JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   teach me kanji (very complicated) (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/32586-teach-me-kanji-%28very-complicated%29.html)

talycap 07-01-2010 06:15 AM

teach me kanji (very complicated)

i just wanna ask some thing how do you use kanji in name of a person????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

StueyT 07-01-2010 08:19 AM

Well, if it's a foreign name then there is no direct translation. For example, my name is Stuart and so that is written in katakana like スチュアート. It cannot be written in Kanji with that same sound unless you throw alot of random kanji together that mean nothing. The whole point of kanji is to provide the meaning, not the sound.

You could call yourself by the meaning of you name, for example, my name loosely comes from 'Steward' and so I could theoretically call myself 家令, where the sound is かれい but...that's not my name :rolleyes:

talycap 07-04-2010 06:05 AM

huhuhuhu that's sound very difficult huhuhuhuhu

delacroix01 07-04-2010 11:43 AM

If you want to talk about Kanji in Japanese names, I think you should have a look at wiki.
Japanese name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding names of non-Japanese people, usually Katakana is used, and this works pretty well with Western names. However, even Katakana doesn't seem to work well with Korean names. When I watch anime, I usually see a lot of Korean names on the credits written in romaji, not Katakana. This goes to Vietnamese names too. I don't know about Phillippine, but I'm sure there are only very few Vietnamese names that can be written properly in Katakana :rolleyes: Some friends of mine who don't know Japanese, insist to translate their names into Chinese, and then from Chinese into Japanese, but I think that's just stupid. It may be okay to translate our name into Chinese because 80% of our vocabulary is from Chinese, but Japanese name is a COMPLETELY different system. Remember this : Never try to put a foreign name into Kanji. I think it's okay to use romanized names when you can't transcribe it into Katakana. See you :ywave:

KyleGoetz 07-05-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talycap (Post 818413)
huhuhuhu that's sound very difficult huhuhuhuhu

Just for future reference, people do not laugh "hu" in English. They laugh "ha" or, "hee" or "ho" (though this one is rare and sounds crazy).

talycap 07-08-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delacroix01 (Post 818431)
If you want to talk about Kanji in Japanese names, I think you should have a look at wiki.
Japanese name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding names of non-Japanese people, usually Katakana is used, and this works pretty well with Western names. However, even Katakana doesn't seem to work well with Korean names. When I watch anime, I usually see a lot of Korean names on the credits written in romaji, not Katakana. This goes to Vietnamese names too. I don't know about Phillippine, but I'm sure there are only very few Vietnamese names that can be written properly in Katakana :rolleyes: Some friends of mine who don't know Japanese, insist to translate their names into Chinese, and then from Chinese into Japanese, but I think that's just stupid. It may be okay to translate our name into Chinese because 80% of our vocabulary is from Chinese, but Japanese name is a COMPLETELY different system. Remember this : Never try to put a foreign name into Kanji. I think it's okay to use romanized names when you can't transcribe it into Katakana. See you :ywave:

hehehe don't worry i won't use my name in kanji i just want to know how they kanji there name i'm confuse beacuse they can use hiragana to spell there name but why kanji

talycap 07-08-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 818558)
Just for future reference, people do not laugh "hu" in English. They laugh "ha" or, "hee" or "ho" (though this one is rare and sounds crazy).

the reason i use "huhuhu" because i'm crying it's like "buhuhuhu" but i remove "bu" thatts how i expres my self when i'm sad to a reply :) :)

StueyT 07-08-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talycap (Post 818941)
hehehe don't worry i won't use my name in kanji i just want to know how they kanji there name i'm confuse beacuse they can use hiragana to spell there name but why kanji

If you are referring to Japanese people, thats because originally their names are usually written in Kanji. Most Japanese names are chosen for the meaning as far as I can see, and so they choose the kanji for the desired meaning. All kanji translates to hiragana and thus the sound of it's hiragana becomes the name of that person.

KyleGoetz 07-08-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talycap (Post 818944)
the reason i use "huhuhu" because i'm crying it's like "buhuhuhu" but i remove "bu" thatts how i expres my self when i'm sad to a reply :) :)

OK, then for future reference, no one will realize that. ;)

talycap 07-08-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StueyT (Post 818950)
If you are referring to Japanese people, thats because originally their names are usually written in Kanji. Most Japanese names are chosen for the meaning as far as I can see, and so they choose the kanji for the desired meaning. All kanji translates to hiragana and thus the sound of it's hiragana becomes the name of that person.

so its means to say that if i'm gonna have a child(only example) who is a japanese i'm gonna name a baby that has meaning so i can put it in kanji(hope this is right)