JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozziphil (Offline)
New to JF

Help to translate to Japanese please - 10-20-2009, 07:14 AM

I am trying to translate this sentence as I am going to use it for a tattoo.

" peace through karate"

can this be translated to Japanese.
Thankyou for any help you can give.

regards
Phil
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Reading this post somehow reminds me of another thread somebody started,
saying he wanted the names of his 2 sons in Japanese as tattoos on his arm.
The tattoo guy showed him the 2 names in katakana, but the guy didn't know for sure that those characters were really the names of his sons. So he decided to ask on JF if the names were correct. Then (almost) everybody posted negative posts about that he shouldn't get those tattoos if he wasn't Japanese
or something along those lines... I think the same thing will happen on this thread xD
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Edit After seeing MMM's response below and rethinking my reasons for rebelling against tattoo requests, I decided that I didn't want to screw you over like I normally do. OP, MMM's response is excellent. The one I formerly posted was something akin to "ridicule through questions." Sorry.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 10-22-2009 at 12:28 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-21-2009, 05:38 AM

shouldn't 'piisu' be written in katakana if it is a loan word from the English language?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-21-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortry View Post
shouldn't 'piisu' be written in katakana if it is a loan word from the English language?
Peace can certainly be written in Japanese.

I usually don't do these, but this tattoo intrigues me, and I like its idea.

I would probably go

空手で平和

or

空手から平和

Katakana ピース means making the peace sign as someone takes your picture.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ozziphil (Offline)
New to JF

Thankyou MMM - 10-22-2009, 12:47 AM

MMM I thankyou for taking time out to answer my question in an unopinioned way.Tattoos are a very personal thing and I would not insult any race or religion in regards to certain styles of tattoos.I am very immersed in Karate and the statement "peace through karate " written Japanese style is more of an appreciation of the Japanese culture,and a desire to form friendships between our countries.

Kind regards

Phil
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziphil View Post
MMM I thankyou for taking time out to answer my question in an unopinioned way.Tattoos are a very personal thing and I would not insult any race or religion in regards to certain styles of tattoos.I am very immersed in Karate and the statement "peace through karate " written Japanese style is more of an appreciation of the Japanese culture,and a desire to form friendships between our countries.

Kind regards

Phil
You are welcome, Phil. If possible, I would get a second opinion, if you can a Japanese native sensei. I do not know how tattoos are viewed in the karate world, and tattoos with writing in them are relatively rare in Japan, so make sure you are doing the right thing.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ozziphil (Offline)
New to JF

reply - 10-22-2009, 01:22 AM

MMM,

Japanese style tattoos are very popular here in Australia and writting being among them.Im not sure what it is like in Japan now but I am lead to believe that tattoos where linked to the Yakutsa years ago.Also after watching many episodes of L.A ink it seems Japanese style tattoos are popular in American society aswell.
I have toyed with the idea of getting traditional style koi carps,dragons and waves etc but dont really want to go that big even though I love that type of art.What I am planning to do with the writting is something Im not rushing in to as I have thought of this along time.
Its been great communicating with you and wish you peace.

Kind regards
Phil