JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lini2k (Offline)
New to JF

Romanization of ぢand づ confusion - 05-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Hello,

I am a little confused about the romanization of ぢand づ. Currently I am using the Genki textbooks to learn Japanese, and it tells me that ぢand づ are pronounced as 'ji' and 'zu' just like じ and ず , but I found many resources that tell me that they are pronounced as 'di' and 'du'
Help please? What is the correct pronunciation of them?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2010, 07:57 PM

じ, ず and ぢ,づ are the same as far as I know. I have never come across ぢ or づ in use though, only じ and ず.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lini2k View Post
Hello,

I am a little confused about the romanization of ぢand づ. Currently I am using the Genki textbooks to learn Japanese, and it tells me that ぢand づ are pronounced as 'ji' and 'zu' just like じ and ず , but I found many resources that tell me that they are pronounced as 'di' and 'du'
Help please? What is the correct pronunciation of them?
In all the parts of Japan that matter to foreigners (gross oversimplification, I know—see link below), じ=ぢ、ず=づ. Here's a Wikipedia article discussing exactly this issue: Yotsugana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kamikari (Offline)
New to JF

05-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
じ, ず and ぢ,づ are the same as far as I know. I have never come across ぢ or づ in use though, only じ and ず.
They are not as widely used, but some common words use those like for example 続(つづ)く continue and 鼻血(はなぢ) nose bleed.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Setting the pronunciation aside, I guess it is worth notice that ぢ and づ must be typed as "di and "du" when typing with IME (some typing program like NJStar also use "dji" and "dzu"), and certain words like 身近 or 続く are fairly common.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2010, 01:36 PM

The reason you will sometimes see them written as du and di is as above- that's what you type to get ぢ and づ to come up on the computer. They are definitely not pronounced with a "d" sound though.

For the same reason you sometimes see "Sinjyuku" for Shinjuku and "Kitijyoji" for Kichijoji- it's an alternative way of romanising Japanese, but it's one that doesn't reflect the pronunciation well in my opinion.

My husband is Japanese, and his family name has a づ in it, but we always have to point that out to people when they write down the name as otherwise they would write ず.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ponkikki (Offline)
New to JF

05-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lini2k View Post
it tells me that ぢand づ are pronounced as 'ji' and 'zu' just like じ and ず , but I found many resources that tell me that they are pronounced as 'di' and 'du'
When you speak, pronunciations of じ & ぢ are exactly same. And the same goes for ず & づ.
A pronunciation of じ & ぢ should be "ji ", and "zu" for ず & づ. ( I said "should be", because I am not confident about how native English speakers pronounce "ji" and "zu") "Di" and "du" are both out of the question.

On the other hand, we use them properly when we write or type.
If we write 鼻血 in hiragana, we always write はな, not はな.
If we write 人民 in hiragana, we always write んみん, never んみん.

Then, for what "di" "du" are ? That has already been said in sarasi's post above.
I would recommend you to use "Kana input method" instead of "Romaji input method"... just joking.

@sarasi
I also come across such a situation once in a while, since I have "ず " in my first name. And have to say “すにてんてん”.

@KyleGoetz
Thank you for the link, the article is so interesting and very informative.
In the sentence above, I have done away with a consideration of dialects or of historical transition on this issue ( I knew almost nothing about those in the first place, though), for OP's simple question.
-----------------------
At last, let me show you a picture which always pops up in our minds, when we see a single hiragana letter " ぢ ".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ヒサヤ大黒堂 ぢ.jpg (46.3 KB, 49 views)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

05-15-2010, 07:44 AM

And they said there was no spelling in Japanese

Also would like to point out that 小包(こづつみ) is a beginners word with づ (or at least it was taught to ME when I was first starting...)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
And they said there was no spelling in Japanese

Also would like to point out that 小包(こづつみ) is a beginners word with づ (or at least it was taught to ME when I was first starting...)
You'll find that almost all づ/ぢ occur as rendaku (the voicing of つ/ぢ) rather than just out of nowhere.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
lini2k (Offline)
New to JF

05-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Well thanks to all of you who replied. I really appreciate it that you helped me clarify the correct pronunciation