JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

じゃありませn vs. ではありません - 08-24-2009, 07:21 AM

I have been wondering lately what the difference is between じゃありません and ではありません。 I have always used ではありません, I had never even heard じゃありません until recently. I had been wondering this, and decided to make a topic about it becuase I recently saw another thread about a different topic, address this question.

I did search for a topic like this one and couldnt find anything. I may not have searched the correct combination of words. Sorry if this has been answered.

So I guess my question is. Which is better? Does one sound more natural? Is one more formal?

Thanks for any help.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

08-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
I have been wondering lately what the difference is between じゃありません and ではありません。 I have always used ではありません, I had never even heard じゃありません until recently. I had been wondering this, and decided to make a topic about it becuase I recently saw another thread about a different topic, address this question.

I did search for a topic like this one and couldnt find anything. I may not have searched the correct combination of words. Sorry if this has been answered.

So I guess my question is. Which is better? Does one sound more natural? Is one more formal?
I'll keep my answer brief as I've done this same question a few times in the last several months.

If you've always used ではありません, that's great. Keep using only that one.

じゃありません is so often used by Japanese-learners, and we native speakers will even understand what it must mean. Do we say it ourselves? The answer is mostly negative. Some may say it occasionally, but if you write じゃありません in a compo for school, you will be corrected 100% of the time. Educated Japanese-speakers couldn't stand the funny-sounding imbalance between the sloppy, colloquial じゃ and the fairly formal ありません.

ではありません is just perfect and natural balance-wise, which in turn means that if you change one part of it, you'd better change the other part as well. You can't mix a formality and sloppiness in a short phrase like this in any language, I would say.

If you must use じゃ, you could say じゃない、じゃないの、じゃないんだ, etc. In fact, じゃ is so informal that a dialectal phrase often follows it.
じゃないじゃん
じゃねーな
じゃねーよ

All of these mean ではありません in texbook Japanese. These are the factors that make じゃありません sound unnatural. It's just the wrong and forced combo of words.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Thank you very much! Sorry about the repeat question.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 12:52 AM

I don't mean to question anything here as this is just a continuation thing. But is there differences in it's uses in different dialect thing because your from Toukyou?

I always trust your judgement on speaking Japanese it's just that I've seen another native speaker who writes as a language tutor for Japanese who said that じゃありません is common in casual conversation. Is it possible that it is more common in other parts of the country. I have also seen ではない used, which is obviously the other way around. Does ではない sound natural?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

08-25-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
I don't mean to question anything here as this is just a continuation thing. But is there differences in it's uses in different dialect thing because your from Toukyou?

I always trust your judgement on speaking Japanese it's just that I've seen another native speaker who writes as a language tutor for Japanese who said that じゃありません is common in casual conversation. Is it possible that it is more common in other parts of the country. I have also seen ではない used, which is obviously the other way around. Does ではない sound natural?
I don't feel too confident in answering your first question regarding the dialects. I've lived in two cities (Nagoya and Tokyo, over 20 years in each ) and I have visited 44 of the 47 prefectures. Still, I can't say that I've noticed a major regional difference in the use of ではありません/じゃありません.

The more I think about this, the more I remember when I was learning English. I was strictly taught to say "he doesn't", "it doesn't", "John doesn't". When I was 19, I happened to visit America for the first time and heard someone say "he don't". I heard it on TV as well from a contestant on a gameshow. All this happened within two days of my arrival. I felt exactly how you must be feeling right now. "Have I been taught wrong back home?"

The answer would be mostly no, I'd have to say. I don't regret that I've been using "doesn't" with a third-person, singular subject. You won't regret that I kept yelling at you to use ではありません, even though I can't prove it right now. 

I have no interest in telling how people should talk or write to their friends and families either in their own language or Japanese. But it would be extremely irresponsible of me if I told you that you could freely use じゃありません in business and other formal occasions. Yet this is internet. I shouldn't expect to have more influence on you than someone physically near you.

