LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
You speak as if romaji was an option for writing Japanese. It isn't. Romaji will get you nowhere, period.

Just look at the first line of my signature. If that looks terrible to you, which it should, you should be informed that that's how romaji looks to us Japanese.
I certainly know that. Also, I hate romaji more than you can imagine. and if it was my choice, i would prevent Japanese from being written with romaji. But what can a person do when they don't know the basic hiragana and katakana?!!! do ya have another solution? also even if they know only the japanese alphabet without kanji, it would be impossible for me to read what they write! In order to type 'real' japanese, you should use hiragana and katakana together with kanji. This is Japanese!!! so even if you suggest he should type hiragana, that's not japanese either.
Ok look..... I totally agree with you! so you don't even need to show me some examples to prove what you want to say. Believe me I know how romaji is noisy and it should be prohibited! but what can he do when his computer doesn't have japanese fonts?!!!

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
I'm sorry, but I also stated in my OP that the computer I'm using doesn't have Japanese scripts on it, and since this isn't my computer I can't install them.

I suppose, though, if it really is so important (which I can see your point) I'll try and find a romaji and kana converter online maybe?
Depending on the OS you're running, nothing needs to be installed. I know that on Vista and Windows 7, the ability to input japanese (and I think chinese) are defaults on the computer, you just have to enable it. I did this for my girlfriend's laptop, no installation whatsoever. With Vista (and I think Windows 7, too) just go to 'Control Panel' then 'Clock, Language, and Region' and go to the Keyboards and languages tab of the window that comes up. Enable japanese, and you're done. In case you don't already know the shortcuts, use alt + shift to switch between the japanese IME and english, and when in the japanese IME, use alt + ` (that is the ~ key but in lower case) to switch between inputting hiragana and letters.

If you can't even add the keyboard, then disregard this, but you don't have to literally install anything. Hell, I doubt any sort of corporate spyware/virus/systems check would bother to notify that you've added the keyboard.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Ignore him. Hatsuto tends not to listen to reason from people with skills.
This has no relation to the Japanese script since it is not of our choice. I mean, we should follow the rules when writing it so It has nothing to do with my opinion, neither with yours.
BTW, if you were really skilled, you wouldn't state that so officially. Skilled people usually hide their skills instead of claiming "I am skillful" while being lacking skills. Also, I admit your Japanese is thousands times better than mine and this is a fact! But bear in mind the way you studied Japanese is totally different from the way i did, and the same for the period. So why don't you make a performance to your skills in front of the other skilled people like you (i mean, instead of showing me your skills)?!!
Oh by the way, I think I'd better apologize to you Kyle for this post, because I am afraid it left a wound in your heart!!! I know you are so soft-centred and I am afraid my words may hurt you!!! (and consequently, you may head for the mods and ask them to ban me:P) So sorry Mr.Kyle

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsuto11 View Post
I certainly know that. Also, I hate romaji more than you can imagine. and if it was my choice, i would prevent Japanese from being written with romaji. But what can a person do when they don't know the basic hiragana and katakana?!!! do ya have another solution? also even if they know only the japanese alphabet without kanji, it would be impossible for me to read what they write! In order to type 'real' japanese, you should use hiragana and katakana together with kanji. This is Japanese!!! so even if you suggest he should type hiragana, that's not japanese either.
We've been over this before, Hatsuto. Hiragana is japanese. They were adapted from the "man'yoogana" (Hanzi used only for their sound). Many of the original Japanese novels used mostly or entirely hiragana. If you want to write in all Kanji, then you should study Chinese. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill here, if you meant that using only hiragana isn't real Japanese, then I agree (with regards to the language as it is now).
(#15 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
We've been over this before, Hatsuto. Hiragana is japanese. They were adapted from the "man'yoogana" (Hanzi used only for their sound). Many of the original Japanese novels used mostly or entirely hiragana. If you want to write in all Kanji, then you should study Chinese. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill here, if you meant that using only hiragana isn't real Japanese, then I agree (with regards to the language as it is now).
1)I know Hiragana is Japanese, and I've never said contradicting idea!!! hiragana is absolutely Japanese! but Kanji are not Japanese!
2) I printed a sheet a couple of days ago in which the origins of hiragana are written clearly, i mean the way they derived from kanji.
3) I've never said i want to write it all in kanji! BTW, japanese was originally written only with kanji before the development of kana so i can use kanji to write old Japanese
4) I will never think of learning Chinese since i hate the simplified chinese characters and I prefer some kanji to the traditional chinese characters (or in other words, i prefer the way japanese ppl simplified kanji into shinjitai to the way chinese ppl did)
5) No one in Japan will tolerate to read japanese with hiragana only!!! it will drive them mad!!! hiragana+no spaces= long and illegible (plus, sometimes you won't be able to get the meaning which kanji originally are meant to convey)

