickly and ask if they would be so kind as to let you photocopy their books for a while. good luck! gambatte~!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
yikes, $90 can get you some nice stuff... first day of class probably wouldn't require you to have your books. just go to your teacher and explain the dilemma and ask her what she thinks of the old book. make friends in the class quickly and ask if they would be so kind as to let you photocopy their books for a while. good luck! gambatte~!
Thanks dude at times they give the students about a week to get the books i've only seen how the cover looked, but in all i should do my best the worst part im in that one class for about five to six hours without the right books. I didn't want to look stupid this time but i guess i did months before class even started.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-22-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude at times they give the students about a week to get the books i've only seen how the cover looked, but in all i should do my best the worst part im in that one class for about five to six hours without the right books. I didn't want to look stupid this time but i guess i did months before class even started.
the time put into this class is no joke. i went tues and thrus for 2.5 hours each day. plus grasping the language was a something else. i am fluent in english and vietnamese... japanese just confused the hell out of me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 05:19 AM

It should not be much of a problem since i know all of hiragana and katakana with a small amount of kanji, its just the work. The only reason why its five to six hours long it because its the summer course and dose not have much time to teach like they do in the fall or spring but the other seasons are about two to three hours.

Last edited by Tsuruneru : 06-22-2009 at 05:23 AM.