JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
Retaining Knowledge - 12-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Was just wondering if anyone is similiar to me in the sense that when I begin learning something in japanese I almost fear moving onto something else incase I don't retain the knowledge and I end up going over the same exercises over and over again because of this. I know that when I finish the current book I'm on (Genki) I will ofcourse go over it again and make sure I've learnt everything I can from it, was just wondering if anyone uses an particular methods to help them retain knowledge. I know alot of people use flashcards and I have downloaded anki and plan on using it soon once I get the patience to sit down and make my own flashcards for it (yes I know you can download your own but would rather make sure the right information is there incase I download someone elses mistake).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2010, 05:16 PM

We all have our weaknesses. If we keep on working just on the same thing we will never improve. I keep forgetting things like "you don't need to..." or "you must not...", but I just go on. When I read them I recognize them and when I need to write them, I try to write and then go check on my books.

Don't be afraid of advancing, just don't do giant leaps.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#3 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-08-2010, 05:17 PM

new words i learn only by using anki. before test i run through some 10 times and it's done.
there isn't a need to worry so much as long as you are using the language. be careful that with all the repetitions you don't burn out and then end up feeling hate for the language or unable to achieve new levels.