JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Farox (Offline)
New to JF

Help with a presentation - 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM

Hey I need some help with making this sentence sound right, I'm doing a presentation about St.Davids day in wales and this is what I'm trying to say:

For Welsh people St.Davids day gives them a sense of pride (feeling of pride or something like that) and it also brings communities within wales together.

It's mainly that last part of the sentence I'm stuggling with, for the first bit I've already written:

ウェールズ人にとって自慢の感じがあります/あって.... and then I'm not really to sure which verb to use in this context to bring people together, and also still not 100% sure if 自慢 is right in this context as I also noticed it can mean boast aswell.

so if you could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks

EDIT: Also I didn't include the word St.Davids day in the sentence as I mentioned it in the last sentence i wrote as a topic so i thought maybe it wasnt rly needed

Last edited by Farox : 06-30-2009 at 08:03 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farox View Post
Hey I need some help with making this sentence sound right, I'm doing a presentation about St.Davids day in wales and this is what I'm trying to say:

For Welsh people St.Davids day gives them a sense of pride (feeling of pride or something like that) and it also brings communities within wales together.

It's mainly that last part of the sentence I'm stuggling with, for the first bit I've already written:

ウェールズ人にとって自慢の感じがあります/あって.... and then I'm not really to sure which verb to use in this context to bring people together, and also still not 100% sure if 自慢 is right in this context as I also noticed it can mean boast aswell.

so if you could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks

EDIT: Also I didn't include the word St.Davids day in the sentence as I mentioned it in the last sentence i wrote as a topic so i thought maybe it wasnt rly needed
You might be better off not using the word 自慢. You could use it if your Japanese were so natural both in writing and the presentation that the listeners would understand it to be a nice, humorous word choice. A smile on your face would be the prerequisite for using the word as well. But if you have a serious-looking face along with a thick accent and are speaking while looking down at your notes, then you wouldn't use 自慢. Use 誇り. You could use both, too. In any case, you would want to avoid sounding like you're only bragging. 

Regarding the other part of the question, maybe something like:

ウェールズの各地域間に連帯感が生まれます
ウェールズ人としての連帯感を感じます