LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosityshop View Post
Another point: I was having a bit of trouble using wa and ga in sentences. Almost every textbook or online learning page says you should roughly translate 'watashi wa' as 'as for me...', but that never really stuck for me.
[wa] and [ga] I believe are called subject particles. They don't have true equivalence in English.

[wa] = A _____ is [Ga] = The _____ is ( blank space for subject)

[Tori] =bird [naku] = sings [Watashi] = I [Kurasu] =class [ ikimasu ]= will go [yarimasu] =will do

[Tori][wa] [naku]. "A bird sings."

[Tori][ga] [naku]. "The bird sings."

[Watashi][wa] [ikimasu]. "I am going." implying other might go too.

[Watashi][ga] [ikimasu]. " I will be the one to go" implies only he goes

[Watashi][wa] [yarimasu] " I will do it" implies others might do also.

[Watashi][ga] [yarimasu] "I will be the one to do it" implies only he does.

[Kurasu][wa] [ikimasu]. "The class is going" Other classes might also go.

[Kurasu][ga] [ikimasu] "The class will be the one to go" only this class is going.

(#32 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
[wa] and [ga] I believe are called subject particles. They don't have true equivalence in English.

[wa] = A _____ is [Ga] = The _____ is ( blank space for subject)

[Tori] =bird [naku] = sings [Watashi] = I [Kurasu] =class [ ikimasu ]= will go [yarimasu] =will do

[Tori][wa] [naku]. "A bird sings."

[Tori][ga] [naku]. "The bird sings."
Not true, period. TBH I have trouble with so many things you have been stating regarding Japanese grammar.

We say 鳥が鳴く all the time without knowing which particular bird it is that is singing.

Quote:
[Kurasu][wa] [ikimasu]. "The class is going" Other classes might also go.

[Kurasu][ga] [ikimasu] "The class will be the one to go" only this class is going.
Give us a break. I can't think of any situation where a native speaker might say either of those. We do say クラスで行く but not with は or が.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2010, 06:39 AM

So I'm checking out my grammar book and here's what it says for が

1) 述語(動詞など)との論理的な関係を表す格助詞である 。 
2) 主語を表す。
  発見 (気づいたこと)を するときに用いられることが多い 。
  ex) あ、バスが来た。/お金がない
3) 主語の選択を表す。
  ex) 山田さんx
     あなた x    => が行きます。
     私   OK
4)疑問詞が主語のときは「が」をとる。
  ex) どれがいいですか。/だれが発表しますか。
5) 小さくかかる。従属節の中の主語は通常「が」をと� ��。
  ex)これは私が買ったバッグです。
  ex)私が住んでいるアパートは日当たりがいい。
  ex)あなたが行くなら、私も行きます。

1) It's a particle that shows the relation of predicates (verbs, etc).
2) It reveals the topic when you notice something--
ex) ah, the bus came!/I don't have any money
3) It reveals kind of an exclusive relationship. (This is what chiuchimu explained)
I'm going. (not Mr. Yamada, not you, not your grandma, but ME)
4) With question-words, it reveals the topic. (like dore, dare, doko, etc.)
5) It deals with sub-clauses. (this is what I explained in my previous post)
ex) That's the bag (I bought)

So to be more specific, here are the basic uses of が (where it might be confused with は for an English speaker).
(#34 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2010, 06:51 AM

"We say 鳥が鳴く all the time without knowing which particular bird it is that is singing."
This example would reside in #2 on the list in the grammar book I took a look at. It's like something that you've noticed and you want to exclaim it (which is something done in Japanese more often than English by the way).

It's interesting because it does kind of contradict the idea of "主語の選択を表す"こと. Again though, it's kind of an unrealistic example to say "it is the bird that's singing" (as opposed to a bell, whistle, other animal, etc.), so I agree with Sashimister 100% on this.

By the way, chiuchimu, are you Japanese-American? I know that some words are used differently by Japanese Americans, so maybe that explains the クラスは/が example. I know there are a lot of Japanese American specific phrases/words that Native Japanese wouldn't use. (like 試験をとる instead of 受ける and the like).
(#35 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Not true, period. TBH I have trouble with so many things you have been stating regarding Japanese grammar.

