LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espair View Post
I always forget the small tsu >,<. In 今はあの方の結婚式でしょう。i've never used あの方の before, what does it mean?
あの方(かた) is a polite way of saying "that person."
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Espair (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Oh, so its pronounced がた I looked it up and it said 'honorific pluralizing suffix' So it would be refering to both of the people getting married instead of just the one person?

[edit] whoops.

Umm, one last question (I have so many!), is there a 'best' generic kanji to use for あなた? the dictionary gives me a few different ones ie. 貴方, 貴女, 貴男, judging by the last character the first would probably be the most generic?

edit - ohh あのた is singular.

That makes sense how calling someone 'you' rather than their name can be rude, all this is assuming that the person being talked about is not present.

Last edited by Espair : 07-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, so its pronounced がた I looked it up and it said 'honorific pluralizing suffix' So it would be refering to both of the people getting married instead of just the one person?
I ~think~ so, if it's あなた方. But if it's just two or three people, sometimes you add on 3人、二人 just to clarify. I'm not 100% certain on the usage of 方 in this instance.

Quote:
Umm, one last question (I have so many!), is there a 'best' generic kanji to use for あなた? the dictionary gives me a few different ones ie. 貴方, 貴女, 貴男, judging by the last character the first would probably be the most generic?
貴方 is the most common kanji combination, i think, but it's much more common to see it in hiragana, (with any 方 in kanji).

Quote:
That makes sense how calling someone 'you' rather than their name can be rude, all this is assuming that the person being talked about is not present.
or at least not immediately present. I could point to a lady across the room and ask of my friend something like 「あの方は誰ですか」.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-19-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
No. か、か、か、かた. Not がた.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Also, two more things:
1. Don't use a kanji for あなた
2. Don't use あなた. You're almost guaranteed at this point in your learning not to be in a situation where it's normal, let alone normal to use あなた方.

What are you trying to say right now that you think requires あなた?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-19-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
方 is a polite (or at least, less direct) substitute for 人 when you're talking about people you either don't know, or don't know very well. You can add it onto the end of あなた to make the 'you' less direct as well.

From what I understand of being rude in Japanese (and how to avoid!) it seems to come of being either too direct, like saying あんた (あなた) instead of someone's name, or being inappropriately polite. Which is why words like おまえ are often used as swears or rude words, but there are actually ways you can use them that are quite polite and technically have an origin in polite language.
So THAT'S what's so wrong about あなた! OK, I'm not sure what you mean by "direct" though . . .Is it just more respectful to say something like

としろさんはなんさいですか instead of using あなた?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
So THAT'S what's so wrong about あなた! OK, I'm not sure what you mean by "direct" though . . .Is it just more respectful to say something like

Yes, it is immeasurably better to use a person's name.

And あなた sounds too familiar/direct/close/whatever.

It's like how you wouldn't say "Hey, you" to the President of the USA.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Espair (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Also, two more things:
1. Don't use a kanji for あなた
2. Don't use あなた. You're almost guaranteed at this point in your learning not to be in a situation where it's normal, let alone normal to use あなた方.

What are you trying to say right now that you think requires あなた?
Well, in all my Japanese books, they are mostly based on formal spoken Japanese, I think its important to learn the less formal/casual half as well. I didnt know that あなた was so casual, on the verge of being rude like saying "おまえ”?

As for not using the kanji for it, is that because its just not a word normally spelled in kanji in Japan? My kanji is very weak and I learned that the best way to learn it is by using it, so I try to every opportunity I get.

It would seem rather strange to use あなた with 方, since one is polite and the other informal. Maybe if you dont know someones name you would use it to ask? あなた方は名前ですか?

edit- oh Columbine had my question answered. Ty guys you're all really helpful

Last edited by Espair : 07-20-2010 at 12:06 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-20-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Well, in all my Japanese books, they are mostly based on formal spoken Japanese, I think its important to learn the less formal/casual half as well. I didnt know that あなた was so casual, on the verge of being rude like saying "おまえ”?

As for not using the kanji for it, is that because its just not a word normally spelled in kanji in Japan? My kanji is very weak and I learned that the best way to learn it is by using it, so I try to every opportunity I get.

It would seem rather strange to use あなた with 方, since one is polite and the other informal. Maybe if you dont know someones name you would use it to ask? あなた方は名前ですか?

edit- oh Columbine had my question answered. Ty guys you're all really helpful
Here are a number of usages of あなた方: “あなた方”の検索結果(43 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク

And if you don't know someone's name, you would just say お名前はなんですか。 You rarely ever use a first- or second-person pronoun in Japanese.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post

Compare; "Hey, you dropped this." with "Excuse me, but I think you may have dropped something,"

One is direct; it's assertive and fingers a person explicitly as the cause of an action. "You dropped". The other is passive, indirect and gives lea-way for excuse. "I think you may have". And it's automatically more polite.

Or; "I hate Mr. Yamada." with "I wouldn't really say Mr. Yamada is my favourite person." The second one skirts the issue.

With friends and family, it's ok to be that direct, but you wouldn't really say stuff like that to your boss, or people you don't know, right? It's the same in Japanese.

And as everyone's already said, always use a name if you can.