JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sarugetchu (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Speech Help? - 01-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Hi there, could anybody help me by reading through and helping me with my Japanese speech?

I've written a speech in Japanese for an exam I have on Wednesday (reeeeally late notice, but I'm doing a dual honours degree and stupidly put all my focus on my other subject. A huge, huge mistake I will never make again). It's on Maid cafes and Hostess bars, which I thought would be an easy enough subject, but I was hoping a native speaker could maybe give it a read through, even just highlighting bits that don't make sense or don't sound right would help me so much, so I can attempt to rewrite them. I know we're allowed to do this, as we were advised to present it to other Japanese speakers before the presentation.

If anybody could spare some time to help me I'll appreciate it so, so much. Any help would be amazing.

「メードカフェ」と「キャバクラ」
現代日本の芸者
皆さん、こんにちは。今日私はメードカフェについてお 話しします。皆様も最近かなり人気になった、メードカ フェをご存知だと思いますが、私はそれについてより詳 しく調べました。
東京では、他の大都市と同じようにおかしいものがとて も多いです。しかし、メードカフェは日本にしかないも のであります。1900年代のイギリスのメード服を着 る美少女が客に小さなスイツやケーキを売る場所です。 メードカフェは「メード喫茶」とも呼ばれて、その言葉 は「メード」と「喫茶店」から作りました。伝統的なイ ギリスのメード服ではなく、普通の家政婦のイメージで もない、その美少女はアニメの「萌え」のキャラクター のようなイメージを表現します。オタク文化で最近人気 になった「萌え」というキラクターは若くて、かわいい 純な女のキャラクターです。オタクにとって、メードキ ッサの店員さんはコスプレをする女性見たいに「萌え」 の感じを伝えてくれます。オタクの男性はその感じが好 きなので、秋葉原でメードキッサがいっぱいあります。 オタク族はメード喫茶で伝統的な家長制度をたいけんで きます。なぜなら、メード喫茶に入る瞬間から、メード の店員さんは大声で客に「お帰りなさいませ、ご主人様 !」や「いらっしゃいませ、お嬢様!」と話しかけます 。私はメード喫茶に行く前に、男性の客がメード喫茶で 男性の手先になる女性がいるため行くと思いました。今 日本ではもちろん女と男は平等ですが、メード喫茶の客 は伝統的な男性上位主義の文化に戻りたいと思いました 。
しかし、私はメードキッサに行ったとき、男性のオタク だけではなく、女の人や子供も来ていました。特に美少 女に興味がなくても、メードキッサはまだ面白いと思わ れるようです。人形見たいゴシックロリのコスプレする 人も同然のメードは伝統的な女らしくてかわいいイメー ジを表現するので見やすいし、すごく丁寧なので話しや すいし、客は楽しむことができるではないでしょうか。 彼女たちはお客を楽しめるために、人形みたいなゴシッ クロリのコスプレをして、また伝統的な女らしい話し方 をしているので、見た目も、丁寧で話しやすい点もお客 に魅力があるのではないかと思います。
