JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to orewasenshi Send a message via MSN to orewasenshi
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Well, considering that I'm kind of mentally inept to learning on my own, I usually go to experts like teachers or people who have a lot of knowledge on said language.

My sister knows Japanese, so I've been learning from the books and the stuff she's been doing.

Books are good to get a great understanding of the language, and it helps me out a lot, but everyone learns differently.

I also use a game on my DS called MyJapanese Coach. I think it's another great way to get to know the basics of Japanese. It gives you the building blocks to learn Japanese, and it's highly interactive.

As I said before, everyone learns differently. Some learn better by being interactive and hands-on, and some don't. So really, just go with what you want to try :3
(#22 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-30-2009, 02:15 PM

I know what you're talking about, Xentron, insofar as the classroom is concerned, but believe you me, once you no longer have access to that support structure, your'e gonna want it.

Whether you realize it or not, the class is your biggest motivating factor. When you aren't gunning for that A or trying to surpass your peers, it's easy to get sucked up in the rest of life and rarely find time for study. So really, you need the class.

On top of that, you need the resource that is your teacher. Remember that he or she is not only a native speaker, but they have learned how to TEACH their native language. They can explain things to you in ways you will never think of by yourself, or see in a book. They can translate words, ideas, and concepts, and present it to you in a way you can understand. Teachers are an invaluable resource.

If you wanna skype, PM me and I'll send you my skype name. I'm on now, actually! XD I'm around JLPT 2kyuu with my Japanese so there's definitely a few things you could learn from me, I think.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Xentron Send a message via Skype™ to Xentron
07-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orewasenshi View Post
As I said before, everyone learns differently. Some learn better by being interactive and hands-on, and some don't. So really, just go with what you want to try :3
Well yeah that is true.
Of course the method on how to study varies a whole lot per person.
And also the method even varies per classroom if you so choose to study in a group.
For some reason I just couldn't get enough out of the classroom teachings while others might have been fully satisfied with what they learned.

And of course you get the benefit of socializing in the language you're learning during class, but I try to fill that blank with using friends of mine who have recently picked up the language as well.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
I know what you're talking about, Xentron, insofar as the classroom is concerned, but believe you me, once you no longer have access to that support structure, your'e gonna want it.

Whether you realize it or not, the class is your biggest motivating factor. When you aren't gunning for that A or trying to surpass your peers, it's easy to get sucked up in the rest of life and rarely find time for study. So really, you need the class.

On top of that, you need the resource that is your teacher. Remember that he or she is not only a native speaker, but they have learned how to TEACH their native language. They can explain things to you in ways you will never think of by yourself, or see in a book. They can translate words, ideas, and concepts, and present it to you in a way you can understand. Teachers are an invaluable resource.

If you wanna skype, PM me and I'll send you my skype name. I'm on now, actually! XD I'm around JLPT 2kyuu with my Japanese so there's definitely a few things you could learn from me, I think.
A teacher in my mind is a invaluable person, of course at some point I would need him to improve.
But using a private tutor instead of one that teaches a group seems like a better choice for my self at the moment.
Now let's just hope he doesn't charge me hundreds per lesson though...

I would love to get on skype, I'll be on in a few hours since I'm still at work right now (British time zone).
(#25 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentron View Post
A teacher in my mind is a invaluable person, of course at some point I would need him to improve.
But using a private tutor instead of one that teaches a group seems like a better choice for my self at the moment.
Very true, my friend. However, the social aspect is good. Practicing with your peers, discussions, roleplays, projects, groupwork... it's all invaluable. It just may not see it right now!

Quote:
Now let's just hope he doesn't charge me hundreds per lesson though...
Ah yeah, good luck! Hehe.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Very true, my friend. However, the social aspect is good. Practicing with your peers, discussions, roleplays, projects, groupwork... it's all invaluable. It just may not see it right now!

Ah yeah, good luck! Hehe.
Well you do make a good point...
But slight problem is that the nearest Japanese teaching uni is nearly 220 miles away.
As much as I love Japanese, it will cost me a whole lot of gas money driving back and forth...
(#27 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

07-30-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentron View Post
Well you do make a good point...
But slight problem is that the nearest Japanese teaching uni is nearly 220 miles away.
As much as I love Japanese, it will cost me a whole lot of gas money driving back and forth...
Yeah man, don't do that to yourself. There's other ways!

Are you currently in uni? Could you transfer?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-30-2009, 03:16 PM

I've graduated this year actually and just started my drag of a working life
So it's a shame I can't transfer to a school that teaches Japanese.
My only bet is evening school or private tutorship now I guess.

[edit]

I just discovered a site with helps you a little bit with Japanese (or a few other languages).
It's called edufire.
It's sort of a tutorship using video lessons.
Seeing a few of them spread on youtube (clips) and having read up on some of the material taught it seems like a brilliant deal for only $25.
Does anyone have any experience using edufire?
Seeing that I already spent over $2000 on rosetta, pimsleurs and what not I don't mind spending the extra $25.

Last edited by Xentron : 07-30-2009 at 09:17 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2009, 02:34 AM

I've been doing self study for about a month and a half, and managed to learn (not memorize) about 35 Kanji, all Hiragana, most Katakana (though some still manage to elude me and I have to refer to the chart in my book) and am able to understand the basic grammar structure.

It's slow when you have no one to really explain anything other than the words in your textbook.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SeraphimMephistopheles (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2009, 06:34 PM

hitori de gaikokugo wo benkyou suru no wa tanoshii to omotte imasu ga, sono you ni suru mae, sensei to hanasu koto kara bunpou no tsukaikata wo manabu no hou ga ii desu. kyoukasho wo yomu koto kara takusan manabemasu ga, ningen wa motto tetsudau koto ga dekimasu.

studying a foreign language by yourself is fun, i think, but, before doing so, i prefer learning how to use grammar from talking with the teacher, but i think that humans can help more