JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Job in the US requires Nihongo (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27618-job-us-requires-nihongo.html)

Air 09-08-2009 06:52 PM

Job in the US requires Nihongo

I've been unemployed for months and I'm desperately looking for work. I'm looking specifically for an IT job, but really, anything will do at this point.

On an Internet job board, I noted in my profile that I knew basic Japanese, which I do, from taking a class that studied the first two volumes of Japanese for Busy People. I'm way past tourist-level Japanese, but I have trouble with every-day conversation.

So recently, I received a phone call for a company who viewed my profile, and they're interested in me doing IT work in a Japanese bank-- it requires proficiency of spoken and written Japanese (I'm not sure how much yet).

I don't really know what to do here. Should I try to fake it, or cram and try to understand the language, or just turn it down? All I know is, I really need a job and nobody else is calling.

burkhartdesu 09-08-2009 07:03 PM

Proficient:
the state of being proficient; skilled; expertness: proficiency in music.

It may end terribly when they realize you may not be proficient. Chances are, if you're second guessing your ability, then it probably is not the right job for you.

Air 09-08-2009 07:24 PM

Well, the job description doesn't say 'proficient,' those were my words. If the description required fluency or business-level Japanese, I would decline the offer.

I think I'll let the hiring manager decide if I know enough, but I still want to brush up. I guess jumping from beginner to conversational in a few weeks is unrealistic?

MMM 09-08-2009 07:27 PM

The best thing to do is be honest. With something like that, the lie will be figured out within days, if not sooner.

KyleGoetz 09-09-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Air (Post 769488)
I've been unemployed for months and I'm desperately looking for work. I'm looking specifically for an IT job, but really, anything will do at this point.

On an Internet job board, I noted in my profile that I knew basic Japanese, which I do, from taking a class that studied the first two volumes of Japanese for Busy People. I'm way past tourist-level Japanese, but I have trouble with every-day conversation.

So recently, I received a phone call for a company who viewed my profile, and they're interested in me doing IT work in a Japanese bank-- it requires proficiency of spoken and written Japanese (I'm not sure how much yet).

I don't really know what to do here. Should I try to fake it, or cram and try to understand the language, or just turn it down? All I know is, I really need a job and nobody else is calling.

Um, won't there be an interview at some point? Or did they offer the job to you sight unseen?

One would assume they'd determine your proficiency in the interview.

BoyFromTheFuture 09-09-2009 12:17 AM

Intense anime-watching sessions KGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!
Honesty , tell them it's basic. If they're fine with that , learn up more as much as possible , Japanese is a fair easy language imo, esp. if you have interest.

KyleGoetz 09-09-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoyFromTheFuture (Post 769581)
Japanese is a fair easy language imo, esp. if you have interest.

Hate to tell you, but linguistic research suggests otherwise. Japanese is classified as one of the most difficult languages to learn for a native English speaker.

BoyFromTheFuture 09-09-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 769585)
Hate to tell you, but linguistic research suggests otherwise. Japanese is classified as one of the most difficult languages to learn for a native English speaker.

Could be right , but I was speaking in my personal opinion.:D

KyleGoetz 09-09-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoyFromTheFuture (Post 769589)
Could be right , but I was speaking in my personal opinion.:D

Gotcha. I found it easy, too (much easier than my major—abstract math—or professional degree—law). But then again, I found Spanish easier, so it could just be that I've an ear for languages.

TalnSG 09-09-2009 04:12 PM

The last I noticed there weren't many banking terms in the Japanese for Busy People text.

Since this does imply that you will need to understand both Japanese IT and Banking terminology, it sounds like this is way beyond your current ability. Given the highly sensitive nature and emotional volatility of that combination (I was in IT for a mortgage banker for a few years), some very subtle nuances could become firestorms quickly.

You better be very clear with the interviewer and pray they are willing to consider someone with a willingness to learn and only an example of beginning efforts.