この写真はメードキッサの典型的な食べ物です。甘い物 や食べ物は味はともかく見た目はかわいいです。私は初 めてメードキッサに行った時、意外に高いケーキを注文 したら、メードのお姉さんは早く持ってきて、歌を歌い 始めました。私はちょっと驚かせたので、まず静かにお 姉さんをじろじろ見ました。やがてお姉さんは私に歌っ てもらいたいことに気づいて、一緒に歌を歌ってしまい ました。手でハートの形を作りながら、ケーキを狙って 、「おいしくな~れ、おいしくな~れ、萌え、萌え、ぴ ょんんん~!」と歌ったのです。その子供っぽい振る舞 いは誇張することですが、日本人はそのようなかわいい イメージが好きなようだと思います。日本ではお店でも 、テレビでも、携帯でもかわいいものがたくさんありま すから。メードの性的魅力に関して気にしなくても、そ のかわいさ物が女の人を引きつけます。私は2008年 のバーベキュークラブというインタネットサイトによる メードカフェに関するアンケートの結果に基づいて、こ の二つの円グラフを作りました。まず、eメールで人々 に「メード喫茶に行ったことがありますか?」と聞きま した。左側にある男の円グラフと右側にある女の円グラ フを見ると同じような結果がありました。このアンケー トの結果によると、男女とも行ったことがある人が少な くて、「行きたくない」と言った人が「行きたい」と言 った人より多いであります。行ったことある人は441 人で、全体の一割ぐらいだけです。どうして「行きたく ない」と答えた人が過半数でしょうか?このアンケート の結果によると、メード喫茶の需要はあまり多くなさそ うだが、女の人は男の人と同じように興味があるので、 別に男の店員がいなくても、あまり男性優位にならない ようです。
そのアンケートは次に、行ったことがない 人に「どうしてまだ行っていませんか?」と聞きました 。また、その結果をこの二つの円グラフにしました。人 はあまり恥ずかしくないのようです。私は「どうして恥 ずかしくない?おかしい場所ではないでしょうか」と考 えました。
日本で他にもメード喫茶のようなバーがあります。「キ ャバクラ」と呼ばれるバーで男の人はメードのような「 ホステス」という女性と話すことができます。メード喫 茶と違って相手のホステスはいつも客のそばにいるので 、客は入る瞬間から帰るときまでの時間にお金を払わな ければなりません。話しながら、一緒にアルコルを飲ん で、罪のない戯れができます。男の客は好きなホステス を決めることもできます。東京の歌舞伎町でいっぱいあ るので、キャバクラはメード喫茶より潔白のイメージで はありません。それに、男の人だけのためのものなんで す。もちろん同性愛者を考慮していません。メード喫茶 より性差別をするものなので、日本人にとってキャバク ラと比べればメード喫茶のほうはあまりおかしくないの ようだと思います。外人から見るとそのバーはちょっと おかしいものだと思われますが、実は、そんな女性のよ うな仕事は第二次世界大戦の前から日本にありました。 1800年代からお茶屋で芸者はホステスみたいに男の 客と座ったり、飲んだりしてきました。現代日本に、そ の「御茶屋」はとても高くて、少なくて、排他的である ので、キャバクラで日本人はその伝統的な娯楽ができま す。なるほど、芸者はホステスと違って厳しい生活をや らなければならないんですが、「キャバクら」と「メー ド喫茶」は御茶屋の近代文明の同等のものようだと思い ます。メードの女性かホステスは自分の私生活が生ける ので現代的な女性を代表ですが、仕事で男性に従順であ ることが期待されています。それで、そのような店は男 性優位に立つ日本の代表的な例でしょうか?しかし、女 性のためのキャバクラとメード喫茶のようなお店もあり ますよ。「執事喫茶」と「ホストクラブ」で女の人は美 少年と同じような娯楽ができるので、確かにそのお店は 男性優位に立たないだと思います。「執事喫茶」は「メ ード喫茶」ほど多くないですが、現代日本に芸者のよう な娯楽は誰でもできます。メードの女性とホステスと執 事のような男性は現代日本の芸者だと思います。生活は 芸者に比べてそんな厳しくないが、まだその芸人の役を 演じています。
どうもありがとうございました。

