JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Novak (Offline)
New to JF

じゃ・では / Ja - de wa question - 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM

What's the difference between "ja arimasen" and "dewa arimasen"?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2009, 04:55 PM

I was taught that "ja arimasen" is what's generally spoken, but not usually written and is more colloquial than "dewa arimasen" which is used more in writing.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 05:05 PM

~ます ~ません です でした etc. are almost never seen in writing unless quoting someone's written speech.

Here's from a news article today:
ロシアを訪問中のヒラリー・クリントン米国務長官は13 、モスクワでラブロフ外相と会談した。両外相は第1次戦略兵器削減条約(START1)に 代わる新たな核軍縮条約の年内締結に向け交渉を加速す ることで合意した
 会談後の共同記者会見でクリントン長官は新核軍縮条 約について「我々の目的はSTART1が期限切れとな る12月5日までに条約締結の作業を終えることだ」と発 した。ラブロフ外相は「大きな前進があった」と述べたが、 核弾頭の上限など具体的な内容には言及しなかった
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2009, 05:11 PM

I know most text tends to use plain form, MMM, but the OP used 'masen' and the question was about the use 'ja' and 'dewa'.

I'll rephrase it then; I was taught that 'ja' is more usually spoken and less usually written and 'dewa' is the reverse.

If that's still wrong, then please let me know so I can add another complaint to the 'why my teacher needs to be fired' list.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kiv78 (Offline)
New to JF

10-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Im JPnese.exactly.you are right.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I know most text tends to use plain form, MMM, but the OP used 'masen' and the question was about the use 'ja' and 'dewa'.

I'll rephrase it then; I was taught that 'ja' is more usually spoken and less usually written and 'dewa' is the reverse.

If that's still wrong, then please let me know so I can add another complaint to the 'why my teacher needs to be fired' list.
I was taught the same way, Columbine. I don't think a native speaker would agree, though. Essentially they mean the same thing, and you could argue 'de wa' is more formal than 'ja', but they more than likely can be used interchangeably.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Novak (Offline)
New to JF

10-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I was taught the same way, Columbine. I don't think a native speaker would agree, though. Essentially they mean the same thing, and you could argue 'de wa' is more formal than 'ja', but they more than likely can be used interchangeably.
Thanks mate
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-13-2009, 10:45 PM

There have been a few topics about this subject before. Nagoyankee has said that じゃありません is not/very rarely used. Now that I have a formal Japanese teacher (it's not a greatly difficult course quite easy so far, nothing I didn't know, but I need a high school level foreign language qualification to get into Japanese at university) she said じゃありません is not uncommon. She is also a native speaker. So I think either may acceptable.

Last edited by SceptileMaster : 10-13-2009 at 11:07 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-14-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
There have been a few topics about this subject before. Nagoyankee has said that じゃありません is not/very rarely used. Now that I have a formal Japanese teacher (it's not a greatly difficult course quite easy so far, nothing I didn't know, but I need a high school level foreign language qualification to get into Japanese at university) she said じゃありません is not uncommon. She is also a native speaker. So I think either may acceptable.
Nagoyankee has said specifically that じゃない and ではありません are the typical pairings. I was taught じゃありません in school many years ago, but I have never a single time ever heard it said by a Japanese person. I lived in Kanagawa and went to school in Tokyo, for what it's worth.