JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ReconditePhreak (Offline)
New to JF

am married vs getting married - 11-08-2009, 03:50 AM

watashi wa kekkon shite iru = I'm married

how would you say "I'm getting married"?

My best guess is "watashi wa kekkon shimasu".

If that's correct, is that normal for most things or something specific to marriage?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconditePhreak View Post

If that's correct, is that normal for most things or something specific to marriage?
When in doubt on a simple dictionary query, check a dictionary: “getting married”の検索結果(37 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク

結婚している to be married
結婚する to be getting married (will get married)

婚約している = I am engaged.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

11-08-2009, 07:28 AM

I realize you can take a noun and turn it into a verb by placing suru at the end, that wasn't my question. Had you not decided to be rude, perhaps you could have answered the question rather than making up your own to answer.

I understand you can use iru after the te form of a verb to denote something that is ongoing (marriage, for example). My question is, when you're not denoting something that is ongoing, but instead is going to happen, how would that be said?

I used marriage as a concrete example, but lets pretend I didn't since that seems to confuse some people.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Marriage is a state of being, so when using ている form here, it is the same as the past tense in English "I am married".

As you suspected 私は結婚します means I will get married, but I am not married at this time.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I realize you can take a noun and turn it into a verb by placing suru at the end, that wasn't my question. Had you not decided to be rude, perhaps you could have answered the question rather than making up your own to answer.
Oh ho, we got someone with fire in his belly! I like you, boy. Chill out, though, homes. Being rude to people here (especially those who help out) will not get you very far.

I wasn't being rude: I was directing you to a link that could clarify your implied first question (i.e., "Am I right about the use of 結婚する?"). You'd be surprised how often people ask simple questions that could be answered by a dictionary lookup. When I link such a person to ALC, the response is often "thanks."

Furthermore, you are not entitled to an answer from anyone. The fact that I answered your implied first question does not give you cause to be angry that I didn't answer your second (explicit) question.

I would suggest you not attack those who are helpers on the board, for your are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. Let's not lose track of the fact that I provided help, you've never contributed to this board, and now you're being rude in return. It's a fine first impression.

Quote:
I understand you can use iru after the te form of a verb to denote something that is ongoing (marriage, for example). My question is, when you're not denoting something that is ongoing, but instead is going to happen, how would that be said?
It sounds like you're asking how to use the future tense. There is no future tense in Japanese that is distinct from the simple present tense. To say something will happen, you use the "simple present" tense (cf. "present progressive and continuous" tenses). You'll notice that I pointed that out in my response to you anyway ("will be" is there). So it turns out I did provide help regarding your explicit question after all! Who woulda thunk?

Example:
I am helping. 手伝っている。
I will help. 手伝う。
I do help. 手伝う。

Example 2:
I am in Texas. テキサスにいる。
I will be in Texas. テキサスにいる。

OK, it's 2am. Yeah, I answered your Q at 2am when I have to be up at 6:30a. Sorry to be so rude, man.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

11-08-2009, 12:22 PM

MMM, thank you for the help.

Kyle, I would have been interested in your apology had you not prepended it with such an inflammatory post. You don't call someone "boy", proceed to apologize, and expect them to take it seriously. You do that when you're attempting to escalate the situation.

I think it's best if we simply ignore each other.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
MMM, thank you for the help.

Kyle, I would have been interested in your apology had you not prepended it with such an inflammatory post. You don't call someone "boy", proceed to apologize, and expect them to take it seriously. You do that when you're attempting to escalate the situation.

I think it's best if we simply ignore each other.
Sorry if you thought I was actually apologizing. I suppose you're right. *sigh* Another rude noob offends me. Perhaps I've too much sand in my butt from the beach...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2009, 04:49 PM

The form of state of being verb can have the ている meaning as happening at the moment? For example:
Aさん:田中さんはいつ結婚しますか。
Bさん:いま結婚していますか。
Or is it always used to show past and for present continuos it is better to use other forms like: いま結婚している所です?

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-09-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
The form of state of being verb can have the ている meaning as happening at the moment? For example:
Aさん:田中さんはいつ結婚しますか。
Bさん:いま結婚していますか。
Or is it always used to show past and for present continuos it is better to use other forms like: いま結婚している所です?
You bring up an interesting point if I read your question right. Learn 途中.

Also keep in mind that phrases cannot always be translated literally. I'm not sure if 結婚している途中 is a construction that would mean "I am in the process of getting married right now [i.e., I am standing in front a priest with my fiance(e) right now]." However, that would be my best guess for expressing as literally as possible what you seem to be asking.

Personally, I'd avoid the whole issue and just say 結婚式にいる or something like that.

Your "guess" reads more to me like:
Quote:
When will Tanaka get married?
Tanaka-san is already married.