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
inputking.com
Thank you very much. So now I'll use this instead. So since I've learned the Ya/ect function, are these sentences correct?

私は昨日日本のビールやお酒を飲みました。
私は牛肉やとり肉を食べます。
私はフランスやドイツに行きました。

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
This has no relation to the Japanese script since it is not of our choice. I mean, we should follow the rules when writing it so It has nothing to do with my opinion, neither with yours.
BTW, if you were really skilled, you wouldn't state that so officially. Skilled people usually hide their skills instead of claiming "I am skillful" while being lacking skills. Also, I admit your Japanese is thousands times better than mine and this is a fact! But bear in mind the way you studied Japanese is totally different from the way i did, and the same for the period. So why don't you make a performance to your skills in front of the other skilled people like you (i mean, instead of showing me your skills)?!!
Oh by the way, I think I'd better apologize to you Kyle for this post, because I am afraid it left a wound in your heart!!! I know you are so soft-centred and I am afraid my words may hurt you!!! (and consequently, you may head for the mods and ask them to ban me:P) So sorry Mr.Kyle
Oh my God, you completely demolished me. I need to go pray for my immortal soul.

Guess what, I am hardy enough such that the ramblings of someone who jumps to conclusions and repeatedly demonstrates he knows very little cannot hurt me.

Consider yourself blocked.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Thank you very much. So now I'll use this instead. So since I've learned the Ya/ect function, are these sentences correct?

私は昨日日本のビールやお酒を飲みました。
私は牛肉やとり肉を食べます。
私はフランスやドイツに行きました。
Only a note, as I know, や is used for an incomplete list of conjuncts, so it means sth like 'etc....' so i don't think that your sentences may be wrong in any case, but their meaning is different from using 'と' for example. I mean, it can be understood that you went to France, Germany and other places.... You ate beef, chicken among other things..... Therefore, no one can consider them wrong, unless you use them in a spefific context improperly, when the meaning is COMPLETE.

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Oh my God, you completely demolished me. I need to go pray for my immortal soul.

Guess what, I am hardy enough such that the ramblings of someone who jumps to conclusions and repeatedly demonstrates he knows very little cannot hurt me.

Consider yourself blocked.
hhh, Kyle.... don't be so serious!!! why do hate me so much, huh? It seems that even if I shared a specific opinion with you, you will definitely stand against me!!!!

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Only a note, as I know, や is used for an incomplete list of conjuncts, so it means sth like 'etc....' so i don't think that your sentences may be wrong in any case, but their meaning is different from using 'と' for example. I mean, it can be understood that you went to France, Germany and other places.... You ate beef, chicken among other things..... Therefore, no one can consider them wrong, unless you use them in a spefific context improperly, when the meaning is COMPLETE.
Thanks. I was looking at these sentences, and I thought so too, and it would make more sense if I used と. Although I was testing out my new knowledge of the や function. I'm glad I nailed it enough, but I understand it would really make more sense in context.

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.