JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What's better (or what do you prefer to type)? - 11-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Do you prefer a romanji IME or some sort of native keyboard?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Do you prefer a romanji IME or some sort of native keyboard?
I don`t know a single person in Japan who types using anything other than "romaji" IME. All on Japanese keyboards.
I would say that the normal way to type in Japanese is romaji IME.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-18-2009, 12:37 AM

What's Romaji IME?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-18-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
What's Romaji IME?
On a Japanese keyboard, there are kana on the keys. I am assuming this is what the original poster meant by "native keyboard" - figuring that people in Japan perhaps type using those.

However, I have yet to meet someone who types using anything other than the romaji method - you type Japanese in romaji, basically, あ is typed by pressing a, か is typed by typing ka, etc. The IME is a program (more like an OS feature these days) that interprets what you have typed into another language`s writing system. So instead of pressing the keys that have あ and か (3 and t) on them, you type aka and then select from a popup list to type 赤.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2009, 12:53 AM

That's interesting. So then what are the the kana keyboard styles used for, programming?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-18-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
That's interesting. So then what are the the kana keyboard styles used for, programming?
No, programming is done in the same programming languages used outside of Japan - so there is pretty much no place for Japanese to begin with.

From my understanding, it`s a holdover from years and years ago, from back in the word processor days. People who learned to type in the late 70s ~ 80s apparently learned on the kana input system. But it has a lot of shortcomings, and is really awful for people who program (as you can`t use it) so IME and romaji became the norm.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-18-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
On a Japanese keyboard, there are kana on the keys. I am assuming this is what the original poster meant by "native keyboard" - figuring that people in Japan perhaps type using those.

However, I have yet to meet someone who types using anything other than the romaji method - you type Japanese in romaji, basically, あ is typed by pressing a, か is typed by typing ka, etc. The IME is a program (more like an OS feature these days) that interprets what you have typed into another language`s writing system. So instead of pressing the keys that have あ and か (3 and t) on them, you type aka and then select from a popup list to type 赤.
I'll back you up. My year at university, I saw a lot of students using computers. However, I never saw one using the kana input method.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-18-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
No, programming is done in the same programming languages used outside of Japan - so there is pretty much no place for Japanese to begin with.

From my understanding, it`s a holdover from years and years ago, from back in the word processor days. People who learned to type in the late 70s ~ 80s apparently learned on the kana input system. But it has a lot of shortcomings, and is really awful for people who program (as you can`t use it) so IME and romaji became the norm.
In fact, the Ruby programming language was invented by a Japanese guy. Here is a sample of the language:
Quote:
# Everything, including a literal, is an object, so this works:
-199.abs # 199
"ruby is cool".length # 12
"Your mother is nice.".index("u") # 2
"Nice Day Isn't It?".downcase.split("").sort.uniq.join # " '?acdeinsty"
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
In fact, the Ruby programming language was invented by a Japanese guy. Here is a sample of the language:
There are actually a couple of programming languages all in Japanese - but you`d be hard pressed to find someone who actually uses them for anything other than novelty.
I also do not think that "native" Japanese programming languages are used any more inside Japan than outside of it. Even with your example, there aren`t any Japanese characters used in the language itself. (Which is what I meant in saying that there was really little place for Japanese.)

Pretty much everyone uses the same programming languages, at about the same levels, as the rest of the world.

Last edited by Nyororin : 11-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Nyororin is right- I doubt there are many people that use kana input on computers- I've never seen anyone doing it. I have a 14-year-old Japanese friend who was telling me she learned to use Romaji input to type in Japanese at elementary school, so I'm guessing it's pretty much universal now.

Cellphones on the other hand are usually kana input.