JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gizorz (Offline)
New to JF

Needing some help on grammar - 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM

So, we have learned a new grammatical structure in Japanese class a while ago, but I never really understood it and my teacher failed to properly explain it to me.

My textbook (Minna no Nihongo II) states it like this:

て-form みます

もう一度考えてみます。
I'll think it over again.

宇宙から地球を見てみたいです。
I want to see the earth from space (to know how it looks).

このズボンをはいてみてもいいですか。
May I try on this pair of trousers?

The sentences all seem very different to me. Someone explained it to me as "trying something" or "seeing how something is", but that doesn't go for the first sentance right?
I would be really happy if someone could help me on this.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizorz View Post
So, we have learned a new grammatical structure in Japanese class a while ago, but I never really understood it and my teacher failed to properly explain it to me.

て-form みます

もう一度考えてみます。

宇宙から地球を見てみたいです。

このズボンをはいてみてもいいですか。

The sentences all seem very different to me. Someone explained it to me as "trying something" or "seeing how something is", but that doesn't go for the first sentance right?
That person was correct. The first sentence is literally "I will try [to see how it is] thinking about it again."

たべてみます。I will try out [that food].
ビールを飲んでみました。 I tried beer [to see what it tastes like].
etc.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-19-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizorz View Post

て-form みます

もう一度考えてみます。

宇宙から地球を見てみたいです。

このズボンをはいてみてもいいですか。

The sentences all seem very different to me. Someone explained it to me as "trying something" or "seeing how something is", but that doesn't go for the first sentance right? Wrong!
This is a good question, one that many learners will tell you they know all about but aren't able to use correctly in actual speaking/writing.

The form "Verb + みる" describes two different actions, not just one. This is the bottom line and this is exactly what too many "teachers" fail to explain or even understand for that matter.

あのアイスクリームを食べたい。
あのアイスクリームを食べてみたい。

To us native speakers, these two sentences mean VERY different things from each other. (And they should to you, too, after today.)

あのアイスクリームを食べたい。
I want to eat that icecream. (It's my favorite flavor in this shop. I love the funky taste and the crazy colors. Can you believe none of my friends like it?)

あのアイスクリームを食べてみたい。
I want to eat that icecream and find out what it tastes like. (I noticed they had this new flavor a few weeks ago but just never had a chance to try it.)

Do you see what I meant by one action vs. two actions?
_________

You stated that someone's explanation didn't apply to the first of your example sentences. It actually does.

もう一度考えてみます。
Depending on the context, it can mean:
1. I will think about it again and see what happens. or
2. I will think about it again and as a result, I might change my mind.
In either case, the sentence is describing two separate actions.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I want to add that in a business situation, "もう一度考えてみます" can actually mean a rejection. Japanese people seldom say "no" directly. They use this kind of positive sentences to reject offers politely.

I think the real meaning between the lines is much more important than the meaning on the surface.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaeyellow View Post
I want to add that in a business situation, "もう一度考えてみます" can actually mean a rejection. Japanese people seldom say "no" directly. They use this kind of positive sentences to reject offers politely.

I think the real meaning between the lines is much more important than the meaning on the surface.
What you're saying is true, but I doubt that the OP is at that advanced stage in his/her Japanese studies.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
What you're saying is true, but I doubt that the OP is at that advanced stage in his/her Japanese studies.
You are right.

But I think it is very wrong to teach westerners that はい=yes and いいえ=no at the very early stage of study without explaining in details. Teachers should at least inform students that はい is also a frequently used 相槌 that shows the speaker that you are listening but does not imply any agreement. And if students do not know that "I'll think about it" in Japanese is a rejection, they will get embarassed one day.

Many non-Japanese people misunderstand the Japanese and call them dishonest because they think that their 相槌 はい and polite rejection mean an agreement. Actually, some of my friends dislike Japanese people for this stupid reason. I will try my best to educate them.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

As far as I know the word 'yes' is also used to show you're listening in English as well.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
As far as I know the word 'yes' is also used to show you're listening in English as well.
You are right. So it is not a new concept after all. I just don't understand why teachers don't teach us how to read between the lines.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaeyellow View Post
You are right. So it is not a new concept after all. I just don't understand why teachers don't teach us how to read between the lines.
If your teacher didn't teach you this the day you learned はい, you have a terrible teacher.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Not nearly to the same degree. はい interrupts speech, and without something like that, the speaker might assume you're not listening.

In English, interrupting with "yes" is rude.