JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   What/ how do I say.... (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27250-what-how-do-i-say.html)

Barone1551 08-19-2009 08:41 AM

What/ how do I say....

I am having a email conversation with a friend from Japan. I was wondering if there is a saying in Japanese that has the meaning of "no problem" or "dont mention it". ex. If I wished her a happy birthday, she then replies with thank you. I want to say "dont mention it", or "no problem".

Is there a common way to say this. If not thats ok too. I cant think of a way to say it with my limited Japanese knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Ronin4hire 08-19-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 762847)
I am having a email conversation with a friend from Japan. I was wondering if there is a saying in Japanese that has the meaning of "no problem" or "dont mention it". ex. If I wished her a happy birthday, she then replies with thank you. I want to say "dont mention it", or "no problem".

Is there a common way to say this. If not thats ok too. I cant think of a way to say it with my limited Japanese knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Don't mention it? As in "you're welcome?".

-If the thank you was really heartfelt and deep... then I'll reply with douitashimashite
-If the thank you was a courtesy thank you then I'll just say "hai" or not say anything.

Anyway... not sure if this is the proper way... but my Japanese friends don't feel the need to correct me on these points nor do they respond awkwardly so it should be OK if you do as I do.

Don't worry too much about small things like this dude during conversation... just say what you think you should... and if it's wrong it's wrong and you'll be corrected or you'll get a confused stare (or email) back in return haha :)

Barone1551 08-19-2009 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help Ronin. Ill probably go with どういたしまして. And yeah its not a huge deal what I use. Its not like we would stop being friends after this lol. And I dont know why I never thought of using "your welcome". Maybe I was just over thinking lol.

Thanks again sir.

IcewindDude 08-19-2009 05:33 PM

Not familiar with mail ettiquette in Japanese, but that's something I would usually respond with a simple "iie" if this is casual. Sort of like saying "no thanks needed".

Seanus 08-19-2009 10:54 PM

Barone's help was spot on. In romaji, it's dou itashimashite. They use it a lot.

Barone1551 08-19-2009 11:06 PM

I cant take credit. That was Ronin's suggestion. Thanks for the credit though lol. He answered my question, and I just agreed with him.

Seanus 08-19-2009 11:09 PM

Aha, I missed that part. I see it now. I can't have Ronin biting my head off ;) He's right, it is more heartfelt.

SceptileMaster 08-19-2009 11:54 PM

In a leaflet I have about Japan it said it was rude to accept a compliment in Japan.

Barone1551 08-20-2009 12:29 AM

Yeah I have been told the same. Like if you get a complement such as " your really skilled in japanese" You should reply with "no I am not skilled, I still need lots of work".

In Japanese I think:

A: 日本語がじょうずです。
B: いいえ、じょうずでわありません。までまでです。

Not sure if thats perfect.... or even close for that matter lol.

yuujirou 08-20-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 762998)
Yeah I have been told the same. Like if you get a complement such as " your really skilled in japanese" You should reply with "no I am not skilled, I still need lots of work".

In Japanese I think:

A: 日本語がじょうずです。
B: いいえ、じょうずでわありません。までまでです。

Not sure if thats perfect.... or even close for that matter lol.

noo..
that's actually very close to what i say when someone compliments my japanese xD

A: Nihongo jyoozu desu ne?
B: Iie, mada mada jyoozu jya arimasen ^^"

although
now i'm not sure if i'm saying thing's proper o.o'''''

correction someone?!!?!?!?
>.<"""

**Btw..... i don't have japanese input ='( *****