(#11 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Are these being called components in English now too?
Japanese コンポ is what I would call a shelf stereo / shelf system, or something like that. Component in English makes me think of actual parts or component cables.
But... I`ve been out of the US so very long that maybe they`re called them components now instead of stereos or shelf systems.
Component makes me think specifically of component cables for a TV as in the RGB cables for HD. If you hadn't said 'stereos or shelf systems', then shelf systems would've had me a bit confused. If the stereo system is just connected to a TV, computer or some other media device I'd probably call them just 'speakers' instead.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-22-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
Component makes me think specifically of component cables for a TV as in the RGB cables for HD. If you hadn't said 'stereos or shelf systems', then shelf systems would've had me a bit confused. If the stereo system is just connected to a TV, computer or some other media device I'd probably call them just 'speakers' instead.
I wouldn't just refer to them as "components" in general. I'd need that word in the specific context of "the components to my set-up are X, Y, and Z." I would understand the meaning in other contexts, but there would be a fleeting thought of component cables.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I wouldn't just refer to them as "components" in general. I'd need that word in the specific context of "the components to my set-up are X, Y, and Z." I would understand the meaning in other contexts, but there would be a fleeting thought of component cables.
Maybe it's an age thing. The receiver, tape deck, CD player, record player were all called "components" for a stereo system. I don't think a lot of people have these things as separate items anymore, if at all, so the term may be outdated.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-22-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Maybe it's an age thing. The receiver, tape deck, CD player, record player were all called "components" for a stereo system. I don't think a lot of people have these things as separate items anymore, if at all, so the term may be outdated.
That is what I think of if someone says "stereo components" - the individual parts like a receiver, tape deck, cd player, etc, hooked up to speakers. Something like this;

When I hear コンポ in Japanese, I think of something all in one, and fairly small. Like this;

They seem quite different.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Yeah, my parents didn't have those things (money reasons) and I didn't, either (age and money reasons).
(#16 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-22-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
1. 生コン freshly mixed concrete
4. 婚活(こんかつ) spouse-finding activities (attending parties, using agencies) This is a new word.
Thanks a lot. Now I have learned some new words