JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   My name in Japanese? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/34000-my-name-japanese.html)

JustinRossTso 09-24-2010 10:43 PM

My (Chinese) name in Japanese?

I'm not sure if this is the right section... or if anyone could help me.

My Chinese name is 曹以峰. Does anyone know how to make it a Japanese name? or is it just like that?

How would you pronounce it?

Thanks in advance! ;D!

Sashimister 09-25-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 830387)
I'm not sure if this is the right section... or if anyone could help me.

My Chinese name is 曹以峰. Does anyone know how to make it a Japanese name? or is it just like that?

How would you pronounce it?

It will stay the same in its written form.

It will be read ソウ・イホウ. If you prefer a reading that's closer to its original pronunciation, you will have to tell people. However, that will have to be within the bounfaries of the Japanese sound system for obvious reasons.

JustinRossTso 09-25-2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 830390)
It will stay the same in its written form.

It will be read ソウ・イホウ. If you prefer a reading that's closer to its original pronunciation, you will have to tell people. However, that will have to be within the bounfaries of the Japanese sound system for obvious reasons.

Oh! Thank you! ;D My Katakana sorta sucks right now though... but I'll figure it out soon enough. Thanks again. Meh, I don't really care if they pronounce it the original way. (I don't actually speak Mandarin... I speak Cantonese so it's really no point because Cantonese is a dialect.)

Sashimister 09-25-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 830414)
Oh! Thank you! ;D My Katakana sorta sucks right now though... but I'll figure it out soon enough. Thanks again. Meh, I don't really care if they pronounce it the original way. (I don't actually speak Mandarin... I speak Cantonese so it's really no point because Cantonese is a dialect.)

OK. If you are familiar with hiragana, it's そう いほう.

JustinRossTso 09-25-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 830415)
OK. If you are familiar with hiragana, it's そう いほう.

Hehe, Just figured it out... it should be read so u . i ho u? I'm pretty bad at Japanese ATM. Thanks for the help though! I really helps!

Sashimister 09-25-2010 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 830417)
Hehe, Just figured it out... it should be read so u . i ho u? I'm pretty bad at Japanese ATM. Thanks for the help though! I really helps!

Alright. I don't mean to confuse you but although it's written そう いほう, it's pronounced そー いほー. The そ and ほ are both elongated. In other words, you don't make the "Oh" sound in those places. There is no おう sound combo in Japanese; It's always read as an elongated おー.

Likewise, ありがとう is pronounced ありがとー and さようなら, さよーなら.

If this sounds too confusing, just disregard it for now. You will learn these things soon anyway in the course of your Japanese studies.

JustinRossTso 09-25-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 830418)
Alright. I don't mean to confuse you but although it's written そう いほう, it's pronounced そー いほー. The そ and ほ are both elongated. In other words, you don't make the "Oh" sound in those places. There is no おう sound combo in Japanese; It's always read as an elongated おー.

Likewise, ありがとう is pronounced ありがとー and さようなら, さよーなら.

If this sounds too confusing, just disregard it for now. You will learn these things soon anyway in the course of your Japanese studies.

I get the gist of what you just said... but I don't know enough Japanese to make use of it yet. I know Japanese doesn't have certain sounds or sound combos so I guess these are one of them?

Thank you! I hope to understand this more in the future.

KyleGoetz 09-25-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 830420)
I get the gist of what you just said... but I don't know enough Japanese to make use of it yet. I know Japanese doesn't have certain sounds or sound combos so I guess these are one of them?

Thank you! I hope to understand this more in the future.

If you just started learning Japanese, you'll learn what Sashimister is talking about within two days. It's literally one of the very first things you learn. My first day of Japanese class we went over very simple stock phrases (hello, goodbye).

On day two, we learned hiragana for the vowels. We also learned about what SM said.

So, yeah, it really is one of the first things you learn.

JustinRossTso 09-25-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 830450)
If you just started learning Japanese, you'll learn what Sashimister is talking about within two days. It's literally one of the very first things you learn. My first day of Japanese class we went over very simple stock phrases (hello, goodbye).

On day two, we learned hiragana for the vowels. We also learned about what SM said.

So, yeah, it really is one of the first things you learn.

Oh! Yeah, my friend started learning it... but they said it was hard because of the Hiragana and Katakana... hehe... basically been learning words online... but no grammar or Hiragana or Katakana yet :S.

KyleGoetz 09-25-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 830460)
Oh! Yeah, my friend started learning it... but they said it was hard because of the Hiragana and Katakana... hehe... basically been learning words online... but no grammar or Hiragana or Katakana yet :S.

Learning hiragana is more important than learning anything else about Japanese except maybe for phrases like "hello" and "goodbye."