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Sarugetchu : 01-17-2011 at 12:47 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-17-2011, 04:41 AM

Do you have to turn it in? Because I noticed a typo early on, but it is pronounced the same. Namely, the humble construction お話しします is not written お話します. The latter is what you typed, but the latter is technically pronounced おはなします. But if you're reading it aloud, I'm 99% sure you'll instinctively say おはなしします instead.

A few notes about oral presentations. What I was taught at university in Japan is that you're going to stick with plain form for all your sentence endings.

Often, you will use にて instead of で for location. 東京にて over 東京で, for example.

Quote:
東京(とうきょう)では、他(ほか)の大(おお)きい町(まち) 同(おな)じようにとってもおかしいものが多(おお)いい です。しかし、メードカフェは日本(にほん)にしかない んであります。1900年のイギリスのメードの服(ふ く)を着(き)る美少女(びしょうじょ)が客(きゃく)に小(ち )さなスイツやケーキを売(う)る場所(ばしょ)です。メ ドカフェは「メード喫茶」も呼ばれて、その言葉(こと )は「メード」と「喫茶店(きっさてん)」から作(つく) てあります。伝統的(でんとうてき)なイギリスのメード の服(ふく)じゃないし、普通(ふつう)の家政婦(かせいふ) のイメージじゃないし、その美少女(びしょうじょ)はア メの「燃(も)え」のキャラクターのようなイメージを 現(ひょうげん)します。
Just a quick attempt at "speechifying" this:
Quote:
東京にては、他の大きい町と同じようにとてもおかしいものが多いはずである。しかし、メードカフェは日本にしかないものもある。1900年のイギリスのメードの服を着る美少女が客 に小さなスイツやケーキを売る場所である。メードカフェは「メード喫茶」も呼ばれ、その言葉は「メード」と「喫茶店」を組み合わせてられた語である。伝統的なイギリスのメードの服ではないし、普通の家政婦のイメージではないし、その美少女はアニメの「燃え」のキャラクター のようなイメージを表現する
Now, I'm sure there are things that could be improved in there, still...made more native. But in the brief second I looked over it, nothing really jumped out at me as YOU WILL GET POINTS DEDUCTED NOW.

A couple of notes:
1. Do not use じゃない in a speech. It sounds low class. It's like the old rule about not using contractions in formal writing in English: don't say "can't," say "cannot." In Japanese, don't use じゃ instead of では in formal speaking. Similarly, 〜ものである, not 〜もんである.
2. In formal speaking, don't use the てform to join phrases; use the...I don't know how to say it...basically use the stem. You can see I did that a few places above. For example, if you say 図書館に行って、勉強しました, in a speech, you would structure this sentence as 図書館に行き、勉強した。

I wonder if anyone will step in and give you any other pointers. I think I caught a grammar error when you said a word is made from two others. In that case, you need to use the passive, not active, voice. Not 作る, but 作られる.

Also, I'm not sure about this one, but why did you use 大きい but use 小さな instead of 小さい or 大きな?

I sort of stopped, too. I don't know if you'll get much more help since this is long and you admitted it was your school assignment, but I at least want to assure you that it doesn't strike me as something you'll fail because of.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 01-17-2011 at 05:13 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sarugetchu (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2011, 06:58 AM

Thank you so, so much for your help!!! I'll make all of those changes now.

I know I said this was an assignment, but we were actually advised to get native Japanese speakers to go through it with us. We're final year so I think they know that we'll have met a lot of Japanese people last year. I think they know we're not fluent, but wanted the speeches to be at sort of speech competition level, sounding natural to a Japanese ear, which I just can't judge on my own.

Are all these rules you mentioned general ones for Japanese speeches? I performed one when I was studying over there but it was horrifyingly simple, and I was instructed to use long form. Any idea what they use in the likes of Speech Competitions?

In response as to why I used 小さな, I had originally written 小さいな when a Japanese friend who read through the first few lines a while back ago told me to make it chisa na. I had assumed it was more formal, or just flowed better in Japanese.

Thanks so much for reading it!!! Please tell me if any parts sounded odd so I can have a go at rewriting them!

Edit: Just checked with my tutor, and it seems we're not expected to do the speech in long form or use some of those other tips as they said it would be too formal, and should instead be more like the form used in Japanese Speech competitions. Thank you very much for your advice though, and it will definitely be handy in the future!

Last edited by Sarugetchu : 01-17-2011 at 12:52 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sarugetchu (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Just a quick post to say that I managed to post the speech in this thread, and have worked through it all night to hopefully remove the many glaring grammatical errors there were. Hopefully now the only problems will be that if words don't "sound right" to a Japanese ear.

As I'm looking for hopefully a native read through, should I perhaps move this to the Japanese-only language board?

Thanks for any help
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Here's a native read through. I will be pretty strict as you already are quite advanced.

「メードカフェ」と「キャバクラ」
現代日本の芸者
皆さん、こんにちは。今日私はメードカフェについてお話しし ます。皆様も最近かなり人気になった、メードカフェをご存知だと 思いますが、私はそれについてより詳しく調べました。

Why use two words of different degrees of politeness in addressing the audience?

それ > これ.

Drop 私. Say 今日はメードカフェ~~~

東京は、他の大都市と同じようにおかしいものがとても多い です。

Look at the verb and decide between で and に. You know about this, dontcha?  

しかし、メードカフェは日本にしかないものであります 。1900年代のイギリスのメード服を着る美少女が客 に小さなスイツやケーキを売る場所です。

Elongate the second syllable.

