LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-19-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelestus View Post
You only really need to know one way. I just take the stem of the verbs for everything. I can do it fairly quickly now, so I don't actually realize that that's what I'm doing.
Thats nice, but going into ~te form
like I said is natural for me

(#12 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2009, 11:52 PM

Doesn't it make sense to just learn the dictionary forms and then just to conjugate them depending on what you want them to become.

I mean you you don't need to learn 食べる and 食べます separately. You just need to that it becomes the stem of ichidan verbs is removed in base 2 conjugations. There's no point learning everything separately when you can just learn the rules of verb conjugation. I mean there are only 2 irregular verbs in the language (3 if you count the partially irregular 行く) so there aren't many exceptions.

I mean I'm still a beginner at Japanese so I could be wrong. If I am then I am sorry. This is the way I've looked at it so far though and it has stopped me from running into a lot of the problems like the ones you have just mentioned so far.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Scelestus (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Doesn't it make sense to just learn the dictionary forms and then just to conjugate them depending on what you want them to become.

I mean you you don't need to learn 食べる and 食べます separately. You just need to that it becomes the stem of ichidan verbs is removed in base 2 conjugations. There's no point learning everything separately when you can just learn the rules of verb conjugation. I mean there are only 2 irregular verbs in the language (3 if you count the partially irregular 行く) so there aren't many exceptions.

I mean I'm still a beginner at Japanese so I could be wrong. If I am then I am sorry. This is the way I've looked at it so far though and it has stopped me from running into a lot of the problems like the ones you have just mentioned so far.
One is polite, and the other is "casual", that's why people tend to learn them separately. It's just like what I was saying with the stem of the verbs, just drop the ます and you're good to go for a lot of things --even getting the dictionary form.

But, I was taught that there are four irregular verbs: ある、 行く、 来る、 and する.

オリウース
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2009, 01:13 AM

My mistake. Yes I think ある is irregular also.I know one is polite and one is not but they can all be conjugated from the dictionary form so it makes sense just to learn dictionary forms for learning the verbs but learn how to conjugate them.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
08-20-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
I assume (like many of us) that you aren't fortunate enough to have a Japanese teacher to help you out atm. I, myself, only used books and the internet to get through learning the majority of what I learned.
uwaa....
it appears that you and i are in the same boat >.>""'

and.... my way of learning....
find someone who speaks japanese.. or atleast knows more about it than you....
and just say whatever comes to mind
and hopefully xD
that person will be kind/rude enough to correct you =DD

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
uwaa....
it appears that you and i are in the same boat >.>""'

and.... my way of learning....
find someone who speaks japanese.. or atleast knows more about it than you....
and just say whatever comes to mind
and hopefully xD
that person will be kind/rude enough to correct you =DD
I am using a text book to learn and am fixed unclarities on this forum.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
hanayuli (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperface View Post
I'm a bit worried, I've been taught loads of verbs in the polite form, I went out of my way to learn a few in the dictionary form. But now I'm wanting to use -te conjugations more and I'm having problems figuring them out as I don't know all the dictionary forms.

I know the eimasu to ete trick, but that doesn't cover the i-verbs.

Is it better to learn the -masu form and the -te form? or should I only really only be learning the dictionary or root form and then figuring out all the others from there?

I've googled, but it seems to differ. some places say stick to learning the dictionary forms. Others say just learn the forms as you use them (so masu, then -te) etc.

Thanks!

Learn short forms

花ユリ
(#18 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
08-20-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I am using a text book to learn and am fixed unclarities on this forum.
i stopped studying japanese a good 5 years ago
so all that i know now
is what i learned back in middle school =P

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2009, 02:11 AM

Unfortunately I know what you mean. I started a good 6 months or so ago but had to stop for a couple months as college was finishing for the final rush and so forth and just very recently have I had to pick it back up again. I have just this week started a 3 hour a day minimum study regiment with the hopes of learning again now that college has finished. I just need to keep up the willpower.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

08-20-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I know what you mean. I started a good 6 months or so ago but had to stop for a couple months as college was finishing for the final rush and so forth and just very recently have I had to pick it back up again. I have just this week started a 3 hour a day minimum study regiment with the hopes of learning again now that college has finished. I just need to keep up the willpower.
I use the studying of Japanese to help keep my mind straight in college when I have studied too much of difficult subject matter . It may sound counterproductive, but learning a language is pretty soothing for me after hours of computer science and calculus. It's sort of like using different parts of the brain. Complex algorithm making/calculus proofs vs. memorization. It's still keeping my brain active so it helps me unwind without losing the momentum!

Quote:
Exactly! It's a lot easier to learn the base word and then a set of rules rather than trying to treat and memorize conjugated words as a separate entity. This is how I approached Spanish and Japanese.