JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mikem678 (Offline)
New to JF

Trying to Learn Japanese but having some trouble.. - 06-20-2010, 01:18 AM

So ive decided that I want to learn how to read japanese I can already understand Katakana and Hiragana. I want to learn how to read katakana or hiragana and understand what it is saying in english because i want to play games when they come out in japan before they come out in canada and be able to understand what they are saying but im having some problems for example ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト becomes: poketsutomonta - ofuishiarusaito the thing that i dont understand is how do you change that into english do you just guess that it says pokemon offical site? im so confused on that part... please help someone.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

06-20-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem678 View Post
So ive decided that I want to learn how to read japanese I can already understand Katakana and Hiragana. I want to learn how to read katakana or hiragana and understand what it is saying in english because i want to play games when they come out in japan before they come out in canada and be able to understand what they are saying but im having some problems for example ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト becomes: poketsutomonta - ofuishiarusaito the thing that i dont understand is how do you change that into english do you just guess that it says pokemon offical site? im so confused on that part... please help someone.
No you don't guess, just by sounding the katakana & Hiragana tells you the word. Usually if the Katakana is an English word you can tell because is sounds exactly as the English word. Remember Japanese put English words the way they would pronounce it in Japanese If you know how to read Katakana and Hiragana well, you won't have problems reading it.

For instance McDonalds becomes Makudonarudo.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-20-2010, 05:03 AM

So Pocket Monster Official Site.

OK, the tsu you see in poketsu, means a blank sound or poke-to, delete the o from "to" to get a lone t. Pocket

Mon-
Su here is the same deal as to, you just need the s ta is the equivilance of ter in English
Mon-s-ter, Monster

The small ィ makes the fu turn into fi same with the small ャ after shi, turning from shi to just shya wich is like saying official with the a making a different sound.

O-fi-shya-ru(take the u off)

Saito-

A and i put together like that makes a long i sound like in "tie" or "pie" -Gasp-
Again take the o out here

Pocket Monster Official Site!

I hope this helps . . .Katakana is sometimes tricky, but fun to understand!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.