メードカフェは「メード喫茶」とも呼ばれて、その言葉 は「メード」と「喫茶店」から作りました。伝統的なイ ギリスのメード服ではなく、普通の家政婦のイメージで もない、その美少女はアニメの「萌え」のキャラクター のようなイメージを表現します。

Not incorrect but less natural than しています.

オタク文化で最近人気になった「萌え」というキラクターは若くて、かわいい純な女のキャラクターです。オタクにとって、メードキッサの店員さんはコス プレをする女性見たいに「萌え」の感じを伝えてくれます。

Why use that kanji? This has nothing to do with the verb 見る.

オタクの男性はその感じが好きなので、秋葉原メードキッサがいっぱいあります。

Hmm, same mistake for the second time. Maybe you don't know about the distiction. The verb is ある here and to go with it, you MUST use に. When you have an action verb like "kill", "eat", "run", use で.

オタク族はメード喫茶で伝統的な家長制度をたいけんで きます。なぜなら、メード喫茶に入る瞬間から、メードの店員さんは大声で客に「お帰りなさ いませ、ご主人様!」や「いらっしゃいませ、お嬢様! 」と話しかけます。

Past tense please. Just how we phrase it.

私はメード喫茶に行く前に、男性の客がメード喫茶で男 性の手先になる女性がいるため行くと思いました。今日 本ではもちろん女と男は平等ですが、メード喫茶の客は 伝統的な男性上位主義の文化に戻りたいと思いました。

> 戻りたいのだと. That's how you say it when what you thought has been proven wrong.

しかし、私はメードキッサに行ったとき、男性のオタク だけではなく、女の人や子供も来ていました。

Common "mistake" even among native speakers. Better writers don't use kanji there because of the connotations of the 供.

特に美少女に興味がなくても、メードキッサはまだ面白 いと思われる ようです。

> 思われている

人形見たいゴシックロリのコスプレする人も同然のメードは伝統的な女らしくてかわいいイメー ジを表現するので見やすいし、すごく丁寧なので話しや すい、客は楽しむことができるではないでしょうか。

Again 見たい. Is this how you were taught to write the word?
Place を after the コスプレ.
You can leave the first し but need to change the second し to ので for a better flow.

彼女たちはお客を楽しめる ために、人形みたいなゴシックロリのコスプレをして、 また伝統的な女らしい話し方をしているので、見た目も 、丁寧で話しやすい点も お客に魅力があるのではないかと思います。

> 楽しませる
> お客にとって

この写真はメードキッサの典型的な食べ物です。甘い物 や食べ物は味はともかく見た目かわいいです。

Didn't mention it before but why katakana for 喫茶?

> が

私は初めてメードキッサに行った時、意外に高いケーキ を注文したら、メードのお姉さんは早く持ってきて、歌を歌い始めました。

Think of the meaning and decide which of the two はやく's you need to use.

私はちょっと驚かせたので、まず静かにお姉さんをじろじろ見ました。

You surprised someone?

やがてお姉さんは私に歌ってもらいたいことに気づいて 、一緒に歌を歌ってしまいました。手でハートの形を作 りながら、ケーキを狙って、「おいしくな~れ、おいし くな~れ、萌え、萌え、ぴょんんん~!」と歌ったので す。その子供っぽい振る舞いは誇張することですが、日本人はそのよ うなかわいいイメージが好きなようだと思います

Awkward. > 好きなように思います/好きなように見えます/好きなのではないかと思います

日本はお店でも、テレビでも、携帯でもかわいいものがたく さんありますから。

You need to really unlearn this. Earlier the better.

メードの性的魅力に関して気にしなくても、その COLOR="red"]かわいさ物[/color]が女の人を引きつけます。

meaning?

私は2008年のバーベキュークラブというインタネットサイトによるメードカフェに関するアンケートの結果に 基づいて、この二つの円グラフを作りました。まず、e メールで人々に「メード喫茶に行ったことがありますか ?」と聞きました。左側にあるの円グラフと右側にあるの円グラフを見ると同じような結果がありました

男 > 男性
女 > 女性
ありました > 出ました/出ています

このアンケートの結果によると、男女とも行ったことが ある人が少なくて、「行きたくない」と言った人が「行 きたい」と言った人より多いであります

Impossible phrase. > 多い事がわかります。

行ったことある人は441人で、全体の一割ぐらいだけです。

Too colloquial. Insert の or が.

