JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
biocit (Offline)
JF Regular

02-25-2010, 03:33 AM

It's the same thing in Chinese. You can learn the chinese alphabet, or you can learn the romanized alphabet. In the long run, it makes no difference which one you use. When I say, "Wo men zou ba," people who know the romanized form can tell me exactly what it sounds like. It makes no difference which one you use.

If you want to learn Chinese "properly", then yeah, you should learn the Chinese alphabet. But, learning the romanized version will never warp your accent. (It'll be just as bad or good as how you speak it while reading the "proper" Chinese alphabet.

Going clubbing tonight, c ya.

Last edited by biocit : 02-25-2010 at 03:37 AM.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-25-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocit View Post
English can be manipulated in a way where it has the means to describe almost any sound. "si" is the placeholder for し、just like how し is the place holder for the sound.

What I'm trying to say is that you can say "Onegai Shimasu" in the same way you can say, "お願いします”。 There's absolutely no difference. Alphabets are just placeholders for sounds.

While you certainly can't produce the same sounds as a native English speaker by writing in katakana, you can definitely produce the same sounds by using romaji to describe kana.
Fine. Yes you can LEARN how to manipulate the sounds from the Roman alphabet to make the proper sounds in Japanese, but that means you are RELEARNING pronunciation, but using romaji instead of hiragana.

Si is not naturally to a native English speaker.

The sound would more likely be written she by native English speaker. But even that is not correct, as if a native speaker of English says she, more than likely it would sound like しい to Japanese ears.

So you can RELEARN romaji to fit Japanese, or LEARN hiragana.

For beginners, RELEARNING romaji seems like an obvious choice because it APPEARS to be easier. But long term students of Japanese know that which APPEARS easier often only extends the inevitable and in the end makes things harder.

This might be part of the reason so many people quit their Japanese studies after a certain period of time.

Certain hurdles must be passed. Delaying them does not make them easier...it simply delays them.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

02-25-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm surprised no one has pointed out this:

私(わたし)は、 Watashi ha = I am

If you insist on using romaji to teach people, but argue that their pronunciation isn't affected by it, why are you teaching them to say HA for particle WA?
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocit View Post
Free Japanese tutoring
Of course it's free (or near free). You're selling fake fur!

The way you defend romaji is simply ludicrous and unlettered. It might appeal to some drooling, lazy anime fans in your country, but nothing more because today's serious Japanese learners just know better.

お前なんかに日本語を教える資格はね~んだよ。早く気 付け、なんつっても無理だろうな、こういう奴には・・ ・ 
(#65 (permalink))
Old
biocit (Offline)
JF Regular

02-25-2010, 09:05 PM

お前も理由なんか上げってねーよ。なんで俺の教え方が 間違ってるのか言ってごらん。 お前。。もしかして、 韓国人が嫌いで俺の事をバカにしてるの? だったらお 前なんかと話もしたい気分もないよ。 ちゃんっと理由 を上げてみ。こっちはもうていねいに人に教えられる義 務があるって証明したし。

お前が先生かどうか俺には関係ないよ。 ただの子供だ と思うしかない。

中国語でなんだっけ。。。去死

Last edited by biocit : 02-25-2010 at 09:07 PM.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
biocit (Offline)
JF Regular

02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
I'm surprised no one has pointed out this:

(わたし)は、 Watashi ha = I am

If you insist on using romaji to teach people, but argue that their pronunciation isn't affected by it, why are you teaching them to say HA for particle WA?
it's extremely easy. Tell them that "ha" is pronounced "wa", which I already pointed out. It's not hard people.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
biocit (Offline)
JF Regular

02-25-2010, 09:10 PM

I'm tired of this thread. Hamburger boy is just drooling out non-sense and isn't even listening to me. I don't know if he's a teacher or not, but I can only see him for a kid.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

02-25-2010, 09:15 PM

So first teach them romaji and then teach them that when you write HA you mean WA unless it isn't being used as a particle and HE you mean E and OU is really just long OO unless there is a space in between the O and U (spaces which of course don't exist in Japanese) then it is O - U. etc. etc. etc.

The point is that if you have to spend this much time teaching them how to read romaji then there really isn't any point in skipping kana at all because it is just really confusing.

Also, I do believe that you do write wa rather than ha in standard romaji. I could be wrong because I've never used romaji because I am a serious learner and people who actually want to learn the language should have enough common sense to first learn kana

Also, Sashimister is probably upset because he is tired of seeing under qualified people trying to teach his native language by using the letters from another language. It's not that hard of a concept, I would be equally upset if a Japanese person was teaching other Japanese people how to speak English by using Katakana and saying "well they're new so they can use alphabet letters later."

Last edited by jesselt : 02-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.