Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzukakiBurasuki View Post
I'm sorry, but don't do this.

It's really dishonorable to certain cultures when you tattoo their language onto you without even knowing the concept.

If you really must know why, it is because when デ (de) is pronounced for a longer period of time, instead of adding イ (i), it is also possible to use ー to prolong the sound from デ (de) to デイ (dei). It's essentially the same pronounciation, but デー (dee [dei]) would be preferred.

I'll just say this again to be exact. PLEASE do not tattoo this on your arm. I've already met someone who's done this before and it was really degrading and disappointing. (besides the fact that I ownd him in DDR >_>)

P.S. Is your son's name Jayden, Jaden, or Jaydon? That's what the katakana says.
it's not really the "de" part that's prolonged, but rather the "ee" part of Jeedon. Jeedon = Jeidon because there are almost no double "ee" in japanese writing. Jeidon then becomes Je-don because it emphasizes the double e. so to sum it up, i believe the 2nd one is correct.
it's your body, if you are happy with the end result by all means get the tattoo. it's like telling someone that smoke cigarettes that they are dishonoring "something". it's not so much dishonorable, but it's rather silly. i for one, lean towards the "please don't do it" side.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM

I messed up editing a quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Well! Let me bring you back to earth, Kyle. Someone's gotta do it!

Why would this be "dishonorable"? That sounds like something out of some medieval movie. Btw, you do know how often the Japanese "dishonor" the English language they are supposedly taught in schools right? It makes no difference whether it's English put on 50% of merchandise in Japan, or some few people putting Japanese on their body elsewhere. Whenever we see those weird English phrases or words from the Japanese, we just laugh and think the Japanese are weird, vice-versa is true also.
this dude is absolutely right, my friends sister wore a shirt that said COCKUS, i laughed so hard.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#13 (permalink))
Old
hippykiller1 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Hanzimatter

This is an awesome website for people who go with Chinese characters for tattoos. Seriously. I laughed long an hard. Then I sent it to some of my friends who speak Chinese and they had an even better laugh.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying... If its a name that uses the Roman alphabet, just stick with that.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JayAyeAre (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to JayAyeAre
10-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
This is akin to encouraging a smoker to up it to two packs a day if they like smoking.
And that is "akin" to encouraging a person with many wrinkles to not smile anymore; so they wouldn't create more wrinkles.

If you want to decide what is right and wrong for an individual by all means do so..
Just make sure your perfect and all the decisions you make are always the right ones.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-09-2009, 01:41 AM

Your body is yours to do with as you please, but our bodies are the only things we have which are truly ours, and therefore they deserve some respect.

I've always thought that it was bizarre that people get tattoos with the names of their loved ones. Why? Do you think your son will only believe you love him because you have his name tattooed to your arm? You should do what most people do, carry his picture in your wallet.

Getting a tattoo in Japanese is rather ironic as in Japan tattoos are only common on gangsters, criminals, and lower-class people. In Japan people are taught that their bodies are sacred, and should be respected. The gangsters are widely known to respect nothing and no one, while criminals and lower class people are thought to be too stupid to know better.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
koikurasu (Offline)
Obey the fist!

Send a message via AIM to koikurasu Send a message via MSN to koikurasu Send a message via Skype™ to koikurasu
10-09-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Well! Let me bring you back to earth, Kyle. Someone's gotta do it!

Why would this be "dishonorable"? That sounds like something out of some medieval movie. Btw, you do know how often the Japanese "dishonor" the English language they are supposedly taught in schools right? It makes no difference whether it's English put on 50% of merchandise in Japan, or some few people putting Japanese on their body elsewhere. Whenever we see those weird English phrases or words from the Japanese, we just laugh and think the Japanese are weird, vice-versa is true also.

There's no more meaning other than it's how you'd pronounce his name with the extremely limited sounds of Japanese.

And the concept? There's nothing fancy here. There's the best pronunciation and then there's the Japanese symbols (HA!) to do it. That's all there is to that concept.

What you get out of these tattoos are curiosity and questions. Most tattoos are not paid any attention to. With the exception of Japan, few people around the world know any Japanese. Really, this tattoo could be in anything as long as most people do not initially know what it means. As of right now, Japan happens to be pretty popular in modern culture, so it's no surprise that people often look to Japanese symbols (HA!) first. It may be strange, but that's the point!

I'll have to agree with one thing for sure... Make sure you are getting what you mean to get. Research it yourself and don't rely on some tattoo artist to make it up for you. That site is hilarious though!

"his initials, requesting the tattooist to "write them in Chinese symbols / characters / ideographs / hieroglyphs / pictographs / whatever.""

ROFL! Initials? Seriously?

In any case, it's true, unknown languages, especially the complex and pictographic Chinese writing, are "mystical" or whatever to those who don't understand them. But face it, if you've seen enough of them and understand so many of them like you want the tattooed to do, that "air of mystique" disappears! They become just words.

Knowing only the meaning, which no one else around you would know, is the significance. However, you may get weird(er) stares while in Japan or China, but whatever, you're just some crazy foreigner anyways.

Now I'm going back to that hilarious site to read more tattoos gone wrong. Then I'll head on over to the equally hilarious Engrish.com.
I mean he has clearly thought it through, he isn't just some guy that is like "HURR DURR I want Japanese on mah body to feel cool" And I think it shouldn't matter if your not of Japanese decent if it has special meaning to you then by all means get it.

Was it something I said? Whatever it was, I didn't mean it. I haven't meant anything I've said for years. Except what I just said. I think

Final Fantasy Clan Member
CODE NAME: CHOCOBO
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-09-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAyeAre View Post
And that is "akin" to encouraging a person with many wrinkles to not smile anymore; so they wouldn't create more wrinkles.

If you want to decide what is right and wrong for an individual by all means do so..
Just make sure your perfect and all the decisions you make are always the right ones.
Bullcrap. I will decide what is right and wrong for a person when I am asked to be an accomplice in the act.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JayAyeAre (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Bullcrap. I will decide what is right and wrong for a person when I am asked to be an accomplice in the act.
i don't know what you mean by "accomplice in the act"; it seems i should though because it is bold. Which act are you being an accomplice in?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-09-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAyeAre View Post
i don't know what you mean by "accomplice in the act"; it seems i should though because it is bold. Which act are you being an accomplice in?
i think he means being asked to give advice about a tattoo.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JayAyeAre (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 05:12 AM

The OP asked what was the difference between the 2 names she posted; not asking people their personal opinion about the tattoo she is going to put on her own body.
In that matter Kyle cannot mean "accomplice in the act"
and ultimately shouldn't decide what is right and wrong for people based on his opinions unless he is perfect himself..

Last edited by JayAyeAre : 10-09-2009 at 05:21 AM.