どうして「行きたくない」と答えた人が過半数でしょう か?このアンケートの結果によると、メード喫茶の需要 はあまり多くなさそうだが、女の人は男の人と同じように興味があるので、別に男の店員がいなくても、あまり男 性優位にならないようです。

だが > ですが. だが is more used in spoken language.
同じように > 同じものに

そのアンケートは次に、行ったことがない 人に「どうしてまだ行っていませんか?」と聞きました 。

この

また、その結果をこの二つの円グラフにしました。人は あまり恥ずかしくないのようです。私は「どうして恥ず かしくない?おかしい場所ではないでしょうか」と考え ました。
日本で他にもメード喫茶のようなバーがあります。「キ ャバクラ」と呼ばれるバーで男の人はメードのような「 ホステス」という女性と話すことができます。メード喫 茶と違って相手のホステスはいつも客のそばにいるので 、客は入る瞬間から帰るときまでの時間にお金を払わなければなりません。

入った
時間に対し

話しながら、一緒にアルコルを飲んで、罪のない戯れができます。男の客は好きなホ ステスを決めることもできます。東京の歌舞伎町いっぱいあるので、キャバクラはメード喫茶より潔白のイメージではありません。

いっぱい sounds too casual. Use 数多く or 多数.

> 潔白な

それに、男の人だけのためのものなんです。もちろん同 性愛者考慮していません。

メード喫茶より性差別をするものなので、日本人にとってキャバクラと比べればメード喫 茶のほうはあまりおかしくないのようだと思います。

> ところ/場所
> ないのだと 

外人から見るとそのバーはちょっとおかしいものだと思われ ますが、実は、そんな女性のような仕事は第二次世界大 戦の前から日本にありました。

> 外国人

1800年代からお茶屋で芸者はホステスみたいに男の 客と座ったり、飲んだりしてきました。現代日本に、そ の「御茶屋」はとても高くて、少なくて、排他的である ので、キャバクラで日本人はその伝統的な娯楽ができま す。なるほど、芸者はホステスと違って厳しい生活をやらなければならないんですが、「キャバクら」と「メード喫茶」は 御茶屋の近代文明の同等のものようだと思います。

なるほど here sounds prety odd. I recommend 確かに.
やらなければ > しなければ
ようだと > のように

メードの女性ホステスは自分の私生活が生けるので現代的な女性を代表ですが、仕事で男性に従順であ ることが期待されています

You have no choice but to use や.
生ける????
期待されています > 求められています

それで、そのような店は男性優位に立つ日本の代表的な 例でしょうか?しかし、女性のためのキャバクラとメー ド喫茶のようなお店もあります

Why the casual よ?

「執事喫茶」と「ホストクラブ」で女の人は美少年と同 じような娯楽ができるので、確かにそのお店は男性優位 に立たないだと思います。

Impossible phrasing. > 立つわけではないと

「執事喫茶」は「メード喫茶」ほど多くないですが、現 代日本芸者のような娯楽は誰でもできます。メードの女性とホ ステスと執事のような男性は現代日本の芸者だと思いま す。生活は芸者に比べてそんな厳しくないが、まだその芸人の役を演じています。
どうもありがとうございました

には > では
そんな > それほど
どうもありがとうございました > ご清聴ありがとう ございました
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sarugetchu (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2011, 04:58 PM

I honestly don't know how to thank you enough for this, I'm not even sure I can put into words how grateful I am. Thank you so, so much!! I never expected anyone to give up that much time/effort to be so thorough, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Hmm, same mistake for the second time. Maybe you don't know about the distiction. The verb is ある here and to go with it, you MUST use に. When you have an action verb like "kill", "eat", "run", use で.
I wasn't actually aware of this rule, and I don't know how I've come this far without looking into it properly or stumbling across it. In fact I remember asking my teacher in Japan about the distinction and was told you have to learn on a case by case basis, which I never understood. Thank you, I won't forget it now! (same goes for the kodomo kanji, and みたいに!)

I hope you don't mind if I just ask a few questions about some of the corrections I didn't understand fully. Of course please just ignore them if you're sick of this text, you've already helped me more than enough.