If a teacher from England told his Japanese students that it's up to them to choose between "he don't" and "he doesn't", he would be seeing the headmaster soon, wouldn't he?

These are my standards and guidelines when answering language questions on JF.
_______

Yes, ではない sounds natural.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-25-2009, 04:04 AM

The problem I have had with learning Japanese is that for many things people say different things and a lot will tell you that there way is the right way and what you should say. It can be very confusing when you first start learning.
When I first came to Japan, I was learning things like counting. When it came to counting floors 一階 二階 三階 四階  I was told by my GF that it must be ikkai, nikai, sangai yonkai etc. When asked about why it must be gai for 3 instead of kai she said that sankai would be too difficult to say (what about 三回 sankai, 3 times I said to no response). Subsequent teachers told me only sankai, only sangai, both are okay & I was confused to put it mildly (read politely) Typing on a computer if I write sankai or sangai they both come up with the kanji 三階 so I assume both are used. My point is so many people say different things, just like in any language. I know native japanese speakers who cannot understand anything that high school students say. I know high school students who can't understand what the next group of high school students are saying

It's a difficult language often made more difficult by teachers and textbooks.

I know a lot of people who studied Japanese at school in Australia or America, then came to Japan and nobody has a clue what they are saying. Too textbook you might say

My advice is to first work on how to communicate and not worry about sounding natural, then when you have reached a certain level, worry about sounding natural.

じゃありません though I have never heard and my PC doesn't want to convert it either. Still, I bet some kids have started saying it and it might be the next big thing.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

08-25-2009, 08:23 AM

I'm confused as to why so many textbooks (written by Native speakers) would teach じゃありません over ではありません. There must be some reason =/
(#8 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2009, 10:03 AM

You guys seem to be ignoring the fact that Nagoyankee has given you a very logical reason not to use じゃありません. じゃ is colloquial and ありません is somewhat formal.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Unfortunately I live in the north of england and the nearest very big city (Manchester) is over an hour away, which is the only city I found locally with Japanese tutors in it. I wish I had one, but I have to learn on my own.

And on the subject of saying don't instead of doesn't, don't is definetely incorrect and I never say it but I hear it very often from other people. The problem though is no one can speak English in England. If you ever come here (and I would advise anyone not to) expect to here the mixing round of 'were' and 'was', lot's of double negatives, people using the word 'like' for no reason multiple times a sentence, people saying things like 'the most stupidest' and phrases such as 'well good' replacing every positive adjective in the whole language. Also there is just the complete lack of any correct grammar and sometimes even sentence order. Sorry about the rant, but as you can tell I have intense distaste for England. But what I was getting at is that it's so common to say don't that you would not be taken to the principle and some of the teachers might even say it themselves.

And thanks for the explanations. I think I'll definetely make sure that I use ではありません instead of ではありません.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
And on the subject of saying don't instead of doesn't, don't is definetely incorrect and I never say it but I hear it very often from other people.
You are ignoring a simple fact: you learn a language to communicate with people, not textbook-correct grammatical robots. If people say "he don't," then you must learn it at some point.

Prescriptively, yes, "he don't" is incorrect. However, descriptively, it is correct.

Whatever "correct" means for you. If you think about it, the only way you judge correctness in a language is based on how people use it, not how some dictionary tells you to speak.

People stuck in your rigid mindset have the most problems learning languages. "Wait, my textbook says XXX, so why do people use YYY???" Simple: Your textbook or study materials are rigidly focused on teaching "essay language" and not "how people actually talk language."

In other words, your textbook be wrong, yo

On a side note: Even in Texas, "ain't" is taught as 100% wrong usage when in fact "ain't" is the correct contraction for "am not" (well, technically "an't" was the original, but you catch my drift). One example of people with too rigid grammatical rules ruining words.

Another stupid rule is "don't put prepositions at the end of a sentence." This rule was invented in only about 100 years ago or so when teachers were trying to import Latin grammatical rules into English.

Regardless, such a rule is one up with which I shall not put.