JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xajron (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese comparisons. - 05-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Hello!

A while back I found a site, that teaches you japanese. A nice part of the site was a page, that teaches comparisons. I read it through, and I have a few questions. You see, it tought me a grammar rules that I couldn't find anywhere else, so I just want to see if they are correct.
This is the site; http://homepage3.nifty.com/i-yasu/index-e.htm

Now over to my questions.

If you want to make comparisons between two things, can you really say
Hokkaidoo wa Kyuushuu yori ookii desu,
Kyuushuu yori Hokkaidoo no hoo ga ookii desu (I was thought that "no hoo ga" comes before "yori". I know japanese is a very flexible language, but I wanna know for sure)

Here three things are compared

Chikyuu to taiyoo to tsuki to, dore ga ichiban omoi desu ka.

Do you really use "to" after the last thing as well? I have learned from other places that you use "no naka de" after the last thing mentioned. Can I use both?

Do you think it is a good site?

Thank you for your replies!
/Xajron
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajron View Post
A while back I found a site, that teaches you japanese.
Not quite. It's a site that teaches how to teach Japanese.

Quote:
Do you think it is a good site?
The Japanese half is excellent. I'm pleasantly surprised by its quality. A rare find.

The English half, which it says was done by one of the author's students, has the obvious MAJOR flaw in not using Japanese letters. She should have left the example phrases and sentences in the original Japanese while translating all the explanations. Had it not been this flaw, I would have recommended the site to everyone without hesitation.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Even though it's in romaji I'll help you out (for some reason it takes me longer to comprehend Japanese written in romaji, maybe because I'm used to seeing the shape of sentences in Japanese). As a future tip, you'll have a lot better a chance of getting help here if you at least use hiragana. I will be responding with hiragana for you. It also evens out some flaws such as: hoo -> ほう.

Comparisons seem right. It doesn't really matter where より comes as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can use both of these sentences to mean 'Tōkyō is bigger than Ōsaka'.

東京の方が大阪より大きいです。
とうきょう の ほう が おおさか より おおきい です。

大阪より東京の方が大きいです。
おおさか より とうきょう の ほう が おおきい です。

I've only ever seen の中で(の なか で)after lists of three items before, in this kind of fashion.

山田さんと大塚さんと夏川さんの中で、だれが一番背が 高いですか。
やまださん と おおつかさん と なつかわさん の なか で、だれ が いちばん せ が たかい です か。
Out of Yamada, Ōtsuka and Natsukawa who is the tallest?

Hope that helps.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Xajron (Offline)
New to JF

05-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
The Japanese half is excellent. I'm pleasantly surprised by its quality. A rare find.

The English half, which it says was done by one of the author's students, has the obvious MAJOR flaw in not using Japanese letters. She should have left the example phrases and sentences in the original Japanese while translating all the explanations. Had it not been this flaw, I would have recommended the site to everyone without hesitation.
So, is it's lesson about comparisons correct?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/i-yasu/index-e.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Even though it's in romaji I'll help you out (for some reason it takes me longer to comprehend Japanese written in romaji, maybe because I'm used to seeing the shape of sentences in Japanese). As a future tip, you'll have a lot better a chance of getting help here if you at least use hiragana. I will be responding with hiragana for you. It also evens out some flaws such as: hoo -> ほう.

Comparisons seem right. It doesn't really matter where より comes as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can use both of these sentences to mean 'Tōkyō is bigger than Ōsaka'.

東京の方が大阪より大きいです。
とうきょう の ほう が おおさか より おおきい です。

大阪より東京の方が大きいです。
おおさか より とうきょう の ほう が おおきい です。

I've only ever seen の中で(の なか で)after lists of three items before, in this kind of fashion.

山田さんと大塚さんと夏川さんの中で、だれが一番背が 高いですか。
やまださん と おおつかさん と なつかわさん の なか で、だれ が いちばん せ が たかい です か。
Out of Yamada, Ōtsuka and Natsukawa who is the tallest?

Hope that helps.
Ok, I'll remember the hiragana part.

Thank you for your replies!
I really appreciate your help!