JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

受ける / 取る - 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Hi, I would like to know if 受ける and 取る are interchangeable when use as "Take"?

For example:

一か月の休暇を取る
To take a month vacation.
(一か月の休憩を受ける)

すべての責任を取る
To take all the blame.
(すべての責任を受ける)

ケーキの最後の一切れを取る
To take the last slice of cake.
(ケーキの最後の一切れを受ける)

インターネットに試験を受ける
To take an exam on the internet.
(インターネットに試験を取る)

日本語の授業を受ける
To take up Japanese language lessons
(日本語の授業を取る)

お金のために仕事を受ける
To take up a job for the sake of money.
(お金のために仕事を取る)

ペナルテイを受ける
To take a penalty.
(ペナルテイを取る)

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-07-2011, 12:35 PM

For the sense of taking something, 取る is just plain "take," while 受ける is "receive" and explicitly includes or implies that someone else was the "bestower." For example, 政府から弾圧を受ける is "be suppressed by the government," or, more literally, "receive suppression from the government."

Of course, 受ける has about a billion other meanings in addition to this one.

One of the only examples of 受ける literally meaning "to take" is when you "take a test." What's weird is テストを受ける is "to take a test," but paired with the intransitive equivalent 受かる, テストに受かる means "to pass a test."

In the case of a test, I think you can 取る it as well as 受ける. I can't think of any other examples off hand where they both mean "to take" and can be used interchangeably. I just vaguely recall saying 試験を取る my first year of Japanese, and then I learned 受ける and switched to 試験を受ける instead.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 01-07-2011 at 12:46 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-07-2011, 12:43 PM

I'm only commenting on a few of the 取る/受ける question here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
一か月の休暇を取る
To take a month vacation.
(一か月の休憩を受ける)
The second sounds more like someone offered you a vacation, I think.

Quote:
ケーキの最後の一切れを取る
To take the last slice of cake.
(ケーキの最後の一切れを受ける)
The second is like someone held a piece of cake out to you and you received it from him.

Quote:
インターネットに試験を受ける
To take an exam on the internet.
(インターネットに試験を取る)
Where did you get this sample sentence from? I would have said インターネットで instead, and に feels off to me. But I'm assuming you got these from a list of native sentences, so I'm probably wrong.

Quote:
お金のために仕事を受ける
To take up a job for the sake of money.
(お金のために仕事を取る)
I'm not exactly sure, but the first sounds like you're getting a job like we normally mean "to get a job" in English, while the latter is more like you're out networking and pulling in business yourself. Like one involves a boss saying "would you like to work here?" while the latter is you putting a ton of effort into finding potential clients. But I could very well be wrong here.

Quote:
ペナルテイを受ける
To take a penalty.
(ペナルテイを取る)
I don't think the second one is correct. Furthermore, we don't say "take a penalty" in English. At least not in the US. We say "get" or "receive" or "commit." I'm guessing by "take a penalty" you mean when a referee comes up and gives you a yellow card or throws a flag or throws you out of the game. In that case, I think we say "receive a penalty" most often.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Hi KyleGoetz san. For "ペナルテイを受ける", I was referring to taking a spot-kick during a soccer game. For example the referee awarded me a penalty after I was fouled by my opponent and so I am going to take a spot-kick.

I am thinking whether if it can also mean receiving a penalty kick/spot-kick from the referee.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi KyleGoetz san. For "ペナルテイを受ける", I was referring to taking a spot-kick during a soccer game. For example the referee awarded me a penalty after I was fouled by my opponent and so I am going to take a spot-kick.

I am thinking whether if it can also mean receiving a penalty kick/spot-kick from the referee.
It doesn't work that way. According to ALC (where I'm guessing you got the phrase from), ペナルティー[罰]を受ける is "to receive a penalty" as in "to be punished." That's what the 罰(ばつ) means.

Similar, you couldn't say ペナルティキックを受ける because that would be something like "the goalie receives the penalty kick."

If a player from Italy fouled a player from France, and the ref gave France a penalty kick, you would say フランスにペナルティキックを与える (to give/award France a PK).

The only way I know how to say "France received a PK" would be フランスはPKを与えられた, which uses the passive form of 与える. So, literally, it's more something like "France was given/awarded a PK [by the ref]."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-08-2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the explanations, KyleGoetz san.

By the way, since " 受ける" can also be used as "receive". I am wondering if ”受ける” and ”もらう” are interchangeable?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-08-2011, 04:16 PM

No. The only person who can ever もらう is the speaker. Anyone can 受ける. Also, one is an essential part of giving/receiving that shows social status in the speech itself, and the other is not. I would suggest never switching them around, although there's bound to be some time I'm blanking when you can replace 受ける with もらう.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2011, 03:24 AM

Thanks for explaining it to me, KyleGoetz san.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。