Quote:
私は初めてメードキッサに行った時、意外に高いケーキ を注文したら、メードのお姉さんは早く持ってきて、歌を歌い始めました。

Think of the meaning and decide which of the two はやく's you need to use.
I'm not actually aware of the difference if I'm honest. I'm not great with kanji. Is 速く more related to speed (eg. quickly) and 早くmore to do with time of day (eg. early)?

Quote:
メードの性的魅力に関して気にしなくても、その かわいさ物が女の人を引きつけます。

meaning?
Firstly, I changed かわいさ物 to かわいい物
I was going for the meaning "Even if they are not interested in the ‘sexuality’ of the maids, this cute image appeals to women." Does this sentence not mean that? I found this really difficult to say.
Unless, are you suggesting that I follow this up with a sentence concluding what it means that Maid Cafes appeal to women? I got a little confused.

Quote:
メード喫茶と違って相手のホステスはいつも客のそばに いるので、客は入る瞬間から帰るときまでの時間にお金を払わなければなりません。

入った
時間に対し
Does using 時間に対しmeanalong the lines of "according to time" or "in relation to the time"?

Quote:
それに、男の人だけのためのものなんです。もちろん同 性愛者考慮していません。

I was a bit confused by using は in this sentence. I wanted to say "They certainly do not consider gay people." but wouldn't changing 同性愛者 to the subject make it "Gay people do not consider it"? Should I perhaps change it to もちろん同性愛者は考慮さられていません。? I find this a bit confusing.

Quote:
メードの女性ホステスは自分の私生活が生けるので現代的な女性を代表ですが、仕事で男性に従順であ ることが期待されています

You have no choice but to use や.
生ける????
期待されています > 求められています
Probably a silly question, but why do I have no choice?
Also, my use of ikeru was because I was trying to say "Maids or hostesses can live their own private life so they represent the modern woman, but in their work they are expected to be submissive to men." Would it just be better with 私生活ができる ?

Quote:
やがてお姉さんは私に歌ってもらいたいことに気づいて 、一緒に歌を歌ってしまいました。手でハートの形を作 りながら、ケーキを狙って、「おいしくな~れ、おいし くな~れ、萌え、萌え、ぴょんんん~!」と歌ったので す。その子供っぽい振る舞いは誇張することですが、日本人はそのよ うなかわいいイメージが好きなようだと思います

Awkward. > 好きなように思います/好きなように見えます/好きなのではないかと思います
I see how this is awkward now, but I just was wondering about ように思います, which I noticed you again mentioned later. Is this like saying "I think along these lines"? Just so I can use it again in the future.

Thank you sooooo much again! This is much more useful than my classes. I'll post my rewrite with all these additions (and some additional silly mistakes fixed) in this post for comparison for anybody hoping to use this example as a study tool.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-17-2011, 05:31 PM

masaegu, you deserve a lot of gratitude for this. That's pretty incredible. I learned a few things reading this, too.

I assume you didn't suggest changing the sentence endings like I did because it's perfectly fine to use either style? Or maybe it depends on the audience?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-18-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarugetchu View Post
I wasn't actually aware of this rule, and I don't know how I've come this far without looking into it properly or stumbling across it. In fact I remember asking my teacher in Japan about the distinction and was told you have to learn on a case by case basis, which I never understood. Thank you, I won't forget it now! (same goes for the kodomo kanji, and みたいに!)
This rule is actually quite simple and very useful as long as you study Japanese.

に: Only several stationary verbs take it. ある、いる、住む、泊まる, etc. and all the "compound + する" words denoting a form of existing or staying such as 滞在する、存在する, etc. 

で: All other verbs signifying an "action" or "active participation". 

Quote:
I'm not actually aware of the difference if I'm honest. I'm not great with kanji. Is 速く more related to speed (eg. quickly) and 早くmore to do with time of day (eg. early)?
That is correct. Though I'm foreign to the English language, I would imagine that one would use "quickly" or "fast" rather than "early" when saying "The waitress brought the dish ( )", would one not?

Quote:
Firstly, I changed かわいさ物 to かわいい物
I was going for the meaning "Even if they are not interested in the ‘sexuality’ of the maids, this cute image appeals to women." Does this sentence not mean that? I found this really difficult to say.
Unless, are you suggesting that I follow this up with a sentence concluding what it means that Maid Cafes appeal to women? I got a little confused.
As I type, I still see かわいさ物 in your post but nevermind.  The best way I could change it to would be かわいさそのもの or かわいさこそ.

