JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
AnChan0198 (Offline)
New to JF

Wink 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM

It's all related to where the physical object is located, in relation to the speaker and the listener. This may sound complicated, and at first very unlogical, but when you get the hang of it it's actually very convenient.

Imagine you going into a store and the cleark at the counter ask you what you'd like to buy. You point at the object right infront of you saying "これ" or you might point at an object near the cleark and say "それ" or at something far away from the both of you, then you'd have to use "あれ". It's the same story with この、その、あの. As easy as that
(#12 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM

You never put a noun in front of the -re form of the word. It is used when saying things like "This is ____". When using the -no form, you put a word in front of it, such as another poster said, "pen"... so it's like saying "This pen is ______".

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnChan0198 View Post
It's all related to where the physical object is located, in relation to the speaker and the listener. This may sound complicated, and at first very unlogical, but when you get the hang of it it's actually very convenient.

Imagine you going into a store and the cleark at the counter ask you what you'd like to buy. You point at the object right infront of you saying "これ" or you might point at an object near the cleark and say "それ" or at something far away from the both of you, then you'd have to use "あれ". It's the same story with この、その、あの. As easy as that
He didn't ask the difference between こ〜・そ〜・あ〜・ど〜. He asked the difference between 〜の・〜れ.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I loathe responding to romaji but I will as I do have problems with those translations. Those Japanese words don't mean those English phrases.

この only means "this" and never mean "this one" and a noun MUST follow it. "This one" is already a noun phrase, isn't it?

haha xD
my apologies
i totally replied to this while i was basically half asleep (it was..... like 5am my time >.>")
and..... i can't write in hiragana... since i have no japanese input =.=
so yeaaa... bear w/ me? xD

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-04-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
haha xD
my apologies
i totally replied to this while i was basically half asleep (it was..... like 5am my time >.>")
and..... i can't write in hiragana... since i have no japanese input =.=
so yeaaa... bear w/ me? xD
How can you not have kana input in this day? XP, Vista, OSX Tiger on up, and many Linuces all have kana input built in.