LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
Specialized Vocab List? - 10-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi all,

I'm really gunning for a spot in a kitchen somewhere here in Osaka (preferably Italian), and as such I would like to improve my cooking-related vocab. Verbs, nouns, and especially adjectives; all the good stuff.

Usually I'm the guy to google things for people but initial google searches don't really yield anything too helpful (about.com is awful and doesn't count).

So... does anyone have any resources? Or do you just wanna dump some knowledge in here?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Hi all,

I'm really gunning for a spot in a kitchen somewhere here in Osaka (preferably Italian), and as such I would like to improve my cooking-related vocab. Verbs, nouns, and especially adjectives; all the good stuff.

Usually I'm the guy to google things for people but initial google searches don't really yield anything too helpful (about.com is awful and doesn't count).

So... does anyone have any resources? Or do you just wanna dump some knowledge in here?
I have a food and cookery dictionary. Not sure if it's still in print (it's a bit old) but I could give the ISBN?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

10-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I have a food and cookery dictionary. Not sure if it's still in print (it's a bit old) but I could give the ISBN?
Yeah that would be a big help!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah that would be a big help!
Ok, it's "A Dictionary of Japanese Food. Ingredients and Culture" by Richard Hosking, ISBN 0907325 742 Printed by Prospect Books and Charles E. Tuttle Company Inc Tokyo branch, 1996.

It focuses obviously on japanese cooking but it still has a lot of useful vocab in it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-02-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Why not just go to ja.wikipedia.org and search for 料理 and see where you go from there?

Alternatively, go to the English wikipedia page for anything (frying, saucepan, creme brulee, etc.) and then click on the Japanese link on the left hand side of the page.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

10-02-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Why not just go to ja.wikipedia.org and search for 料理 and see where you go from there?

Alternatively, go to the English wikipedia page for anything (frying, saucepan, creme brulee, etc.) and then click on the Japanese link on the left hand side of the page.
I would, but that would take ages, and I'd rather just have a list of the good stuff sitting in front of me, compiled. Because then otherwise I gotta walk around my kitchen thinking of things whose names I don't know, then I gotta go through all the cooking techniques I know in my head, then I gotta pore through recipies, etc etc, just to get a list.

But I do frequently use that technique, for example to find out how to katakana-ize (read: butcher) something.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-02-2009, 03:39 AM

what about cook books from your local library,... theyre bound to have all the cooking jargon, and some specifically nohongo-ified italian names and recipes i'm sure, hopefully with some nice pictures.

hey if you get the gig, show them how a real spaghetti bolognaise is meant to taste like,....and get them to call it bolognaise and not meato soosu
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

10-02-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
hey if you get the gig, show them how a real spaghetti bolognaise is meant to taste like,....and get them to call it bolognaise and not meato soosu
Dude... you have no idea how much that bothers me XD

I recently walked into a tiny hole-in-the-wall italian place in Osaka and the head chef is a fantastic guy who spent 8 years travelling around Italy, working in some high-profile restaurants. So naturally, his stuff is up to snuff! He also abhors his fellow Japanese Italian chef's... he says they're "fake" and also used a couple other naughty words, hehe.

But yes, I shall check out the library!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
But I do frequently use that technique, for example to find out how to katakana-ize (read: butcher) something.
Glad to hear. I wish the n00bs asking how to write their name in Japanese would realize they could do that very easily. I tend to verify that way before answering such a question.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-03-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Dude... you have no idea how much that bothers me XD

I recently walked into a tiny hole-in-the-wall italian place in Osaka and the head chef is a fantastic guy who spent 8 years travelling around Italy, working in some high-profile restaurants. So naturally, his stuff is up to snuff! He also abhors his fellow Japanese Italian chef's... he says they're "fake" and also used a couple other naughty words, hehe.

But yes, I shall check out the library!
AND STOP PUTTING CORN AND MAYO IN EVERYTHING.

Seriously, Dominos pizza in Japan has mayo. I was watching a cooking show where the hostess was making a pound cake, and it looked so delicious UNTIL SHE PUT WHOLE KERNELS OF CORN IN IT RIGHT BEFORE BAKING.

Rage.