JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

Styles of Writing Kanji - 11-28-2009, 01:40 AM

i’ve noticed for japanese writings, it tends to mix with kanji. i don’t know if japanese would called these kanji characters traditional or simplified in english (unlike chinese), but for chinese, there is a difference.
since chinese do not mix any two together, or else it would be unrecognizable or causes confusion for one type of readers.

my point is, does japanese writing tend to mix the two kanjis together? since i’ve come across a writing that someone writes:

当館では電話による勧誘販売は一切行っておりません ... (i clearly do not know what it means in jp, but this is an example.)

for instance: 当 is a simplified character, and 館 is a traditional character.
traditional of 当 would be 當 as for 館 simplified would be 馆.

so i was wondering for japanese does 当 and 當 or 館 and 馆 etc. can mean the same thing. or does 当 never be written as 當 in jp kanji?
for example, i don’t think 当館 can be written as 當館 or 当馆 in jp. if i’m not mistaken [?] since to me the kanjis seems to be a mixed of both types of writings, however i think for jp it’s (natural [?]) to write in both forms?

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~

Last edited by MilKyXxdreamXx : 11-28-2009 at 10:21 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-28-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx View Post
i’ve noticed for japanese writings, it tends to mix with kanji. i don’t know if japanese would called these kanji characters traditional or simplified in english (unlike chinese), but for chinese, there is a difference.
since chinese do not mix any two together, or else it would be unrecognizable or causes confusion for one type of readers.

my point is, does japanese writing tend to mix the two kanjis together? since i’ve come across a writing that someone writes:

当館では電話による勧誘販売は一切行っておりません ... (i clearly do not know what it means in jp, but this is an example.)

so i was wondering for japanese does 当 and 當 or 館 and 馆 etc. can mean the same thing. or does 当 never be written as 當 in jp kanji?
for example, i don’t think 当館 can be written as 當館 or 当馆 in jap. if i’m not mistaken [?] since to me the kanjis seems to be a mixed of both types of writings, however i think for jp it’s (natural [?]) to write in both forms?
Japan pretty much uses it`s own standard on this. There is one way of writing each character, in in some cases they are simplified in a different way than in Chinese. Forms that are simplified in modern Japanese are only seen in their traditional form in names or in very old writing. On the other hand, characters that are traditional in Japanese NEVER use the Chinese simplified form - and the Chinese simplified is pretty much impossible to read.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-28-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx View Post

for example, i don’t think 当館 can be written as 當館 or 当馆 in jap. if i’m not mistaken [?] since to me the kanjis seems to be a mixed of both types of writings, however i think for jp it’s (natural [?]) to write in both forms?
It causes no confusion whatsoever, period.

The Chinese simplified the hanzi in their own way and the Japanese simplified them in their own way.

The general Japanese public have no knowledge of how kanji are written in China. We use only what we use, so there's no room for confusion. When we see the sentence 当館では電話による勧誘販売は一切行っておりません, we don't even think of how simplified each kanji in it is. Each kanji in the sentence is written just the way we learned it in school.

You are in a different situation. If you try to learn Japanese using your Chinese hanzi knowledge, you will be confused forever. The same happens to a Japanese learner of Chinese if he isn't flexible enough to "forget" about Japanese kanji and re-learn the Chinese-style hanzi.

Finally, I'd appreciate it very much if you didn't use the word "jap". You live in the U.S., you should know how it shouldn't be used.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
11-28-2009, 05:32 AM

I'm told by one of the chinese teachers who is a native of beijing that the simplified characters were the shorthand for most of the hanzi and when the communist government came in they made it official. Also, to readers of chinese who use traditional characters, I feel like once you figure out a few common simplifications it's not as hard to read simplified characters. Also of note to the OP, there are some kanji that were partially simplified on their own in japan but simplified in a different manner from chinese. Example: 覚える and 覺 ->觉
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

11-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
It causes no confusion whatsoever, period.

The Chinese simplified the hanzi in their own way and the Japanese simplified them in their own way.

Each kanji in the sentence is written just the way we learned it in school.

You are in a different situation. If you try to learn Japanese using your Chinese hanzi knowledge, you will be confused forever. The same happens to a Japanese learner of Chinese if he isn't flexible enough to "forget" about Japanese kanji and re-learn the Chinese-style hanzi.

Finally, I'd appreciate it very much if you didn't use the word "jap". You live in the U.S., you should know how it shouldn't be used.
i think i understand what you mean, in a way, i wouldn't have a clue that japanese would have their own form of simplified and traditional ways in writing also. although some of their simplified that i've seen looks about the same as chinese simplified.
but it makes sense as it being seen in a different peer of perspective by different systems.

btw, my apologizes since i didn't mean to state that, i was trying to avoid it but somehow while re-reading i wasn't focused on thinking about it. (didn't even catch it myself either til now) sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
Also of note to the OP, there are some kanji that were partially simplified on their own in japan but simplified in a different manner from chinese. Example: 覚える and 覺 ->觉
lol.. chinese also have the word "覚" too, but we don't use it for writing (at least that's what i think). although it means the same as the other two word you pointed out.

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~

Last edited by MilKyXxdreamXx : 11-28-2009 at 10:20 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-28-2009, 10:27 PM

I thought this thread was going to be on Japanese fonts or something..?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me