JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Gehadu (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Thank you all.

I need this sentence primarily because I'm working on a learning guide/Manual for our Martial Arts dojo. Our sosai is Masututsu Oyama, and this was one of his alleged quotations, so i'm trying to get that ready for the presentation which should be in a week or two and i'm geting nervous because i don't feel i could get it translated by then.

The language guide i'm using to learn japanese is a digital one, and it doesn't allow me to pass lessons once i have compleste certain learning outcomes, the first outcome i have to pass is hiragana and katakana before i can learn more about simple sentences like desu. I don't know where else to get learning help...

I fully understand the reason why you would give the translation in romaji, its not the primary way to write.

Sorry about the introduction, i can't believe i wrote Konichiwa and not Konnichiwa... ARGH!!!! by the way how do you type in hiragana if you have a US keyboard?

Thank you

Last edited by Gehadu : 11-22-2009 at 06:23 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehadu View Post
Thank you all.

I need this sentence primarily because I'm working on a learning guide/Manual for our Martial Arts dojo. Our sosai is Masututsu Oyama, and this was one of his alleged quotations, so i'm trying to get that ready for the presentation which should be in a week or two and i'm geting nervous because i don't feel i could get it translated by then.
Why are you trying to translate English->Japanese if it was originally in Japanese?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! And it's Masutatsu Ooyama. And if you're working on something commercial like it seems, you should hire a professional translator. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a Chevy Nova situation in Mexico ("Chevy No va" means "Chevy doesn't go" in Spanish).

Personally, I prefer this quote of his: 自分には見えない自分の顔を人に見られている、それが 人生だ。 "To show to people one's face that one cannot see, that is life."

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 11-22-2009 at 08:12 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
by the way how do you type in hiragana if you have a US keyboard?

Thank you
LOOK AT THE VERY FIRST TOPIC IN THIS ENTIRE FRIGGING FORUM ENTITLED "Sticky: How to enable Japanese characters on your PC." Yeesh!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Gehadu (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2009, 08:17 AM

KyleGoetz, i have read that topic and i have found where it helps me to type with japanese hiragana/katakana. Secondly KyleGoetz, please do not be rude, i was not rude to you.

The original quote i found was only in english i have search for along while for the orignal quote in japanese, i can't find it... I know i need professional help, unfortunately i do not have the funds to do so... The manual i am doing for my sensei as additional help.

But i get how i am perceived on this forum, i will find the means to help myself.

Thank you for your help though.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-22-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Secondly KyleGoetz, please do not be rude, i was not rude to you.
When you ask a question answered in a sticky, you are being rude. It's a shame kids these days are not taught proper netiquette. Netiquette dictates you attempt to answer your own question before asking. To do otherwise says to people "I value my time and consider yours worthless" because you're asking us to explain something to you in a few minutes that would take you 30 seconds to find the answer to.

Get off my lawn. *grumble*

Look, first impressions are important. Your first impression was to ask us to translate something you had apparently made no effort to do yourself. Your second impression could be that you become a well-functioning member of the board.

I think when I first came on, I got in flamewars with a guy named Shad0w. Now we get along and I contribute positively. I like to think I'm no longer some cybernut, but rather a cybernaut.

So heed my suggestions, please, and we will come to love you as a brother.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 11-22-2009 at 09:58 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
When you ask a question answered in a sticky, you are being rude. It's a shame kids these days are not taught proper netiquette. Netiquette dictates you attempt to answer your own question before asking. To do otherwise says to people "I value my time and consider yours worthless" because you're asking us to explain something to you in a few minutes that would take you 30 seconds to find the answer to.

Get off my lawn. *grumble*

Look, first impressions are important. Your first impression was to ask us to translate something you had apparently made no effort to do yourself. Your second impression could be that you become a well-functioning member of the board.

I think when I first came on, I got in flamewars with a guy named Shad0w. Now we get along and I contribute positively. I like to think I'm no longer some cybernut, but rather a cybernaut.

So heed my suggestions, please, and we will come to love you as a brother.
Personally after a reply like yours I wouldn't become a "functional" person of this forum, but I would leave...and as a matter of fact I did it for several months in the past and even now I find more a friendly enviroment another forum (can't mention it to be fair with Japan forum, but I guess you know it coz you suggest the lesson site, whose forum I am talking about, very often in here).

There are ways and ways to say things and even tho you claim over and over to be very educated...unfortunately you are way too faulty in other aspects. Maybe in a court of law you have the right to treat people like that, but fortunately out of court people have the freedom to just turn their back to you.
Please keep this in mind, because as a member who posts very often and answers to question about Japanese language you are one of the few in here who can leave a good or bad "first impression". Unfortunately though that leaves a mark on the whole forum and not only on you.

Just my 2 cents...

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Personally after a reply like yours I wouldn't become a "functional" person of this forum, but I would leave...and as a matter of fact I did it for several months in the past and even now I find more a friendly enviroment another forum (can't mention it to be fair with Japan forum, but I guess you know it coz you suggest the lesson site, whose forum I am talking about, very often in here).

