JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mikem678 (Offline)
New to JF

Im still having some trouble with Katakana and Hiragana - 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Im trying to learn how to read japanese both katakana and hiragana im having alot of trouble though like for an example this picture I would like to read:

using these 2 charts to read it:

This for Katakana

And this one for Hiragana

I cant seem to get anything some of the letters i cant find because they dont look exactly like in the chart and when I do find some its something i cant understand like setsuiarigu something like that..

Can anyone help me be able to read that and understand it in english?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

06-20-2010, 08:58 PM

That picture is so poor quality that it's impossible to make out the name in the upper-left corner.. but.. I don't think you should be spending time reading Pokémon names, or rather, I don't think you'll gain very much by it.

As closely as I can make out, the upper-left says Giratina (first kana is completely blurred, but I was "saved" by the textbox at the bottom) and the "friendly" Pokémon is called Goukazaru. I can't tell if that little.. "blip" in the first kana is a dakuten or if it's just how they're drawing that kana. If it's not a dakuten, then of course it becomes Ko instead of Go. And maybe Sa instead of Za.

If you could grab a screenshot with better quality, I think that would help a lot. These Pokémon are too "new" for me, so I don't recognize them off-hand either..
(#3 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2010, 09:33 PM

The last sentence:

やせいの ギラティナの
げんしのちから!

Yasei no girathina no
genshi no chikara! (I was not very sure about 'ke' or 'ge' but I searched for it on a list of attacks )

Sometimes you just need to know words, 'chikara' means 'power', 'girathina' is the name of the pokemon written in katakana, 'no' is the possesion particle. (I'm not very good at Japanese so I'll search for the other words)

Ok, so 'genshi no chikara' is 'ancient power' (lol from this site List of moves in other languages - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia)

'Yasei' = Wild And with 'no' it's connected to 'Girathina'

So in this case it's literally:
'Wild Girathina's Ancientpower!

And so it's 'Wild Girathina used Ancientpower' (in the English version)

I recommend practicing with this site:
Learn the Japanese Language Online - japanese-lesson.com

It helps you with reading syllables, how to recognise them and see the difference between them

But I'm not the pro here, so someone else will give you a better answer probably

It's getting late here so I'm off

ps: I hope this was all right O_o. If not, correct me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-20-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhol View Post
That picture is so poor quality that it's impossible to make out the name in the upper-left corner.. but.. I don't think you should be spending time reading Pokémon names, or rather, I don't think you'll gain very much by it.
It's Giratina.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2010, 12:19 AM

It seems to me you are jumping in way ahead of yourself. I learned A LOT of Kanji and vocab from video games, but I had a decent base by the time I started trying to play games in Japanese. Basically I am saying you are going about this the hard way. You need to work you way up, and it just wastes energy if you try to tackle things that are way beyond your ability.

I suggest you first take those charts, and write each character 50 times, and say the pronunciation as you do it. You have a ways to go before you are ready to try to use the language in the capacity you are trying to. But I do wish you luck.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhol View Post
That picture is so poor quality that it's impossible to make out the name in the upper-left corner
It's actually fairly easy to read, especially considering it's written a second time on the screen elsewhere.