JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

05-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Well, I have to learn something before going. I can't just walk over there and magically learn the language. How would be the best way to learn a lot before going? Would that free stuff at the library be good enough? And what if I go to a school that doesn't offer study abroad for Japan and I can't afford to go to Japan?

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Well, I have to learn something before going. I can't just walk over there and magically learn the language. How would be the best way to learn a lot before going? Would that free stuff at the library be good enough? And what if I go to a school that doesn't offer study abroad for Japan and I can't afford to go to Japan?
Well there is a big difference between knowing "something" and completely mastering the language as you stated before. Be even so, you CAN just walk over there and magically learn the language. When I came on scholarship to Japan I tested into level 3 of 5 levels for the Japanese language course at the university I went to, but there were a couple people, on guy from Mexico and another from Indonesia, who knew pretty much zero Japanese and started at level one, and they improved greatly in one year.. and their classes were mostly taught in Japanese by the way.

For study materials, use whatever is at your disposal. For me I needed a class with tests to get me going, but if you are self motivated enough, I do not think materials make all the much of a difference. I feel that when it comes to language learning a person's own determination will make the biggest difference in their progress.

Last edited by RickOShay : 05-14-2010 at 04:51 AM.