There are ways and ways to say things and even tho you claim over and over to be very educated...unfortunately you are way too faulty in other aspects. Maybe in a court of law you have the right to treat people like that, but fortunately out of court people have the freedom to just turn their back to you.
Please keep this in mind, because as a member who posts very often and answers to question about Japanese language you are one of the few in here who can leave a good or bad "first impression". Unfortunately though that leaves a mark on the whole forum and not only on you.

Just my 2 cents...
You may have a point, and I do try and be kind to newcomers most of the time, but when someone asks questions answered in a sticky on this site, I think it is cause for reprimand.

And I view people whose first post is a translation request as very suspect—basically, I expect them to get their translation and leave and never return. It happens everywhere else I've ever visited. Basically, if Post #1 asks for a translation, there will be about three follow-up posts and then nothing ever again. It makes me feel used and dirty. I don't know, maybe that's just a personal problem of mine.

But you are right that I should be more kind; I tend to lose patience with those who ask what I consider to be objectively dumb or lazy questions (e.g., "please translate this, my first post ever" and "how do I do something there's a sticky about" and "how can I learn Japanese in 15 days"). Perhaps that fourth post I made in this thread should not have been in caps. But the first three cannot possibly be construed as antagonistic. Incredulous in #3, but not antagonistic.

And please direct me to where I claim to be very educated. I try very hard not to mention my education or intelligence or anything like that directly; I'd rather demonstrate it through help.

And, to be fair, I think you in particular got upset with me about something in the past and now apparently see that I'm so negative all the time. I think I've refuted you twice by demonstrating that somewhere near 95% of all posts I make are helpful and positive.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
You may have a point, and I do try and be kind to newcomers most of the time, but when someone asks questions answered in a sticky on this site, I think it is cause for reprimand.

And I view people whose first post is a translation request as very suspect—basically, I expect them to get their translation and leave and never return. It happens everywhere else I've ever visited. Basically, if Post #1 asks for a translation, there will be about three follow-up posts and then nothing ever again. It makes me feel used and dirty. I don't know, maybe that's just a personal problem of mine.

But you are right that I should be more kind; I tend to lose patience with those who ask what I consider to be objectively dumb or lazy questions (e.g., "please translate this, my first post ever" and "how do I do something there's a sticky about" and "how can I learn Japanese in 15 days"). Perhaps that fourth post I made in this thread should not have been in caps. But the first three cannot possibly be construed as antagonistic. Incredulous in #3, but not antagonistic.

And please direct me to where I claim to be very educated. I try very hard not to mention my education or intelligence or anything like that directly; I'd rather demonstrate it through help.

And, to be fair, I think you in particular got upset with me about something in the past and now apparently see that I'm so negative all the time. I think I've refuted you twice by demonstrating that somewhere near 95% of all posts I make are helpful and positive.
I didn't mean to sound harsh. I got nothing against you, nor I am whatsoever upset for something you told me. I didn't say you are negative all the time. As I said you post alot here and you are indeed very helpful in this forum. I learnt to trust your opinion regarding Japanese language (and speaking of me that's a lot trust me). But you tend to lose your temper too quickly sometimes.
I guess who comes in here all the time learnt to know you (big statement I know ), so I doubt we can get offended by certain tones you use sometimes. But first time comers can react differently.
Instead of starting calling them dumb or lazy, it is enough to say "look at the sticky messages" or "try search option coz this question was already answered". And even if all they want is to know how to say a word or a phrase and not study the language, I don't really see the big deal in that. I asked my old manager (Turkish) many times how to say a word in his language without actually studying it.

Anyway, I don't mean to start anything bigger that what actually is. I was just saying that maybe you should consider a better first approach (if they continue then go ahead, I will unleash you ).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-24-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
I didn't mean to sound harsh. I got nothing against you, nor I am whatsoever upset for something you told me. I didn't say you are negative all the time. As I said you post alot here and you are indeed very helpful in this forum. I learnt to trust your opinion regarding Japanese language (and speaking of me that's a lot trust me). But you tend to lose your temper too quickly sometimes.
I guess who comes in here all the time learnt to know you (big statement I know ), so I doubt we can get offended by certain tones you use sometimes. But first time comers can react differently.
Instead of starting calling them dumb or lazy, it is enough to say "look at the sticky messages" or "try search option coz this question was already answered". And even if all they want is to know how to say a word or a phrase and not study the language, I don't really see the big deal in that. I asked my old manager (Turkish) many times how to say a word in his language without actually studying it.

Anyway, I don't mean to start anything bigger that what actually is. I was just saying that maybe you should consider a better first approach (if they continue then go ahead, I will unleash you ).
To be fair, you make some very good points. I suppose I lose my temper online because I'm such a peaceful guy in real life (believe it or I'LL KILL YOU! ).

I will try to stay calm. I was a bit tired when I responded harshly to the guy earlier, and I think in this situation a bit of frustration is warranted, but I should still strive to keep my cool. Thanks for calling me out on it.