JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Are you actively learning Japanese?
Yes 45 80.36%
No 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-12-2009, 05:22 PM

That sound like a dull thud of a cranium against a brick wall?

That would be me.

And the 2kyuu.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Kufufunofu (Offline)
Kwon JiYong Lover

08-12-2009, 06:06 PM

i'm not..
gave up last yr ><
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

08-12-2009, 09:17 PM

I started just a tid bit ago again. I started when I was 12, gave up, started again when I was 16, gave up and now learning due to plans with my sister for six years in the future.

Only problem is there's no one who can speak Japanese around here. My high school had a choice to choose from for this upcoming year. Mandarin or Japanese. We all got to vote. Well, Mandarin won. So no help there whatsoever.

Currently I'm still using My Japanese Coach via DSi and last night started writing all the lessons down in a notebook to study.

I try to put a lot of effort in to it. Unfortunately, I never did this with my school work.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JustinATTACK (Offline)
Wtf does *glomps* mean??

Send a message via AIM to JustinATTACK
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviruu View Post
I started just a tid bit ago again. I started when I was 12, gave up, started again when I was 16, gave up and now learning due to plans with my sister for six years in the future.

Only problem is there's no one who can speak Japanese around here. My high school had a choice to choose from for this upcoming year. Mandarin or Japanese. We all got to vote. Well, Mandarin won. So no help there whatsoever.

Currently I'm still using My Japanese Coach via DSi and last night started writing all the lessons down in a notebook to study.

I try to put a lot of effort in to it. Unfortunately, I never did this with my school work.
They chose Mandarin?
Wtf, who would choose that over Japanese?

Lame highschool kids.

"Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard." Miyamoto Musashi
(#35 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinATTACK View Post
They chose Mandarin?

Lame highschool kids.
Maybe they chose it because Mandarin is probably the most widely used language in the world. There are a lot of Chinese people.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Maybe they chose it because Mandarin is probably the most widely used language in the world. There are a lot of Chinese people.
There are also quite a few more Mandarin speakers in the USA than Japanese.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinATTACK View Post
They chose Mandarin?

Lame highschool kids.
Living here, I know that Chinese is more widely spoken than Japanese. Richmond just seem to have more Chinese immigrants than say Korean, Japanese, or Vietnamese, even though they do exist here of course. Taking Chinese isn't too surprising, especially since it's a widley used business language, just like English.

That aside, when I was in high school, Japanese wasn't even an option. They had it, but not enough students took it, so they got rid of the class. They teach it now, though.

The colleges around me didn't teach Japanese either. Virginia Commonwealth University still doesn't teach and the main community college here teaches stuff like Hebrew, Arabic, and Chinese (aside from the usual, Spanish, French, etc.), but no Japanese. Crazy, right?

UoR teaches Japanese now and do exchanges, so that's cool, but still seems that Chinese would come first around here.