JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
EDignum (Offline)
New to JF

Drowned Thoughts - 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Hallo

I've posted a thread earlier, with a translation-request.

I have a new one.

Can the little sentence "Drowned Thoughts" be translated to Japanese?

The translated sentenced will be used in a photo with a Far East/Fantasy theme.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Erik
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

02-16-2010, 08:30 PM

"Drowned Thoughts" is not a sentence. I'm not even sure how to explain the meaning in English... Thoughts that one must not think anymore? Thoughts that are forgotten?

I'm not Japanese, but I doubt there is a translation for this phrase. Maybe something with more clarity like "Forgotten Thoughts" or something. Wait for more replies though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 08:33 PM

There is a translation for everything...whether or not it makes sense or not is the problem.

I agree with Jesse, I don't understand what this means in English, so it is difficult to translate.

Can you explain a little better?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-16-2010, 08:39 PM

Things that sound "profound" in English will often sound silly or nonsensical in Japanese, and vice-versa. A lot of people who visit these forums ask for translations of similar phrases, and the translation usually doesn't carry the same meaning as it does in the source language.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Raiha (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2010, 09:28 PM

溺れた想い would be the literal translation i guess.
don't you drown thoughts by drinking? if that's the case, maybe something along the lines of suppressed thoughts might make more sense in Japanese.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Things that sound "profound" in English will often sound silly or nonsensical in Japanese, and vice-versa. A lot of people who visit these forums ask for translations of similar phrases, and the translation usually doesn't carry the same meaning as it does in the source language.
Bah, "drowned thoughts" doesn't sound profound in English. It sounds like the title to a poem written by a mallgoth.

Consequently, it wouldn't carry the same significant in Japanese—it's an idiomatic phrase in English.

I suppose if you're talking about thoughts drowned in alcohol, it doesn't sound immature in English. Not sure how you'd translate something so idiomatic into Japanese, though. I don't know the equivalent.

However, I do think the English is "drowned sorrows," not "drowned thoughts" in that case.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-16-2010 at 10:07 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2010, 10:45 PM

I have always equated 'drowning thoughts' with 'Avoiding dwelling on thoughts that are worrisome/harmful by keeping your mind occupied or focusing elsewhere ' would be as close as I can manage to defining it off hand.

Like someone might put on loud music to 'drown out' thoughts of their relationship problems, or someone might go running to focus their mind on exercise and 'drown out' their issues with a coworker, at least for the time being.

I don't think I've ever used 'drowned sorrows' as a stand-alone expression. Its always been 'drowning/ed his/her/my/your sorrows'. The same goes for 'drowned thoughts'; although I suppose someone more literate than I could work them into some sort of standard sentence.

Disclaimer: I'm usually proven wrong.

Last edited by Nathan : 02-16-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't think I've ever used 'drowned sorrows' as a stand-alone expression. Its always been 'drowning/ed his/her/my/your sorrows'. The same goes for 'drowned thoughts'; although I suppose someone more literate than I could work them into some sort of standard sentence.
I totally agree.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-17-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Bah, "drowned thoughts" doesn't sound profound in English. It sounds like the title to a poem written by a mallgoth.
I agree, never said it did - although I suspect OP feels differently.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-17-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDignum View Post
Can the little sentence "Drowned Thoughts" be translated to Japanese?

The translated sentenced will be used in a photo with a Far East/Fantasy theme.
Can you elaborate a little? What kinds of photos are they that you want to title "Drowned Thoughts"?

If you remember my name or that hamburger, I'm the one that did your first one a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiha View Post
溺れた想い would be the literal translation i guess.
That's a translation for the sake of translation. Makes no sense to this Japanese-speaekr.