JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
release879 (Offline)
New to JF

I did use the search for this translation, turned up nothing. - 06-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Hello everyone. I'd like to get the Japanese symbol for "honor" tattooed on my wedding finger.

I assume there are many contexts that honor could be in and several meanings for it, as there are in Chinese. (I'm doing this same research for Chinese symbols for honor, and I found upwards of 50 different contexts and meanings for it)

What would be the most appropriate for honoring a marriage or a commitment?

If I could have an image of it, that would be great, because I need something to print to show the tattoo artist, but the phonetic translation would be good too, because I can look up the symbol that goes with the phonetic translation.

Can someone help me out?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Don't get a tattoo on your finger of a language you don't speak. It's offensive: you're basically objectifying an entire culture. Have a look here as to how stupid you'd be to get one: Hanzi Smatter 一知半解 Even with a proper translation, the writing will still likely look like a drunk Nigerian trying to write Russian unless you travel to an Asian country to have it done.

I doubt you'll listen, though, even though I'm right. At least this way I'm doing as much as I can to combat racism.

Why don't you get it in English? Oh yeah, because English "isn't exotic and cool like those Chinky symbols."

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 06-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kenshiromusou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Sorry, KyleGoetz, but you are an irascible man/boy/woman/girl (whatever ...).
I see you like to participate in and help people; you are pretty good and have good intentions, I just think you should be more cordial with people.
That person just asks our help; we don't should judge.
release879, although there are several acceptions, I am more accustomed with shônen animation accepction (martial hornor - "meiyo").
So:
名誉 - MEIYO
Or:
尊敬 - SONKEI - more for "respect" - maybe what you want.

Last edited by kenshiromusou : 06-27-2009 at 02:51 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Rights and wrongs of kanji tatoos aside, two points need to be considered.

1・Tatooists have been known to produce fine pieces of work when writing kanji sometimes in mirror image or upside down even.

2・ tatoos of any sort aren't well received in Japan.

However, 約束 (yakusoku) would seem to be a strong contender for the context you are considering. promise/pact

Another possibility would be 指切り (yubikiri), for all that the ring finger isn't the right one.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kenshiromusou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Oh, girigiri! Yakusoku is very good for this context.
I remember of Chikai too;
誓い - Chikai - vow
or just "Sei" - - vow too - solemn oath.

Last edited by kenshiromusou : 06-27-2009 at 04:22 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
release879 (Offline)
New to JF

06-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your help.

KyleGoetz, you bring up a good point, I will admit.

However, I was never sure I was going to get this one anyway, because I can't hide it in the workplace.

Anyhow, it's not your job to try and tell me what's proper or not, so don't.

It's not racist, and I am not racist. I admire every culture of every race. East Asian cultures interest me very much.

kenshiromusou and girigiri: thank you very much for translating for me.

I'm deciding between yakusoku 約束 and sei 誓

Thank you again.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2009, 07:02 PM

There's a thread about Kanji tattoos.

Thoughts on Kanji tattoos?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by release879 View Post
Anyhow, it's not your job to try and tell me what's proper or not, so don't.

It's not racist, and I am not racist. I admire every culture of every race. East Asian cultures interest me very much.
It is everyone's responsibility to point out racism when they see it. Yes, it's racist. I just don't think you know what "racist" means. You seem to think it means "thinking poorly of a country." However, "all Asians are geniuses" is equally racist. Objectifying cultures is racism (or, at least, culturalism), too.

I mean, it's not like the kanji can actually express yourself! You don't even speak the language! You're just getting it because you want to objectify an entire culture (or more than one culture). Kanji tattoos are the equivalent of human zoos of the 19th century. To you, the writing system of a few countries is nothing but pictures to record on your body, void of almost all meaning.

Maybe you don't agree that kanji tattoos are racist, but it's still offensive to a number of people. And it looks really dumb. I know I'm not going to convince you, but I'm not going to sit around any longer quietly as people join JF just to ask about a kanji tattoo when they don't even speak the language.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2009, 12:45 AM

I would just add that although 約束 does mean "commitment" it can also mean other things in English. Personally I think it would look silly as a kanji tattoo, as it is a word that can also mean "Let's meet for lunch next week. Ok, 'promise'" and doesn't necessarily imply a lifelong commitment.

I think if I saw that on your finger I would assume you lost a bet where the loser had to "promise" to get a kanji tattoo. And by getting it you were holding up your end of the bargain...but that's just me.

約束 【やくそく】 (n,vs) (1) arrangement; promise; appointment; pact; engagement; (2) convention; rule;