I'm not suggesting that another sentence be added for explanation (because the change I've just made would sufficiently serve to emphasize the cuteness itself).

Quote:
Does using 時間に対しmean along the lines of "according to time" or "in relation to the time"?
Yes. it does. You just cannot say 時間にお金を払わなければなりません.
You don't "pay the time", do you? You pay someone for the time.

Quote:
I was a bit confused by using は in this sentence. I wanted to say "They certainly do not consider gay people." but wouldn't changing 同性愛者 to the subject make it "Gay people do not consider it"? Should I perhaps change it to もちろん同性愛者は考慮さられていません。? I find this a bit confusing.
Who said anything about changing 同性愛者 to the subject? You seem to have some misinformed and oversimplified ideas about the more important particles. (But you aren't the only one.) The subject is the "hidden" hostess bars even if you use は there. You blindly labeled the noun that physically existed in print in front of it as the subject, but that is not how Japanese works.

If I had a last message to Japanese-learners, it would be:
"Whenever you see a verb, actively look for the subject and object as they are very often not even mentioned. Do this wrong and you will get the whole sentence wrong, sometimes even the whole writing" And there is even no exaggeration here.

By using は, you can emphasize "同 性愛者" more naturally than when you use を. 

Quote:
Probably a silly question, but why do I have no choice?
Also, my use of ikeru was because I was trying to say "Maids or hostesses can live their own private life so they represent the modern woman, but in their work they are expected to be submissive to men." Would it just be better with 私生活ができる ?
Because if you say AかB, you are implying only one of them applies. By using や, you are saying "and/or", which I thought was what you meant.

But what is 生ける? Look it up in a good dictionary and it will tell you that it means "to arrange flowers (in a vase)". I am sure you know the word 生け花.  It does not have another meaning. Or does this just mean you still have problems in forming the potential, passive voice, etc?

私生活 means "private life". Are you sure this is what you want to say, though? I myself would lean more towards "independent life", which would be 自立した生活, but you are the author.

Quote:
I see how this is awkward now, but I just was wondering about ように思います, which I noticed you again mentioned later. Is this like saying "I think along these lines"? Just so I can use it again in the future.
Exactly. It's a softer way of saying ~~と思います and is very much preferred by us even if when are 100% certain of something.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I assume you didn't suggest changing the sentence endings like I did because it's perfectly fine to use either style? Or maybe it depends on the audience?
As someone with a rather extensive experience in public speaking (namely around 400 times) or perhaps just as a Japanese-speaker, I don't know why your school had taught you what it taught you. That is like the complete reverse of how most speeches are delivered. It reminded me of the political speeches delivered on the streets in Meiji Era. In present-day Japan, that style seems more appropriate for writing. The spoken language has dramatically been feminized and therefore softened during the last 100 years or so, particularly since the end of WWII.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sarugetchu (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
But what is 生ける? Look it up in a good dictionary and it will tell you that it means "to arrange flowers (in a vase)". I am sure you know the word 生け花.  It does not have another meaning. Or does this just mean you still have problems in forming the potential, passive voice, etc?
Ah! Sorry! I was on autopilot and totally didn't realise my mistake here. I realize now it should be 生きられる。 I've left it as できる though as examples seem to show either 生活をする or 生活する being used.

Quote:
私生活 means "private life". Are you sure this is what you want to say, though? I myself would lean more towards "independent life", which would be 自立した生活, but you are the author.
I struggled with wording this sentence as to me private life and independant life mean similar things, I just wanted to emphasize the freedom they have outside of their working environment. In that sense, I think 自立した生活 fits better as I really wanted this independance to be a point. Thanks for pointing it out!

I changed this sentence to: メードの女性やホステスは自分の自立した生活ができるので現代的な女性を代表ですが、仕事で男性に従順であ ることが求められています

I haven't posted the corrected piece just yet as I have to remove all the blasted furigana so it formats correctly, but I'll do that later and post the English too so any learners can compare.

Oh, and I was just wondering... If I was to say "What do you think?" at the end of my speech, would 「皆さん、メード喫茶に関してどうだと思いますか?」 or would について be more appropriate (not limiting it to personal feelings)?

Thank you so, so, so, so much for your help, masaegu!! If there's anything at all I can do to return the favour please just say! Thanks again!!!