We say 鳥が鳴く all the time without knowing which particular bird it is that is singing.
True my grammar is a bit bad BUT there is a difference between
鳥が鳴く and 鳥は鳴く
If someone asks "Who's bird is crying?"(Naiteiru toriwa darenoda?)
The answer would be: "My bird is singing"(watashino toriga naitemasu)
The answer would not be watashino toriwa naitemasu.

so it does correspond to an extent with "The" bird rather than A bird. However, It is true one can use "toriga naku" without knowing which bird but that's a particular case of Japanese. The two languages are very different and I'm trying to explain 'wa' and 'ga' to someone.
I noticed you skipped right over:
[Watashi][wa] [ikimasu]. "I am going." implying other might go too.
[Watashi][ga] [ikimasu]. " I will be the one to go" implies only he goes
Is it your nature to look only to criticizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Not true, period.
Give us a break. I can't think of any situation where a native speaker might say either of those. We do say クラスで行く but not with は or が.
True this is OK クラスで行く = As a class [we] go
However, if the speaker is not going or we are not focused on an individual then クラスで行く would be awkward because,unless otherwise explained, it implies the speaker(by default) or someone as part of the class.
kurase[de] means [As] a class or [with] the class or [by way of] a class, hence there is an implied person: we,he. I etc...

Furthermore
クラスが行く and クラスは行く are used too.
B-CLASSga itte kachimasu.
UCLAno Japanese Culture classwa nihonni ikimasu.

You said the same thing about the word "setsunai". I asked around to make sure its not just me. setsunai can be used for shallow to deep feelings of despair-helplessness as long as its romance related. I even looked it up on the internet.

So, can you supply an English link to the word 'setsunai' and show me it's used for shallow levels of Romance only and not for tragedies when people don't marry? In case you forgot, this was your comment:
What does 'setsunai' mean to you?

Last edited by chiuchimu : 10-15-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: remembered a point I wanted to make
(#36 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
True my grammar is a bit bad BUT there is a difference between
鳥が鳴く and 鳥は鳴く
If someone asks "Who's bird is crying?"(Naiteiru toriwa darenoda?)
The answer would be: "My bird is singing"(watashino toriga naitemasu)
The answer would not be watashino toriwa naitemasu.
Yeah, but that is absolutely not what you said. You basically made a categorical statement that が always indicates a specific bird. Of course the answer in this case doesn't use は! は is a topic particle (not a subject particle), so it would be unnecessary to use it to mark "bird" as the topic when the previous question already marked it as the topic. This just sounds weird:
Quote:
A: Whose bird is singing?
B: As for my bird, it is singing. (if you use は, the topic particle)
B: My bird is singing. (if you use が, the subject particle)
This is precisely my gripe with people giving advice they're unqualified to give. I have been studying Japanese for about a decade, and you said those extremely categorical things with such authority and confidence (and considering your English grammar suggests you're not a native speaker of English), I thought you were a native Japanese giving some instruction on something I had miraculously never heard in a decade.

All night long last night I felt so incredibly frustrated with myself and my apparent lack of progress in Japanese to the point that I still didn't know は from が! I'm relieved after seeing Sashimister's post above that this is not the case, and that your post was misleading.

I do not need someone trying to teach me crap that just isn't true.

(And I'm waiting to see how this クラス issue is going to end up. I literally never conceived of using クラス as going anywhere before seeing your first post, and that was honestly something that jumped out at me as "odd, I've never seen something like that before.")

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 10-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Well, technically it would be "Him love I" because "him"is a direct object, while "he" is a subject.
Oops, yes that's what I meant!
(#38 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Oops, yes that's what I meant!
I know. I'm just being a Turd Ferguson.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I know. I'm just being a Turd Ferguson.
Perfectly allowed considering the frequency with which I correct your typos! Hoisted on my own petard~
(#40 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that is absolutely not what you said. You basically made a categorical statement that が always indicates a specific bird. Of course the answer in this case doesn't use は! は is a topic particle (not a subject particle),\
Take it in context. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to curiosityshop. He was having trouble using 'ga' and 'wa' so I wrote up some examples for him. They were meant to help him get a better feel for them. I was writing to give the overall usage, not to cover the odd exceptions. This was not meant to be text book concise definitions.

when did I declare "categorically" that 'ga' means this and only this?
In fact, in the very first sentence I said there are no true english equvalince! Can't you read!

Even the examples I gave shows 'ga' functioning in two ways like Steven said. 1) operating like 'the' 2) showing exclusion 'I will be the one'
Think about it. Isn't it illogical for me to categorically declare 'ga' to mean only one thing when give examples of 'ga' functioning in two ways.

Read more carefully and don't jump to conclusions.